What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vortex generators

N13BN

Well Known Member
I've mentioned here before that I'm in the process of building an RV-3 powered by a Jabiru 3300. My hope is that it will fit within the LightSport parameters. In order to lower the stall speed, we have built Tailwind wingtips.
In a further effort to reduce stall speed, I ordered up some vortex generators from Stallspeed. These were installed on N283RV, my flying RV-3.
Results: both tests were conducted with almost full fuel, giving a full-up weight of 1125 pounds. The before numbers were 59 mph w/flaps and 62 clean. After installing the "feathers", flap stall was 55 mph and 59 without. I also did a bunch of slow flight and it seemed that the plane was more controllable when operated near stall speed. Not scientific, just my observations.

Bill Newkirk

Aren't you going to vastly exceed the upper limit of 120 on the speed in an RV-3?

Don't you just have to limit your cruise RPM/power setting to a value that will limit your speed to a maximum of 120 kts? Look at the Carbon Cub with a 180HP engine installed. That is how they do it, IIRC.

Limiting speed

Yes, I plan to placard it just like they do with the Carbon Cub and many others. The Jabiru 3300 is used in many factory-built LSAs and most of them must limit their top speed to be legal.
I will make some top speed measurements on my way to the Golden State Flyin on Saturday and report back. However, my plane will exceed VNE if one is not careful.

Bill Newkirk

Back