What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slow flyin'

N13BN

Well Known Member
Four years ago I started work on an RV-3 but due to a pretty full life( wife, grandsons, motorcycles, etc) progress was slow, so I bought N283RV to fly in the meantime. In almost 3 years I have flown it about 225 hours. I love to fly it low and slow. A typical flight for me would be flying at 2000 or 2100 rpm. Less noise and vibration, really good fuel burn and an absolutely carefree time.
Here is the rub. "
"Experts" tell me that I'm ruining my engine, that I'm coking it up, etc. However, at 245 hours the plugs hardly needed cleaning.

Comments?

Bill Newkirk,
Prather, CA

Four years ago I started work on an RV-3 but due to a pretty full life( wife, grandsons, motorcycles, etc) progress was slow, so I bought N283RV to fly in the meantime. In almost 3 years I have flown it about 225 hours. I love to fly it low and slow. A typical flight for me would be flying at 2000 or 2100 rpm. Less noise and vibration, really good fuel burn and an absolutely carefree time.
Here is the rub. "
"Experts" tell me that I'm ruining my engine, that I'm coking it up, etc. However, at 245 hours the plugs hardly needed cleaning.

Comments?

Bill Newkirk,
Prather, CA

Bill,

I am of the opinion that if you lean the sucker aggressively, you can fly forever at that power setting and the engine will last forever.

I run my 0360 most of the time at 5-6 gph leaned out and a recent check of the plugs revealed the same thing, clean as a whistle. :)

I've had similar experience with the Continental O-470 on my Cessna 180.

Low power settings are fine if it's leaned aggressively. I often run at about 41% or 42% power, at about 6 gph (and 115 mph TAS), and if I don't lean it aggressively the valves will stick next time I start. If I do lean it thoroughly, it'll be fine.

The plugs look good in either case - but David-aviator had it right:

"....lean the sucker aggressively...."

Dave

slow in the rv is very doable. I have a C/S and run it 2400. I know that's not what your asking, but I have the throttle way back, Maf at 20 and run 50 lean of peak always, even at 1000ft off. Engine oil looks almost like new at 40hrs on oil is not uncommon and I never have a problem with plugs.

Have fun

Here is the rub. "

Comments?

Bill Newkirk,
Prather, CA

Have fun Bill. I just can't get my head around the concept.

Bob Axsom

True

True but I always try to appreciate the the point of view, etc. I 'm having a little trouble with this one but I'm sure if I were in the situation I would understand. No I wouldn't, sorry - it is like soaring in a P-51.

Bob Axsom

Summer oil Temps

yea, Bob's correct- But I would see higher oil and maybe CHT temps when at low speed with high outside Temps- If you don't, Go slow... (Not for me though)

I also do my evening flight at 21 & 21 FP. At 2K ft, cruse is about 145+ mph and fuel burn is 4.8 gph. I can fly for seven days on a tank of fuel. Where I live, Sonoma and Napa valleys, there is a lot to see. In one evening flight I can circle the Pt. Reyes lighthouse, top Mt. Tam and view the Golden Gate bridge, slide up the Napa Valley and circle a volcano.

And doing it cheaper than a LS.............

Hi Bill,

How do you like the 3B? I bought one last fall (because I dont have it in me to build one this nice!). I've owned 15 planes over the years, everything from an Aeronca to a Mooney and a Bonanza and all kinds of planes in between. This little RV3B is one **** of a lot of fun to fly. Responsive, climbs like a bird, fast etc. etc. The only problem I have is landing it nice and smooth. Every so often I'll surprise myself and not even know I've touched down. Most of the time there is a hop or 2 or 3. :) What have you found to be the key?

Thanks,
Al

I also do my evening flight at 21 & 21 FP. At 2K ft, cruse is about 145+ mph and fuel burn is 4.8 gph. I can fly for seven days on a tank of fuel. Where I live, Sonoma and Napa valleys, there is a lot to see. In one evening flight I can circle the Pt. Reyes lighthouse, top Mt. Tam and view the Golden Gate bridge, slide up the Napa Valley and circle a volcano.

I may have the 7 but I'll tell ya, it sure is nice to tootle around at 150 burning low amounts of fuel taking in the beauty of my area. I love evening flights as well like this. My wife loves the flights like this.

I will say that on that last 10 miles from the airport, you can't beat the wide open 50 rop setting blasting back to land. today alone, I reported 10 out to the tower, he first said go 21R report 3 mile, will be following behind a cherokee. I came back with, let me repeat back, follow behind a cherokee on 21R with 3 mile, with kind of a question. I was blasting at 165kts. He came back with, change that, straight in for 21L cleared to land. I laughed to myself.

It is a nice area

I was stationed at Hamilton AFB and lived in Petaluma before being transfered to Korea. I liked the area very much.

Bob Axsom

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do lean it quite aggressively. During winter it is a struggle to get the oil temps up, but I completely block off the cooler.
Allen, I love the 3. I have well over 500 landings and I still stink at full-stall landings. I find that if I nail the speed at 75 mph and maintain some power, it will wheel-land quite nicely and can make the first turnoff (about 1500'). If landing distance is not an issue, 80-85mph will result in the smoothest landings. As a result, I almost always do a wheel-landing.

Bill Newkirk

leaning

I would like to know what is the best way to lean your engine. I have a friend with a rv8 and 0360/hartzell c/s. he says he sets mp at about 23 and rpm at 2300 then pulls mixture out until she studders and then pushes it in just until it runs smooth. Is that a good way?

bird

Yep....

....it's been done exactly like that for decades on Cessna 150's and Skyhawks and many others, if you don't have EGT's.

Best Mr. Bird,

P-51 soaring

...No I wouldn't, sorry - it is like soaring in a P-51.

Bob Axsom

Not as silly as it might sound. I don't know of any soaring flights in a P-51 but there is at least one well documented instance of a P-38 soaring in the Sierra wave with engines stopped and props feathered. Just about any airplane can be a sailplane. Just about--the Space Shuttle, probably not.

Back