What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jigs for the 3

bnther

I'm New Here
I was visiting the Van's website and the RV-3 shows no pre-punch parts. So I'm assuming that people are making their own jigs for this? I love the RV-3, but as a first time builder, I'm wondering the jig-less would be a better route for me.

Input from people who have 'been there' would be appreciated :)

There might be good reason to avoid the RV-3 as a "first time builder" (see Randy's website About RV-3 project ) but I would not say the "jigs" are part of it.

Some of the other kits do need/suggest jigs, and they are, in reality, simple woodwork construction. In the case of the RV-3 at least, the "plan" for the jigs are included in the instructions.

Andy

We are in the middle of our RV-3 construction right now, and I will say that previous building experience is pretty darn valuable. Certainly these airplane have been built by first time builders, back when it was th only way to get an RV. If you are motivated enough, and have some experience with how aluminum airplanes are built, it can be done. But the plans leave a LOT up to the knowledge and imagination of the builder. AS Andy said, building the jigs is easy - you can look for my previous posts here in the forums to see how it all goes together. Building the airplane will take a lot of determination and knowledge gathering.

Paul

I had a feeling that the RV-3 might not be the easiest of the Van lineup to build.

Many thanks for the input.

Tim...

I had a feeling that the RV-3 might not be the easiest of the Van lineup to build.
That is certainly the case... but at the end of the day, you are building an aeroplane to fly, and if your requirement / desire / budget is met by an RV-3, there is little point building something else!

Rob Holmes is a 1st time builder Link and details things well...

Andy

Frustrating

I am not a first-time builder, BUT I am a first-time RV builder. After months of slogging away and much detective work, I found it quite helpful to buy a flying -3, which I did. Now when I am stumped, I trot down to the airport(a 36-mile trot) and have a look-see. It works great. My project is far enough along that I'm ready to sell N283RV.

Bill Newkirk
Prather, CA
559-430-7220

Back