What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small transponder

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience with Microair or Becker transponders?

I'm looking for a small 2 1/4" face transponder since my goochy SL70R (buried transponder) is acting up.

Thanks

Personally, I don't have experience with either of these transponders, but my "transponder cert guy" recommends the Becker and won't "touch" a MicroAir.

Personally, I don't have experience with either of these transponders, but my "transponder cert guy" recommends the Becker and won't "touch" a MicroAir.

I agree with Mel, Microair has had their share of problems. Becker is a better way to go.

I was told the problem is with the software in the Microair. It was designed for minimal transponding, minimal "queries". In the US there are many radar stations, and aircraft "quering" our transponders. Their software cannot handle it and freeze up. Thgis is what I have heard anyway. RocketBob knows for sure.

Last edited:
Microair has had their problems and Becker stuff is good IF you can find a service shop that can service it.

Becker & Microair Transponders

I currently have the Becker in my 4. Works fine. I had the Microair in my 6A. Worked fine.
My two cents...

I put a Microair in my RV-4 because it was cheaper than the Becker and available at the time (2003/4). After shelling out $500+ for a service bulletin they never bothered to send me to fix a system fault it was delivered with, it would've been cheaper and better to wait for the Becker.

Nauga
N416RV

I was told the problem is with the software in the Microair. [...] Their software cannot handle it and freeze up. Thgis is what I have heard anyway.
It had to do with saturating due to Mode S interrogations and was the subject of a service bulletin (the one mentioned in my previous post in this thread) a while ago. They tell me mine has been fixed but I have not used it in a while - down loooong time for a rebuild.

Nauga,
N416RV

I like my Microair

As someone previously reported, the issue with the Microair was software related to Mode S saturation. Since mine has worked perfectly for the last 16 months and 150 hours, I would say it's no longer an issue.

Tony

Mine has worked great for one year and 105 hours. When it was tested its output at the antenna was well in excess of the claimed 175 watts. It seems to be a pretty nice little unit.

FYI - check with the Sonex builders. They have very limited panel space and one of these two transponders is what a good number of them use.

Done

I went with Becker. Ordered the 175W version simply because the 250W version was a backordered item from ACS.

I recently installed a Becker in my -3. Perfect. Chief has them for less than $1700.

Bill Newkirk
N283RV

Back