What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPhone Mount

megerj

I'm a ForeFlight user and like the features...so in my new to me RV-8 I have been looking for a way to mount an iPhone for local type flight - for cross country I take a full size iPad that I use in my T210N and reference that when I need to.

The Scosche mount has been excellent so far...no issues during light acro and minor bumps. Have not hit any bigger turbulence yet through. The way I have the phone on the mount it will handle positive G well - negative G it might come off...but has not yet. It does block the view, but not the access to, the switches but it is a quick grab and stuff under your leg moment away from being removed...

Question to the collective - am I putting any stress on the skin with the suction mount and pulling G? What else am I missing??

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 254
I'm a ForeFlight user and like the features...so in my new to me RV-8 I have been looking for a way to mount an iPhone for local type flight - for cross country I take a full size iPad that I use in my T210N and reference that when I need to.

The Scosche mount has been excellent so far...no issues during light acro and minor bumps. Have not hit any bigger turbulence yet through. The way I have the phone on the mount it will handle positive G well - negative G it might come off...but has not yet. It does block the view, but not the access to, the switches but it is a quick grab and stuff under your leg moment away from being removed...

Question to the collective - am I putting any stress on the skin with the suction mount and pulling G? What else am I missing??
On my 7A there was enough room on the panel to use a very solid approach - no pun intended. It was magnetic. The magnets glue to the panel and the metal disks, very thin, fit inside the iPhone case. When in use it was rock solid on the panel and I could operate it as needed with no relative movement. If anyone wants the name of the product PM me and I wll look in my hangar for the empty box.

Attachments

• IMG_6582.jpg
    IMG_6582.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6581.jpg
    IMG_6581.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
My phone is on a custom aluminum mount that attaches to the panel using the top two right side panel attach screws (just above where you've attached yours). I have an Otter Box clip attached to the bracket that holds the phone case. This is all very rigidly attached to the plane - and gets the phone up out of your lap. Easier for quick glances.

Last edited:
My phone is on a custom mount that attaches to the panel using the top two right side panel attach screws (just above where you've attached yours). Very rigid and gets the phone up out of your lap. Easier for quick glances.

Sounds interesting - can you throw up a picture?

Sorry for the photo. This is the best I have on hand. Most of the bracket is hidden behind the plastic holder. Imagine a trapezoidal shaped piece of aluminum with one 3/4" flange wide enough to engage the two panel screws. It projects off the panel about 3 inches. Another flange bent in the aluminum to attach the plastic clip. I mocked it up with cardboard to get the sizes and angles right. PM me if you want more close ups and I'll try to get some tonight. Or will be at Oshkosh early next week with the plane.

Attachments

• a0 Panel.jpg
    a0 Panel.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 244

This small section of skin appears fairly well supported on the 3 nearest sides to your suction cup. Mounting anything of substantial weight in this manner to a skin is not the best choice. Think of it like a sheet of paper, it has no strength in the directions that would support this cantilevered load, which is exacerbated by acro or vibration from buffet or turbulence. With that said, your phone is not so heavy, and your G's are not so much. I would worry more about hitting it with my knee and possibly deforming the skin making it look ugly from the outside. If the suction cup itself is not causing a visible deformation in the skin then you are probably safe, as this indicates the skin is stiff enough to support/maintain the suction load itself. Still I would hate for this to end up in the foot well during some intense acro, maybe a safety leash could help.

This small section of skin appears fairly well supported on the 3 nearest sides to your suction cup. Mounting anything of substantial weight in this manner to a skin is not the best choice. Think of it like a sheet of paper, it has no strength in the directions that would support this cantilevered load, which is exacerbated by acro or vibration from buffet or turbulence. With that said, your phone is not so heavy, and your G's are not so much. I would worry more about hitting it with my knee and possibly deforming the skin making it look ugly from the outside. If the suction cup itself is not causing a visible deformation in the skin then you are probably safe, as this indicates the skin is stiff enough to support/maintain the suction load itself. Still I would hate for this to end up in the foot well during some intense acro, maybe a safety leash could help.

All great points - its is out of the way from my knee (I'm 6'4" and have the rudder pedals adjust all the way forward).

Thanks for the input

RV8. - Ram Mount Location

6'5" pilot..

Have this on both the left & right sides.. for iphone & iPad

AM-JKLVZPhqFUNlI_OzBstimX5KRIRzNrz2AqwZr2EUzF4_3iOEvegkZFGN9WBnaWsuFifzf9xVXw6iFw6iS6JI5zfT-vydW7rAMnj5d-f4aUGqCuUDy3c6K605KA6yNcMUPjnvI9hM5h8WcY9d4f6CrQUqC=w1000-h750

RV-8 Ram mount for phone/tablet

Meegs,

Here’s where I put the Ram mount in my -8, rock solid and works well. I use an IPhone SE in the pictured mount but I can also use an IPad Mini with the same ball mount (I have one on both sides in basically the same spot). If using the IPAD Mini for XC it goes on the right & the Iphone goes on the left and bluetooths to the audio panel for inflight music. I have my radio stack on the left so if I’m using the IPAD Mini it goes on the right mount.

B319-F354-9-F1-C-48-F4-AA6-C-2-E20-E5-A13576.jpg

9639-FBEF-BBB0-4-F3-D-93-D4-86308-A8324-E3.jpg

Last edited:
Back