What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motor mount tabs

N13BN

Well Known Member
It is about time to powder coat the motor mount. Has anyone welded on any tabs to the mount before powder-coating in order to minimize the use of Adell clamps down the road?

Bill Newkirk
Prather, CA

Motor Mount Tabs - I Did

es to your question - I probably have at least 6 (maybe more) mounting tabs that I can think of on my HRII. 800hr and 10 years later - no problems. I am planning on the same approach on my -3 when I get to that point.

OBTW - I am about 60 (or so) miles south of you, down around NAS Lemoore -I'd like to come up sometime and see your progress.

N13BN & HFS

Please keep this going with pics when available. Good idea for others to benefit from. Pics can go by email if you don't want to post here.

Larry's right, they'd be of general interest. If you can post them here, we'd like to see them.

Thanks,
Dave

It is about time to powder coat the motor mount. Has anyone welded on any tabs to the mount before powder-coating in order to minimize the use of Adell clamps down the road?

Bill Newkirk
Prather, CA

If this is a question about possible impacts on heat treatment by welding, it would be good to know, what the factory procedure is. Do they perform a heat treatment after the engine mount is built, or are they done? Vans could probably answer that. Knowing that it worked for someone else is nice, but better still to know from the folks that designed the engine mount that mods don't interfere with strength.

I've been looking into a similar question for Cessna spring landing gear. There are instructions to avoid removing the surface shot peen, warnings about paint removers- hydrogen embrittlement, and finally warnings about welding (definitely not). I came across pictures of a step that had been welded on instead of epoxied. Gear broke at weld. The high heat of welding created a very weak area.

If this is a question about possible impacts on heat treatment by welding, it would be good to know, what the factory procedure is. Do they perform a heat treatment after the engine mount is built, or are they done? Vans could probably answer that. Knowing that it worked for someone else is nice, but better still to know from the folks that designed the engine mount that mods don't interfere with strength.

I've been looking into a similar question for Cessna spring landing gear. There are instructions to avoid removing the surface shot peen, warnings about paint removers- hydrogen embrittlement, and finally warnings about welding (definitely not). I came across pictures of a step that had been welded on instead of epoxied. Gear broke at weld. The high heat of welding created a very weak area.

The RV-6 plans are more detailed than later plans.

The motor mounts are not heat treated parts, so all of the Cessna spring steel precautions you mention are not applicable. It's only a spring gear because it is heat treated...:)

Treat them like any other welded 4130 aircraft part.

Back