What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: First Impressions

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I have had more than a few PM?s from folks asking about the flying qualities of our new RV-3B, and thought I might as well share what I have observed so far (with less than five hours on the clock). I have quite a few hours in most of the RV line, but had never flown a -3 before this (no time in the -4 either), these truly are ?first impressions, and will probably mature with more experience. This aircraft is near the top end of the scale in weight for a -3, and carries an IO-320 with a Whirlwind 151 composite, constant speed, 3-bladed prop. Other configurations will, of course, vary. Impressions, in no particular order?.

1. In the two-seat RV?s, you feel like you are in an airframe, and there is an engine attached. The -3 is small enough that (at least with the IO-320), you feel like you?re flying an engine, and there is an airframe there to control it.

2. Comparing it to the -8, it is very light on the controls. The -8 I have always considered solid and capable (much, much lighter than a SPAM can, but more solid than the lighter -6) ? the -3 is light in a way that it takes no effort to point it where you want it.

3. Control movement is negligible at cruise speed ? mild pressure will give just about any roll rate you would want.

4. Pitch and roll are harmonious. Rudder pressure is a bit higher at cruise speed. All control movements result in very crisp responses ? rates start and stop almost instantaneously ? there is little build up ? you are level, then you?re in a sixty degree bank, just like that.

5. Power response in formation is exceptional ? moving fore and aft is instantaneous, and it is easy to stop relative motion quickly.

6. Visibility from the cockpit is great! So good that it is hard to develop a horizon reference for level flight, as no part of the airframe within easy view of the pilot is on the horizon!

7. Landing and take-off are conventional RV. Directional control is good, and even in a crosswind, it behaves fine. I felt at home in the take-off and landing immediately. With a silver bullet steering ink, ground handling is precise.

8. It goes like scat! We are breaking in the engine, so running high power settings (about 80% average) and are truing 182 KTAS at 4,000?. In order to come down, I have to pull power back to keep from exceeding redline. Climb rate is phenomenal ? the VVI on the G3X only shows +/- 2,000 fpm (as the EFIS designer says ?anything more than that is just for bragging anyway?), so I can?t tell you how fast it?s going vertically until we do some timed climbs.

9. Our cockpit is extremely comfortable, but no two -3 cockpits are alike ? we went overboard on cockpit design and appointments, and it paid off in terms of making the ?office? work for me.

10. Our CG is in the back half of the envelope, and it feels perfect ? not at all as twitchy as an -8 loaded in the back half. I haven?t done any quantitative stability testing yet, but I have noticed no tendency towards over-controlling as it gets slow.

I?ll keep folks updated as the test program moves along, but we?re having lousy weather this week in Houston, and have the holidays coming up. If you are building a -3, I predict that you?re going to love it! If you are thinking seriously about building a -3?stop thinking about it!! ;)

Paul

Nice report

Kind of makes me want to throw away this -8 in the basement and start a -3 :D

Just kidding.

Kind of makes me want to throw away this -8 in the basement and start a -3 :D

Just kidding.

Me too, except I justed finished mine. I'll stick with my 'grocery gitter' for now, but I'd love to have a -3 in my future.

Last edited:
Climb rate is phenomenal ? the VVI on the G3X only shows +/- 2,000 fpm (as the EFIS designer says ?anything more than that is just for bragging anyway?), so I can?t tell you how fast it?s going vertically until we do some timed climbs.

If you're really interested in bragging, flip your MFD over to the INFO page where you can see vertical speed up to +/- 9999 fpm. :)

mcb

That'll humble him!

I was told that the Skycrane held the time to 20,000' or something similar for years. They anchored it down by its lifting hook and pulled as much power as possible, with the rotor bowing upward like crazy, then released the hook and shot skyward like a cannon:eek:....reckon that would peg your 9999 FPM gauge, Matt?

Best,

Climb rate is phenomenal ? the VVI on the G3X only shows +/- 2,000 fpm (as the EFIS designer says ?anything more than that is just for bragging anyway?), so I can?t tell you how fast it?s going vertically until we do some timed climbs.

In addition to Matt's tip on viewing vertical speed in excess of 2,000 fpm, you can also look at the vertical speed logged to your SD card each second if you want to use that information for bragging. :)

Great post! I think everyone wants a -3 now!

Steve

I have been intrigued by the RV3 since I first saw one on the ramp on Statesville NC 18 months ago. I was told by the owner who was getting ready to fly it to TX that it once was Pappy Boyingtons aircraft. I have followed the RV3 thread on the test flights. Hopefully one day I will get a chance to fly one.
Great job on the engine out flight!!!!!! Well planned and Well executed!!!!!

George

......If you are building a -3, I predict that you?re going to love it! If you are thinking seriously about building a -3?stop thinking about it!! ;)

Paul

Thanks for the report, Paul, it about cinches it for me.

I've got a very low ball bid in for a nearly completed (but old) 8 kit and it would be a steal if the guy accepts it but am about ready to cancel on it.

99% of my flying is solo so the 3 really fits the bill for local simulated combat patrolling. The only down side is OSH, I'd have to reside in the dorm instead of the HBC area. Maybe a baggage pod could be designed for such a trip. :)

Flying the RV-3

Thanks Paul,

It sounds like a rocket ship. I wonder what John Harmon was thinking when he decided to stuff an I0360 200 hp angle valve into a RV-3 airframe? The 0320, 150 hp, wood prop, RV-3 I flew was a great performer.

I'm looking forward to Louise reporting her first impressions.

Fly safe,

Paul, great write up.

How are the landings coming? Wheel landings? 3 point?

The -3 I owned (man I miss that plane, :eek: ) landed best with a 3 point and just a tig of power added just before flair. Other wise she would want to land tail first by 1 second and it was a little too bouncy for me. A tad bit of power solved most of my landing issues, but I had an 0-235.

Just curious how your landings are coming.

There is something special about being in a plane that only carries one person. There is no transition training, you are on your own, and I love it.

Paul, don't ever leave the keys in it! ;)

Last edited:
Standard, questions?

Paul, my first RV flight was a Three back in the day. Ruined forever as I thought ALL the RVs flew like that. Took me 20 years and several airplanes to recreate the magic in a 2 place, the X comes closer than any so far. Congrats, it only gets better!

Smokey

Paul,

How about slowing down?

Also, how about descending?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes...you have to slow down to descend!! :D

At engine break-in power, the thing is going so fast, you have no choice but to pull the throttle back when it's time to go down, or you're over redline.

Paul

At engine break-in power, the thing is going so fast, you have no choice but to pull the throttle back when it's time to go down, or you're over redline.

Heck naw, just pull into a 60 degree climb or so and when you get no more airspeed indication, apply full left rudder and put the stick in the right rear corner. You won't come down very fast, but you won't have to pull power either. :D

Heck naw, just pull into a 60 degree climb or so and when you get no more airspeed indication, apply full left rudder and put the stick in the right rear corner. You won't come down very fast, but you won't have to pull power either. :D

Now you're bringing back memories of the old hypersonic "Heavy Glider".....:rolleyes:

Think Like a Backpacker

.....The only down side is OSH, I'd have to reside in the dorm instead of the HBC area. Maybe a baggage pod could be designed for such a trip. :)

Not so. I've been to the Big Show three times in my -3, camping in HBC. Just gotta think like a backpacker and not put any more load in your little bird than you would carry on your back. About 35lb is enough - not difficult since you don't need cookware, food or water in the kit. If you want amenities beyond the basics, the local Target is just across the field.

more RV3 flight notes

Had an interesting crosswind experience in my -3 recently. Winds were 12kts gust20, 90deg to the runway (reported by tower). I had the rt. rudder all the way to the floor to keep tracking straight; had to add brake on the rollout. My feeling from this is 16kts-g24 is the maximum wind for a -3. (I was in 20kt-g28 once, but that was straight down the runway, easy).

Wait until you get to spins: with flaps up it's steady & solid, do as many turns as you like; opposite rudder & fwd stick stops it clean within 1 turn. Flaps down it bobbles around and wants to come out of it.

Let us know how the flutter testing goes, and what your test profile was.

Steven
700 RV3 hrs
(and counting ...)

Similar impressions

Paul, good post, and since so few people get to fly a -3 I'm sure we're all experiencing the -3 vicariously through you.

When I first flew my -3B I posted my flying impressions at various points too, in re-reading them they seem quite similar to yours. For anyone wishing to compare they can be found HERE.

Stay safe!

There is a lot of good information published by previous builders, it supplements the plan very well. And these flight reports are very encouraging.

The only factor unresolved for me is financial. It seems that the 8 has an unquestioned market value, the 3 may be struggling a bit perhaps because of the early spar issue. But that has been resolved with the mod and the new spar in the 3B.

Seems most 3's are going in the low 20's whereas the 8's are way above that. There is one very nice 3 on Barnstormers for $39,000 and it has not sold.

But, the issue isn't all about money, is it?

I've about decided to go with the 3 but will hold off a final decision until after the holidays, need to think about it just a bit more.

Definitely want to order before Feb 1. I am psyched to build another airplane, a centerline seat fighter to protect Missouri boarders. :)

Go 4 it, David!

I think many of the -3s being sold have issues. There aren't many -3Bs out there yet. Remember that Randy asked $80k (or near that figure) for his lovely -3B and it sold very quickly. Don't know for how much it sold for, but th asking price was appropriate to his probable cost of building.

RV-3 Sale

David, the 3 for sale for $39000 WAS mine..it sold for full price and is currently in a container bound for England.

Bill Newkirk

Back