What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-3 QB wing problems?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I have read several posts regarding -3QB wing problems like tip rib/ wing skin overhang for wing tip install, need to saw off some spar in the fuse etc. Does anyone know if the QB process is debugged yet ??? Van's has done a great job and we all appreciate them. I just need to decide to order slow build or QB. The logic is why pay for brainteasers !! Please take the time to comment. Your input is appreciated.
Larry

All I can tell you is that we fed back the errors we found to the guy's at Van's, and they appreciated it. I can only assume that since they are conscientious, the feedback got to the quick builders. I actually think that "custom builders" is a better term for the -3 wings - I doubt they do them as an assembly line - more likely, one pair at a time in the corner of the shop.

Paul

I received my QB wings back in late 07 and had no real issues. If you made it this far in the build then trimming a skin here or there or replacing a few universal head rivets with flush rivets will be a non issue. Installing flop tubes and relocating the level sensor in the prebuilt tanks is a different issue however. I couldn't figure out an easy way to do is so I just settled for the rigid fuel pickups.

To add to what Robb stated, the only real issue I'm having is the amount of overhang on the skins. It would be nice to have more than the 3/8" to 7/16" of skin to fasten the wingtip to.
By the way, we built new wingtips modelled after Wittman Tailwind tips. They extend 29". Thw wittman folks say that these tips decreased sink-rate from 1200 ft/min. to 850, compared with a wing with no tips. We'll see. I'm also putting a Jabiru 3300 in mine with no cheek on the cowl.

Bill Newkirk
Prather, CA

Tony;
About 10", I think. I ordered a conical mount from Vans and a will weld up an extension to span the difference between the engine and the mount. This is much simpler than building a completely new mount. Hope it works.

Bill Newkirk

LSA

Larry, Don't mean to jump in your post, just wondering if anyone is aware of a RV-3 the is light sport???

Will be over to Clinton soon to see your Parakeet, I now have 40 hours on the RV-3

Perry

Back