What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How old were you when you started building your RV?

How old were you when you started building your RV?

• 19 or Younger

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 20 - 24

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 25 - 29

Votes: 41 10.2%
  • 30 - 34

Votes: 48 11.9%
  • 35 - 39

Votes: 62 15.4%
  • 40 - 44

Votes: 39 9.7%
  • 45 - 49

Votes: 52 12.9%
  • 50 - 54

Votes: 59 14.7%
  • 55 - 59

• Greater than 60

• Total voters

Adam Oke

Well Known Member
So how old were you when you started building your RV? Could you afford it? How old were you when you finished? ;)

Give your life story .... but keep it short enough that people will read it. :)

Started building #70362 in 2001 when I was 55 years old. I am finishing up now and should fly before the end of the year. Just applied for Social Security last night on line. Will get my first SS check in January and will be able to use it for gas :)

26 years old... started this year, working on the wings... Not easy to afford but do-able. Not sure what I'm going to do for engine and panel, I do not want to incur any debt, but may end up having to by then. I'm hoping I've gotten a few promotions by then and making some big bucks! :D

Having a blast by the way, never thought I would!

Started building #70362 in 2001 when I was 55 years old. I am finishing up now and should fly before the end of the year. Just applied for Social Security last night on line. Will get my first SS check in January and will be able to use it for gas :)

dumb question... but how do you know what RV # you have, I'd kinda like to know mine.... Is it the # they engraved on the wing spar?

Started 90919 in 2002 when I was 52. I finally felt like I could afford the extra cash to buy as I built without causing any hardships. Four years later and hopefully one more to go, I have all the kits paid for and the engine bought and sitting in the shop. I still will have another $15,000 to spend on avionics, paint and interior if I watch my pennies.

The number is on the paperwork you receive with the kit.

It may be the same as what is on the wing but I am not sure.

I was 49, could not afford it, worked 7.5 years, can barely afford it, and I'd do it all again--if I were 49!

the number is the serial my 80749 is RV-8 #749, they did some other majic when they went past 1000, but the numbers only work within eaxh model.

I goofed. I registered 55-59, but I was 53 and finished it at 55. Mine was 70966, a Quick Build kit. I started the emp in November 2002 and I flew the plane April 7, 2004 after about 1300 hrs to complete with paint and interior.

Roberta

34 when building started, 42 when the slow build (yes - fixturing, marking, drilling) was done. Couldn't have afforded to build it quicker. Took out a little investment money to buy engine and panel towards the end, good thing because the market tanked just after that! So, I "saved" money by building a plane! Yeah, right.

Fall of 2006, I was 45 when I got my tail kit #72908. Kids are gone, thought I could afford a 2yr build. Wife quit work & went back to college, so I'm moving slower.:( Hope to finish before I'm 49.

ps-I don't know how I got to be 47yrs old, my wife has repeatedly said "why don't you grow up".:D

It was about four months before my 60th birthday when I started, flew first when I had just turned 63. 65 now and can afford to put gas in it and pay the hangar rent ($45/month!) and insurance. Building was affordable because I had a partner. I would do it all over again even if I had to give up eating!

Bob Kelly

37. man its been a long 5 years. looks like some time in the next 6 months i'll be finished...but ive been saying that for three years.:rolleyes:

Started on my birthday last year at 54, hope to be in the air before the end of this year. Kid finished school and is "almost" out of the house now, so with the food money I'll save, I can buy gas!

greg

Got the tail kit at age 52. I should be able to finish the tail, wings, & fuse without debt. By then I'll be retired and have more spendable income plus some retirement investment income to buy engine and panel.

33 when I started last year. My wife quit her 40hr/wk job earlier this year so that's induced a major slowdown on the project. Hope to have the money saved up to buy the wings early 2009.

25 when I started. Figured no sense in waiting until I am married and have real obligations! That mindset has treated me well in a number of situations, and I've gotten to do a lot of things my peers have missed out on.

I started building #71413 on the 1st of August 2003 whilst I was 40 years young.

Have so enjoyed building and focusing on completion in 2009. Baffles, spats and paint to go. It's so much more costly to build here in Australia than in the States with shipping plus 10% on everything With paint the total is nudging $180K. Even the exchange rates between USA and here work against us though the dream is strong. We have such a wonderful country to fly around when it is finished that motivation should never be a concern. Am 45 now with only one B'day to go before it's all flying. Looking forward to posting the RV grin!

Cheers and happy building!
Greg (RV-7A Victoria, Australia):)

I was 49. Started building RV 6 in July 1995, first flight Oct 1996.

Taught my self tail wheel by taxing and lifting the tail wheel. Not recommended........... But, I was motivated!!

I paid as I built, I had a Cherokee Six and sold that to buy the engine and finish up.

Now on my 4th RV, a RV8, over 2000 hours flying RVs, and still grinning after every flight.

The "Enterprise" lives...

RV-9A #90622 but the 155th to fly according the Van's web site. The whole story of the build and the flying began with page 1 of the web site on October 25, 2002. I was age 55 then. The airplane flew June 9, 2005 and I was age 58.

There is a lot more than just building and flying the airplane on the web site. I have visited other builders and shown pages about them on my site. If you want to see what it is like to fly to Alaska or land at Oshkosh, I have you covered there, too. The Oshkosh arrival and departure videos with intercom audio and radio traffic are posted.

Have fun!
DSCN0070A.JPG

Last edited:
Just a comment on the "validity" of this poll

It's interesting to see the range of starting ages.

That said, don't draw too many conclusions from the poll numbers shown. I would very much suspect that the average age is significantly older--and the age distribution skewed toward the higher end--than is shown by this poll. Older builders are not nearly as likely to view, use, or contribute to internet forums as are younger builders.

It's interesting to see the range of starting ages.

That said, don't draw too many conclusions from the poll numbers shown. I would very much suspect that the average age is significantly older--and the age distribution skewed toward the higher end--than is shown by this poll. Older builders are not nearly as likely to view, use, or contribute to internet forums as are younger builders.

Please don't tell this to my wife. She thinks that you need to be retired to build an airplane... my response is, the sooner I start, the longer I can enjoy it.
Just showed her the poll #'s tonight and said "see, a lot of builders start younger." (I'm 36 ...sounds older than I feel most days)

Todd
Northwest OH
Working on PPL (Step#1 for me...10 hours logged.)

Please don't tell this to my wife. She thinks that you need to be retired to build an airplane... my response is, the sooner I start, the longer I can enjoy it.
Just showed her the poll #'s tonight and said "see, a lot of builders start younger." (I'm 36 ...sounds older than I feel most days)

Todd
Northwest OH
Working on PPL (Step#1 for me...10 hours logged.)
Oops, sorry Todd! :eek: Actually I was 36 too when I started and (coincidentally) just after I had moved from NW Ohio (Ada/Lima area) to Washington. It worked for me (my wife is still happy I'm building) so you can use me for your argument! Good luck.

I was 57 when we started and just turned 60. I retire in one month and the airplane should be done before the year end.
We planned to have it done by now, but you know how that goes!

I flew my first session of RV-10 transition training with Alex DeDominicis yesterday and it was fantastic.:D We were going to finish up today, but Alex's schedule and the Presidential TFR in Dallas today will make that impossible. So, will finish up tomorrow. What a great airplane! Alex does a great job and his setup at Eagles Nest is really cool.

Started this May, 30 years young then. Just bent the tabs of the trim tab and the left elevator, the parts get bigger...

I started RV-7 #70537 when I was 19. I'm 26 now and planning to send off the airworthiness paperwork in the next week or two. Since I started the project, I've: completed a degree and a half at Cal Poly, worked full time (during school, too), gotten married, earned an Instrument rating and a commercial rating, and started working on my CFI.

Paul

Started 7A kit #71565 in Dec. 2003. 49 years young. My PPL was my 50th birthday present to myself. Passed my check-ride on my birthday within minutes of the time I was born (+50 yrs. of course). Completion date unknown - still pounding away on those rivets when life:) and work:( don't get in the way.

Dave

24, 25 now. Wings almost finished, fuse parts scattered throughout the house!

Huzzah for us younger builders! Gotta keep the older folks on their toes.

Oh! And my wife is the best co-builder a person could ask for! She was also 24, 25 now, and we're having a blast ;)

Last edited:
Interesting question. Probably 8 or 10 if you count the "prototype" models built as a kid. Then some scratch-built RC models starting at 15 or 16. Designing my own homebuilt at 20-22. Then got smart and found the RV series, driving first rivets driven at 31 or so.

ken9

I was 60 in 2005 when I started #91201 RV-9. I retired a couple of years ago so am now a full time builder.

It will be in the air this spring with a little luck and some warm weather up here in the north woods. About 90% done so the last 90% should go faster.
It is a quick build...well...not real quick....not as far as i'm concerned.

I built a Kitfox in the early 90's and after putting about 800 hours on it was going to replace the Rotax 582 with a 912 when I realized I could build an RV for just a little more money.....right......about $60K more and still counting!

Can't wait to get it flying and with any luck, before i'm social security elligible.

Our EAA chapter has 6 other guys with RV's at about the same stage so we should have a squadron flying soon.

Started at 43!

Took 3 years and 10 months to build kit #72608, including rebuilding my IO-360, doing all of the wiring and painting.

An interesting "data point" is to look at your builder number (first digit is type, last four numbers are sequential number of empennage kits sold). Compare that kit number to your wing number to see how many empennages are out there that haven't moved on to the wing yet.

I don't have my wing number in front of me, but I think there is about 500empennages that have not ordered the wing kit.

Kit # 7...2608
Wing# 7...2115 (approx)
==========

Recieved my QB9A in May 2005, 53 years old. In Aug. 2005 I had an accident and spent the next 16 months in/out of the hospital. I am at about the 80% point with panel, canopy done and engine mounted. $60K invested and paid for. Hope to finish within the next 12-18 months. Accident has slowed me down, but also made me realize we do not live forever. So, enjoy your family, friends and "flying".

31 in 1995

Built my -6 starting in 1995. It took 12 years and 2 months. Been having fun since 1995 and a blast since 2007. I couldnt ever afford it and still cant but some how do. Now the passion has become my living. It cant get much better.

I started this summer at the age of 39. Afford it you ask. Absolutely not I am unemployed and was when I started. If you started the dumbest builder contest I could enter it. The good thing is that I have had time to work on it. Emp is done and this weekend the wings will be also.

I just need to get a job so I can get my fuse kit ordered.:mad:

I am defined by the challenges I accept.

Started just after my 71st birthday. Work slowly some days - don't work others!! Love it - tail feathers should be done in February and expect 8A QB wings and fuse soon. :)

Started this year when I am 22, plan on doing 4 years as an officer in the army so hopefully It will be flying before I turn 30. As long as you can afford it (well Sortof) I think this is the best time to start. I usally do most of my work past 10:00 each night. Really the only time available but its the perfect time to build.

Started my 6A, #24808 when I was 37 in 1996. First flight was Dec 12 (last month). Raised 2 daughters and made family my priority, but the "project" was my haven when I had a couple of hours. Did everything myself, airframe, panel, ECi kit engine and paint. Only outsourced job was my mother-in-law covered the seat cushions.

16 hrs into phase I testing. Occasionally get withdrawels when I see my wife's van parked in the garage (after 18 years, since I had started a Dragonfly first):D Of course this is only on the cold/windy/snowy days as otherwise I'd be out flying!

Can't believe how fortunate I am to have been able to do this!

2yjynlz.jpg

Started 91931 in December of 09. Hope to be done in 5-7 yrs. I am at the first rung on the ladder. Many, more to go.

24 for the Avid Aerobat, 27 for the RV9 and 30 for the RV10. I guess the time for a new project is approaching fast!!! What will it be?

Started my 6A, #24808 when I was 37 in 1996. First flight was Dec 12 (last month). Raised 2 daughters and made family my priority, but the "project" was my haven when I had a couple of hours. Did everything myself, airframe, panel, ECi kit engine and paint. Only outsourced job was my mother-in-law covered the seat cushions.

16 hrs into phase I testing. Occasionally get withdrawels when I see my wife's van parked in the garage (after 18 years, since I had started a Dragonfly first):D Of course this is only on the cold/windy/snowy days as otherwise I'd be out flying!

Can't believe how fortunate I am to have been able to do this!

2yjynlz.jpg

I admire your perseverance and your priorities! Way to go and congrats on a beautiful plane.

Trib, that is a gorgeous photograph... the colour is so rich.

What I think would be very interesting to correlate with this data is data on how many people in each age group COMPLETE an RV. I would speculate that people who start building certain age ranges are more likely than others to see it through to completion. It would be interesting to find out if my suspicion is true.

I started when I was 49, took me 2.8years, standard build. I paid cash all the way through until I got to the motor and prop, that went on a loan from the boys down in florida. The weight was 1113 dry. Io360, hartzell prop, RV7A. I love my plane.

I started building kit #82898 18 months ago at the tail end of 48 years old. Hoped to git er done in two years total, but I'm starting to see that slip.

Kids are gone, wife took off, so I found my time to be all mine. Not a wealthy person, I couln't have afforded this normally, but I had a few really good years and was fortunate enough to pay cash for pretty much everything I need to get it airborne. But now, with the economy in the tank my commissions are crashing, so I'm gonna have to scrape for the dough for transition training, gas and paint. :(

I started my -3B Emp in Nov of 2008 when I was 27. A year and some change and I can actually see some progress! My girlfriend is even saying it looks like a part on the airplane! She gives me full support on the project and says she couldn't even think about me giving it up. I may get her involved someday. ;)

I was 68 in November of 2007 when I started my RV-7A empenage kit. After a very intense two year build out I made my first flight on 19 Dec 2010 when I was (still am) 70. For a guy who was a liberal arts major, I'm always amazed when I get these things right!:D

Jack Buschmann
RV-7A, N397V at KFTG

Too old?

Was 64 when I started my RV-3B. Been at it almost 3 years. Two years ago I became worried that as slowly as I was progressing, I might be too old to fly it when it was finished, SO, I bought N283RV, an RV-3B recently completed, and have proceeded to fly the wings off it - over 200 hours so far. This, of course, has slowed my building somewhat, but who cares......

Bill Newkirk
Prather, CA

Back