What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom audio to iPhone movie - how?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Already working is a Y cable that sends audio to the video camera, but I now want to simultaneously send audio to the iPhone 13 while recording video on it.

Headphones are Lightspeed Sierras with Bluetooth, but I suspect that is Bluetooth-in only.

Audio panel is a Garmin GMA245 which will speak to a cell phone via Bluetooth, but that's for phone calls.

Has anybody done this before, or am I on my own?

Thanks!

Ed

The GMA245 WILL output audio over bluetooth to recording devices. The manual spells out what protocol it uses. So far the only device that I have found to work is the Garmin Virb video camera.

From the manual...

NOTE: The third party camera must support receiving audio via the
Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile.
NOTE: The third party camera must initiate the initial pairing process
with the GMA 245.
Press and hold the TEL (PAIR) Key for one second to put the GMA
245 into pairing mode. Reference the third party camera’s manual for
its pairing instructions. Once the pairing process is complete the GMA
245 and the third party camera will connect to each other via the Hands
Free Profile. During this initial connection, Bluetooth Recording Mode
will need to be enabled on the GMA 245 for the third party camera. To
enable Bluetooth Recording Mode momentarily press the TEL (PAIR)
and PILOT keys simultaneously. When this feature is enabled, the
“Bluetooth Recording Mode Enabled” message is played on the
intercom. Enabling Bluetooth Recording Mode only needs to be done
once. When the GMA 245 and the third party camera connect again in
the future Bluetooth Recording Modes will automatically be enabled.

Last edited:
You could simply stuff an iPhone microphone (bluetooth or wired) into your headset ear-piece, i.e. in or around your ear.

What I do is, I plug wired earbuds into my iPhone, the kind that have a thicker and stiffer segment in the middle of one wire that has the microphone and buttons on it, then I put that thicker and stiffer segment on top of one ear, and then I put my headset on over it.

This gives me one more wire to manage in the cockpit, but I kinda forget about it after I put on my seatbelts, and it's a simple and reliable solution.

Last edited:
I use the GMA 245 to listen to music. Connect the iPad via Bluetooth just like you would your phone. The only catch is it will only connect to one device at a time.

I use the GMA 245 to listen to music. Connect the iPad via Bluetooth just like you would your phone. The only catch is it will only connect to one device at a time.

Just an FYI - There seems to be a limitation on the ipad (iphone too) that the bluetooth connection/headset can be used to make calls, but it can't be used to record using any other app.

When I use my Bose headset to make calls via the iphone or the ipad it works really well - excellent sound quality. There's no way to use this same headset to record video. Incoming sound from any app to the headset works fine.

Bernardo's suggestion is the simplest, and also works for cheap action cameras - just stuff the microphone in the headset ear cup.

We generally use the microphone in the earphone cup when doing videos for our web products as well - very low tech, but it does seem to work, and doesn’t take a lot of engineering. We have even done that with network TV productions…..

Back