What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JPI EDM-350 size

rv468

Good Morning,

I plan to update the panel of my RV-4 with an engine monitoring system. Because of the extremely limited space I have to work with, I’ve decided on a JPI EDM-350. I don’t have room for any of the larger units. The EI CCR-30 or the Garmin GI 275 EIS would fit my panel but won’t fit my budget.

The information I received directly from JPI shows it as 3.25” wide x 3.18” tall. The bezel of the unit (that protrudes from the panel) is shown as .52” thick. The length of the unit behind the panel is not an issue where I plan to mount it.

Does anyone have one of these JPI-350 units that would be willing to measure (and confirm) the thickness of that bezel? One small corner of the unit would need to fit between the canopy frame and my instrument panel. If the JPI-350 is too “thick”, it won’t work for me.

I’d also like to hear from those that own or have used these units as to their impression of this engine monitor.

Thanks,
Cameron Smith
RV-4 serial #68

I have the 350 and am so far pleased with it. Currently only using the CHT, EGT, Tach and voltage. Planning to add fuel flow, oil temp and pressure soon. Call JPI to figure out the right wiring harness for you current and future needs. I ordered mine from ACS thinking I could simply add pins to connectors, but the unit does not come with all the connectors needed. Just the features you select at purchase.

I’ll be out to the plane in a couple days and can get the bezel measured for you. I used a tape measure when I installed and 1/2” was roughly it but I’ll take calipers out and get something more accurate.

The unit is simple to use, love the lean find feature works for rich, lean and peak finding based on your selection. Very easy to read for a small display and it’s VERY bright even in direct sunlight.

JPI EDM-350

Thanks for the advise and offer to measure the bezel on your EDM-350. I've noticed the option choices required by ACS seem confusing. I'll contact JPI.

Thanks again
C. Smith

Great unit

I've had one in my 7A for over 3 years now, and have just about every sensor hooked up. It's an extremely capable unit. That said, mine will be for sale in the next 2 or 3 months when the new G3X panel arrives from Stein.

I recall having some issues early on working with JPI support. Not everyone there understood experimental aviation at the time, and their sensor prices are what you'd expect in the certified world. I bought just the basics at first & then cobbled together all of the additional harnesses & sensors, using 3rd-party sensors wherever possible to save money. Sourced some from eBay, Amazon, Summit Racing, etc.

JPI 350

David,
Thanks for the information. I wish my timing would have been better. I'm hoping to install one of these this month.
You're right about the price of sensors.

Thanks again,
Cameron

I've had one in my 7A for over 3 years now, and have just about every sensor hooked up. It's an extremely capable unit. That said, mine will be for sale in the next 2 or 3 months when the new G3X panel arrives from Stein.

I recall having some issues early on working with JPI support. Not everyone there understood experimental aviation at the time, and their sensor prices are what you'd expect in the certified world. I bought just the basics at first & then cobbled together all of the additional harnesses & sensors, using 3rd-party sensors wherever possible to save money. Sourced some from eBay, Amazon, Summit Racing, etc.

Any chance you can share the 3rd party sensors you used? I have not been successful finding a clear answer on what will or will not work. Scrolling through the setup menu gives some hints, but nothing very clear.

Back