What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guidance on completing 8130.6 for change from fixed-pitch to constant-speed?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
Can anyone provide guidance on how to use the new AWC Portal online system to update the FAA registry branch records for changing from fixed-pitch to constant-speed?

The Atlanta FSDO approved my Phase 1 flight test plan late last year. The inspector did not yet have access to the AWC, so we did it all via email. Vic installed the new prop, and I have flown the test program & signed it off in the logbook. (Loving the new Hartzell composite!)

However, I'm stumped on how to complete the paperwork. I started an application in the AWC Portal using the "amended certificate" option, but it's not clear to me how to complete it. The lookup field for the prop model says that the model G2YR/N7605W-2X is not found. It does let me continue with that value entered. I was not sure what to enter in the Certification Basis section. It won't let me proceed without filling in the AD compliance fields, even after I check "not applicable" at the bottom.

Assuming I get past that screen, the next unknown I think will be what documents do I need to attach?

I conversed with Joe Norris via private message (thanks Joe!). He has not run into this question yet with the new system so he is checking with his FAA contacts. He & I agreed I should post the question here to see if anyone else has helpful input, and so we can document what we find for others to benefit from in the future.

New Airworthiness Certificate needed?

Okay, I'm confused.

Wouldn't this just be a (major) change that puts you back into Phase One? Revise aircraft logs, weight and balance and aircraft manual only?

Edit: Thanks David. I learned something new. A link to Mel's article in Kitplanes magazine.

https://www.kitplanes.com/ask-the-dar-92/

Last edited:
First, before we get too far down this road, make sure your aircraft's operating limitations actually require such a records update. This requirement came into being just a few years ago, so older operating limitations will not contain the requirement. Look at the major change provisions in YOUR aircraft's operating limitations, and follow that procedure. Do not "mix and match" operating limitation requirements.

So, IF your aircraft's operating limitations specifically require that the aircraft's records at OKC need to be updated when changing from a fixed-pitch to constant-speed propeller (or vice versa), or from a reciprocating to turbine engine (or vice versa) you need to file an updated 8130-6 form.

This is NOT a new application. Do NOT run it through the AWC system or your local FAA office. This is simply a records update. I have verified with FAA that you simply need to mail the updated -6 form directly to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch at the following address:

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch
P.O. Box 25504
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0504

I suggest you make a copy of the form before sending it, and sending it by such means that you get a delivery confirmation. Keep that for your records so that you have proof that you followed your major change requirement.

Make sure you follow all the other requirements for incorporating a major change as well. Again, read YOUR operating limitations and follow the procedure therein. Do not do anything without verifying the correct procedure for YOUR aircraft.

David, thought we discussed this. No need to go through the AWC. Just mail 8130-6 to FFA OKC for a records update.

Vic

OpLims requirement verified

Joe - thanks for the additional details. I have confirmed that my 2007-vintage Limitations include the requirement to report this to the FAA Registry.

It looks like I can ignore the online portal & do this the old-fashioned way. The recommendation to obtain proof of mailing is a good one. The postal service hasn't been doing that great a job around here lately.

Vic - yes, we did cover that this paperwork needed to be completed. It's just the mechanics of accomplishing this that has stymied me. You know I'm a computer guy, so I really wanted to make it work via the portal. :) I'm sure I'm making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

Looking at the form, I'm okay with everything until I get to Section III.

- Item III.A - is self-explanatory
- Item III.B - do I need to enter anything here?
- Item III.C - there are two boxes for airframe hours.
- Do I need to fill in both?
- Do I use Hobbs or Tach?

It appears that I'm then done with no further entries after Section III.

Thanks!

Updating with info from FAA via Joe Norris

For future reference, here's what needs to be done:

Fill out a new 8130-6 and send it in the mail (yes, snail-mail) to the FAA registration branch with a note saying that this is a records update for a propeller change ONLY.

Sections I, II, and III should be completed. (The information on what to include on the form is my best guess, not confirmed by anyone else.)

Fill out all of section I, with the new prop info in boxes 9 & 10. Everything else in this section should match your current Airworthiness Certificate.

Section II only requires 3 checkmarks - "B" = Special AW Certificate, "4" = Experimental, "2" = Amateur Built.

Section III - subsection A should match existing registration. B does not need to be completed. In C fill in the current airframe hours. D is your certification including your signature.

Make copies of everything and send it by certified mail, registered mail, or another method that provides a record of its mailing and/or delivery. Keep the copies & verification of mailing with your aircraft records.

P.O. Box 25504

I'll update this post if/when I hear anything back from the registration branch.

The Saga Continues

Well, I sent the 8130-6 along with a cover letter explaining why I was sending it (change from fixed-pitch to constant-speed) via certified mail with signature confirmation. That cost about $6.

Today I received it back from Oklahoma City, with a cover letter stating:

"The enclosed FAA Form 8130-6 is being returned for your disposition. It must be submitted to this office by a Flight Standards District Office (FSDO)."

There seems to be some confusion over how to comply with this requirement that is in the operating limitations.

I upgraded the RV-9A to constant speed prop and did it through the Atlanta FSDO. Took a while for the inspector to make it to Savannah, but he was great to talk to. And he checked the plane over pretty carefully -- but I'm always glad to have an extra set of eyes.

Don't recall any of the paperwork details, so can't help you there.

Can anyone provide guidance on how to use the new AWC Portal online system to update the FAA registry branch records for changing from fixed-pitch to constant-speed?

The Atlanta FSDO approved my Phase 1 flight test plan late last year. The inspector did not yet have access to the AWC, so we did it all via email. Vic installed the new prop, and I have flown the test program & signed it off in the logbook. (Loving the new Hartzell composite!)

However, I'm stumped on how to complete the paperwork. I started an application in the AWC Portal using the "amended certificate" option, but it's not clear to me how to complete it. The lookup field for the prop model says that the model G2YR/N7605W-2X is not found. It does let me continue with that value entered. I was not sure what to enter in the Certification Basis section. It won't let me proceed without filling in the AD compliance fields, even after I check "not applicable" at the bottom.

Assuming I get past that screen, the next unknown I think will be what documents do I need to attach?

I conversed with Joe Norris via private message (thanks Joe!). He has not run into this question yet with the new system so he is checking with his FAA contacts. He & I agreed I should post the question here to see if anyone else has helpful input, and so we can document what we find for others to benefit from in the future.

Requires "Amended" C of A per the operating limitations. Easy, send me an email to my private email, and I'll send you what you need!

DAR Gary [email protected]

First, before we get too far down this road, make sure your aircraft's operating limitations actually require such a records update. This requirement came into being just a few years ago, so older operating limitations will not contain the requirement. Look at the major change provisions in YOUR aircraft's operating limitations, and follow that procedure. Do not "mix and match" operating limitation requirements.

So, IF your aircraft's operating limitations specifically require that the aircraft's records at OKC need to be updated when changing from a fixed-pitch to constant-speed propeller (or vice versa), or from a reciprocating to turbine engine (or vice versa) you need to file an updated 8130-6 form.

This is NOT a new application. Do NOT run it through the AWC system or your local FAA office. This is simply a records update. I have verified with FAA that you simply need to mail the updated -6 form directly to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch at the following address:

P.O. Box 25504

I suggest you make a copy of the form before sending it, and sending it by such means that you get a delivery confirmation. Keep that for your records so that you have proof that you followed your major change requirement.

Make sure you follow all the other requirements for incorporating a major change as well. Again, read YOUR operating limitations and follow the procedure therein. Do not do anything without verifying the correct procedure for YOUR aircraft.

I'm going through a FP/CS/engine change and agree, you need to look at YOUR operating limitations. Mine are clear in section 14, "...a change of a fixed-pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the owner must fill out a revised FAA Form 8130-6 to update the aircraft's file in the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch. All operations must be conducted under day visual flight rules (VFR) conditions in a sparsely populated area in compliance with § 91.305. The aircraft must remain in flight test for a minimum of 5 hours. The FSDO may require addition time (more than 5 hours) depending on the extent of the modification."

I called my local FSDO before I started. They were very helpful and confirmed this process.

To the OP, the local FSDO I talked to emailed me a user guide for the portal to complete the "paperwork." Drop me an email/pm if you would like me to forward you the copy.

Brian

Update to the 8130-6 saga

As mentioned in my post from 2/8/21, I received the 8130-6 back from OK City with instructions to submit to the Atlanta FSDO. I mailed the form & the letter from OKC to them, and eventually received a call from an inspector at the FSDO. We've been back & forth several times over the last few weeks. Some of the delays have been on my end.

- Paper won't do, everything has to go through the AWC Portal. However, it's far from clear exactly how to do this.
- The inspector conferred with a developer in OKC that works on the portal.
- After massaging the application into an acceptable state, they found that OKC does not have a copy of my plane's original Operating Limitations from when it was certified as airworthy by a DAR back in 2007. I sent a copy of the ones from the plane. Good thing these never got lost, because they would not have been able to give me a copy from the files.
- They are not able to re-issue with my original limitations. They will have to use the current limitations template. This doesn't appear to be a concern, although there is a bunch of stuff in there that doesn't seem to apply to EAB. A lot of the items look like they are meant for ex-military aircraft, so I won't be able to mount ordinance on pylons, jettison any equipment, etc.

I think I'm close to finally having the paperwork done for this simple conversion to a constant-speed prop.

Back