What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Skyrunner on tour

Yesterday did a 50 h inspection and oil change. Dave, the floatplane pilot helped with his equipment, he is there when needed.
The weather in Alaska is restricting my plans as well as Craig´s and John`s plans. We all wanted to explore some of the southern Alaskan sites but gave up - too long to wait for good weather. Tomorrow I will look into Talkeetna again but on Friday I think I head towards the south, just east of the weather.
Anyhow today we were all unsure what to do, I joined Craig and John, headed south to have a look and just wanted to fly somewhere. We did a 3-ship formation, roamed around and finally landed for a rest in Healy, then returned to Fairbanks. After landing I noticed my tailwheel steering is acting up just as many times before when the grease was pushed out the shaft and things got dry. But this time the steering link broke as I realized after I got out of the plane. I do have a spare - of course back home!

nl0GiYNh.jpg

Takeoff in Fairbanks

95DOXTuh.jpg

Craig and John in Healy - and our planes of course

JjyZhKph.jpg

If only the steering link breaks I´m ok with it.

...hoping we can make it work, but we're going to come up with a plan B in case the weather really shuts it down to the south.
Plan B... let's go flying with Herman! Yep, that was fun. We didn't cover much ground, couldn't head south towards Talkeetna or west towards Unalakleet, so we just puttered around the north edge of Denali Park for a bit. Looks like Thurs wx opens up a wee bit, but ANC and further south is no bueno. Ah well, it's still a great time flying up here and Herman is a good dude to hang out with.

You've got a place in Nashville...

Glad to see you are globe trotting again. I hope you can get repaired and on your way in short order.

Please know you have free, comfortable room and board available in the Nashville, TN area. Our local formation group would love to meet you and maybe go up for a little wing work if you like.

If you can't make it, I hope we can break bread again and catch up at Oshkosh.
I have July 22-25 off right now and hope to catch the first couple days.

Blue Skies and Tailwinds,

Jeff

Tried to find a welder with the help of local pilots and found that the casing of the steering link is made out of aluminum while the rod out of steel, so not weldable. Flying without the steering link should be ok but steering on the ground with differential braking only. Tail wheel shimmy is the worst I would ecpect and this afternoon is still good to fly to the Skwentna Roadhouse and Talkeetna. But one hour into the flight over the pass just abeam the Eldridge Glacier the weather stopped me and I had to return - at least my addiction for flying is satisfied.
Now the weather in the south of Alaska is still not looking good so I decided to move on. Chosed a path over Canada, that way I had to do the custom thing twice - for Canada and the US again. Craig and John came up with the same plan. Whitehorse first then on to Prince George in one day. Late night I filled out eAPIS and called Canpass. Flightplan was filed for 8am. I passed the MOAs east of Fairbanks just before they got hot and in Whitehorse I was advised to clear customs by phone. I was 40 minutes in the waiting queue until a friendly office answered and cleared me. Then refueled the airplane and when rewinding the fuel hose it got trapped between the spool and housing, so essentially I took out the fuel station for some time - sorry for that Craig and John.
Then on to Prince George, another 4 hours, passed some thunderstorms, showers and wildfires, I even could smell the smoke up high. In Prince George I readied the plane for the next flight the next day to Anacortes in the US. Finally arrived in the hotel after a long day. Craig and John diverted to an airport one hour away with no hotel and no transportation and so decided to lengthen their day of flying and relocate to Prince George also. So we could have a drink together in the evening, first time since ten days with a setting sun and dark skies.
Late evening again the eAPIS and flightplan filing. Next morning call to customs in Anacortes and I was cleared. The weather was not as good as expected but with a few turns around clouds and still mostly over the mountains at different altitudes it was ok. The weather cleared up right at the border to the US, didn´t know there is a borderline for the weather also. So Mt. Baker proudly showed up, had a closer look and because I was still early I puttered around the islands in the norteast. Two custom officer were waiting and cleared me wishing me all the best for my tour. Craig and John also chosed Anacortes for customs and I thought they diverted again. I heared they had some issues with their flightplan and unfortunately I was not on the apron when they landed somehow late - I was just 200 ft away in the hangar.
I forgot to close my flightplan, realized this with a shock a good hour later, called FSS and apologized. But they got message from customs so all was good.

6EN6o7oh.jpg

Northway in Southeast Alaska

gdesN8Yh.jpg

Wildfires between Whitehorse and Prince George

rnOvtYFh.jpg

Breakfast in Prince George

EyWgk3bh.jpg

Prince George prior departure

4Mv5dpYh.jpg

Mt. Baker

Last edited:
It ain't easy to keep up with Hermann! He can put down the miles... we tried to keep up, but, losing my phone in the taxi this morning cost us an easy 3-4 hour delay. Oops! Then there's the issues with flight plans, customs eapis and whatnot... but at least I got my phone back!

And I gotta wonder, is it RV season to/from Alaska? On the way north we saw a gaggle of Canadian RVs at Watson Lake and Whitehorse; then yesterday we saw the southbound RV-10 gang stopping for customs/fuel at Whitehorse. As we were leaving Prince George today an RV-8 and -10 arrived along with the RV-10 gaggle shortly behind.... RVs everywhere! I gotta say the Canadian tower and FSS guys are just awesome, very friendly and helpful.

Steering link

Epic trip. I have a new rocket steering link over here in eastern WA at 68S, if you wanted to get that fixed sooner than you might be able to otherwise. 920-371-5137 Neil

Herman,

Would you be interested in being interviewed along with your plane at Air Venture during ones of the "Homebuilt In Review" sessions?

If so.....email me at "[email protected]"

Epic trip. I have a new rocket steering link over here in eastern WA at 68S, if you wanted to get that fixed sooner than you might be able to otherwise. 920-371-5137 Neil

Thanks a lot for the offer. I have one on order and hope to receive it within the next two days. But if there are issues with the order I´ll come back on this.

Hermann, I see your RV-8 parked on the ramp, here at TIW. Let me know how I can assist you. We have resources.

Greg Novotny:D
RV-14a N14ZP
808-937-0380

Hermann, I see your RV-8 parked on the ramp, here at TIW. Let me know how I can assist you. We have resources.

Greg Novotny:D
RV-14a N14ZP
808-937-0380

Thanks Greg. Other than the steering link all is good. But it is good to know there is help out there if needed.

In Anacortes I refueled the airplane with nicely priced Avgas of 5.60 per Gallon. Wanted to explore the islands there again and Ken accompanied me in formation up to Friday Harbor where we separated. A Bonanza landed behind me and the pilot and me started a conversation which lasted for the whole visit there. Then Arlington for another 2-ship-formation, I´m a bit rusty and that´s ok, this makes me strive for more. The next day island hopping again - this area is beautiful. Orcas Island, Roche Island and again Friday Harbor, my favourite. Frome there I flew west along Seattle to Tacoma where Kai and Miko received me and offered all the help needed. Kai let me drive his truck so I went around by car this time and also visited the Museum of Flight in Seattle where I have been several times already. I can´t get enough at looking planes and always discover new things. On this stay I also learned something about heart surgery - not really aviation related but the aviation talk was always going on otherwise.

fOz99bQh.jpg

Ken in his RV-4

K4efSzjh.jpg

Passing Seattle

Zv8VZTeh.jpg

Museum of Flight

WRrpQ4eh.jpg

Miko, Kai and me

Hey Hermann,
So amazed of yet another tour! We will be at M94 central Washington for the 4th of July extended weekend, then U88 Garden Valley Idaho for the next weekend. Either place I will BBQ the steak promised a few years ago, well not the same steak, a fresh one.
Prost!

It ain't easy to keep up with Hermann! He can put down the miles... we tried to keep up, but, losing my phone in the taxi this morning cost us an easy 3-4 hour delay. Oops! Then there's the issues with flight plans, customs eapis and whatnot... but at least I got my phone back!

And I gotta wonder, is it RV season to/from Alaska? On the way north we saw a gaggle of Canadian RVs at Watson Lake and Whitehorse; then yesterday we saw the southbound RV-10 gang stopping for customs/fuel at Whitehorse. As we were leaving Prince George today an RV-8 and -10 arrived along with the RV-10 gaggle shortly behind.... RVs everywhere! I gotta say the Canadian tower and FSS guys are just awesome, very friendly and helpful.

I think that I know the RV8 and RV10 crew. Friends from the Carolinas!
(Including my airport base.)

Good to hear of a "visual". Can only track from afar.

To Oregon

Wednesday morning I left "my home" for the Tacoma airport. Intention was to fly to Jefferson for breakfast in the airport cafe. Again I was unlucky with my food supply, this time because of fog. Had to wait several hours for the weather to clear, so no breakfast anymore. Instead flew to Skagit then Friday Harbor again, then Anacortes for refueling and to pick up my now delivered new tail wheel steering link. It is no problem to fly with a free castering tailwheel, differential breaking will do it and I didn´t experience wheel shimmy. But it is easy again with the steering link attached.
Then in the evening I headed towards McMinnville to see the Evergreen Museum again. On the way I wanted to see the stone formations at Cannon Beach, but when passing the Olympic Mountains all I saw was an overcast or fogged in coast - disappointing! But then in the distant I could see some hazy looking clouds at the coast and coming closer there they were. There was a big hole in the clouds only for me and in the exact location - now the disappointment with the breakfast was gone. I circled the rocks several times and then headed towards McMinneville. A local pilot gave me a ride into the city and suggested the Oregon hotel. Very nice place to stay, an old building with lots of old inventory - and the city is nice too.
The next day on my easterly heading there was Aurora, I couldn´t simply pass and visited the Vans factory and bought some airplane stuff. Two hours later I was airborne again for a two hours flight, passed Mt. Hood and finally reached one of my all favourite airfields where I am writing this now. I spare this for the next time - only a pic for now.

7uSG73Ch.jpg

Cannon Beach

9oJ5SFCh.jpg

Cannon Beach

rt8IJTGh.jpg

Evergreen Museum - Spruce Goose - impressive as ever

V760jnah.jpg

Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams in the background

3qkWWwQh.jpg

Coming home - you know where it is..??

Last edited:
and please say hi to caretaker Deborah and Jim.
Also be sure to enjoy that hot spring water tub :D

Last edited:
Finally getting caught up on this thread and two things leap to mind: Loops over ice floes and landing/taxiing with no tailwheel control. Very impressive and inspirational. Can't wait to hopefully meet up at OSH... and let me know if a Michigan stop is planned on this tour. I'll make sure you get food!

His tracker page shows he was at Big Creek this morning; they do a big breakfast at the lodge, so hopefully he got fed! :D

The next day on my easterly heading there was Aurora, I couldn´t simply pass and visited the Vans factory and bought some airplane stuff.

I came by to say hello but as I was walking out of the prototype shop, you took taxied by. good luck on the trip.

Johnson Creek

Now I am here in Johnson Creek already for three days - it was like coming home. This airstrip is surely one of my favourite, really love it - the place itself, the people here and the surroundings. No need to find things out, just be here, put the tent beside the airplane and be part of the group. Yesterday morning I flew to Big Creek for breakfast in the lodge there. And yes John, this time I had luck with the "airport restaurant". Breakfast there is something special so I had to do it again today. I also looked at some neighbor fields like Smiley Creek and Cascade there for refueling and filling up my supplies at the grocery store. Today it was McCall after Big Creek. When returning to Johnson Creek I went around on downwind because it was so bumpy and windy. There is not much margin if cought by a downdraft so better safe than sorry. Flew back to McCall, waited for two hours and gave it another try - success.

yoz4oBVh.jpg

Johnson Creek

ld0eC64h.jpg

Big Creek

8C9jl9Ah.jpg

Big Creek

5cUh6FJh.jpg

Inside the Lodge at Big Creek

How’s the runway at Big Creek for a
RV with wheel pants?

There was some heavy rain about a week ago, but the runway is hard. I found just west of the centerline is best for us, on centerline there a patches with rocks where I removed some of the largest. It is ok for RV's but there is a remaining risk damaging the wheel pants or throw a stone onto the flaps or horizontal stab. For me it was worth to go there a second time, the Lodge is just great.

How’s the runway at Big Creek for a
RV with wheel pants?

Apologies for the thread creep...
As always, details matter. If you have "speed" pants - with an 1/8" of tire showing (or similar) or a showplane, none of the backcountry strips are a good idea. On the other hand, if you have pants setup for the backcountry (lots of tire showing) - and oversize tires are even better, Big Creek is just fine. I've been in and out of there (and Flying B, Thomas Creek, Upper Loon, Chamberlain, Cold Meadows, Moose Creek, Landmark, Sulphur Creek, Stanley, Smiley, etc.) many times without issue.

Love your trip reports Hermann!! Keep 'em coming please!

Last edited:
Hermann, looks like you're getting close to Big Bear. If that's still on your agenda, and you have an idea of what day you'll be there, please advise and lunch at Barnstormer's is on me and the wife. Do need to lock down a plane..

Thanks, Walt

Hermann, looks like you're getting close to Big Bear. If that's still on your agenda, and you have an idea of what day you'll be there, please advise and lunch at Barnstormer's is on me and the wife. Do need to lock down a plane..

Thanks, Walt

There is a good chance to be there on July 5th. Intend to fly to Torrance tomorrow, but there seems to be low stratus in the mornings however.
I´ll keep you updated.

Hermann, I'm afraid you got ahead of me on your progress. I've got some conflicts I can't easily wiggle out of on the 5th, and likely 6th. Looks like I'll be unable to meet up with you.

Regrets, please enjoy the rest of your trip!

Walt

I just saw you fly over my house. If you need anything in the LA area just let me know. Might even have a parking spot for you at KHHR.

I was in contact with John at the Concord airfield near San Francisco. We wanted to repeat the photo flight from 2019 when the Golden Gate Bridge was fogged in. I pushed a little thinking better have a few days left later than using valuable time now at one place although Johnson Creek is worth it without a doubt. So got up early on Monday morning and packed things up. It is cold there at 5000 ft in the mornings and as soon as the sun was hitting the campside the temperature was pleasant as usual and the wet tent dried quickly. This is also the time to clean the airplane from bugs, everything is wet and easy to just wipe away. The days at Johnson Creek were really warm and I said I´m happy in the evening when the sun sets and it is becoming cooler, but I was also happy when the sun was rising again in the morning and warming me up from the cold night. Anyway I said goodbye to my comrades there and when I were running down rwy 35 they were waving goodbye again standing right there were my tent was before. It felt like leaving home and thought why not stay another day or two! I turned towards the mountain to the right for the initial climbout, reversed course and had a last look down at Johnson Creek. The flight to Cascade lasted just 19 minutes were I refueled for the next flight to Buchanan Concord. As usual I can´t make it on time and again was 5 minutes early there - nobody around. After 30 minutes John showed up and I learned I am in a different time zone and in fact an hour early. We waited for his friend Ed and did a formation and photo flight over the Bay area. Although it was later in the day already the Golden Gate Bridge was still unter an overcast and at least was visible. So not good for photos and I think I have to come back for a third try! Ed introduced me to a formation event on Independence Day in Livermore - briefing 10.30 am. So I was there and got a seat in one of the participating planes for a flyover of the Hornet in the bay area. Then I refueld and took off for the flight to Torrance were I am now and will stay a couple days and visit some airports there. I avoided a TFR just north of Santa Monica and flew the route over LAX in the Special Flight Rules Area. LAX was partly covered with low stratus and so only partly visible. Torrance was clear and I landed there after 1.9 hours.

UeJHGAZh.jpg

San Francisco was clear just east of the Golden Gate

AuwhPInh.jpg

qSTE0y4h.jpg

Approaching the Hornet

2jK0vBnh.jpg

Joined up with the leading group

Last edited:
A few day trips today. When I arrived at the Torrance airport after the overcast burned away and asked to open the door to the apron the man in the office remembered me from 2019, even some details from back then. Chatted for a while then flew via the LAX Special Flight Rules Area to Santa Paula for a late breakfast and chilled there for a while. Then on to Catalina Island for a coke just before the airport restaurant closed. Nice weather today compared to yesterdays overcast over the ocean. So second ocean crossing (Pacific) accomplished for now! Back via the Queen Mary to my present homebase Torrance. No plans for tomorrow, I might look into my next flights and destinations to get mentally ahead of my flying.

H46l00sh.jpg

Greeted by the Torrance airport crew

4KzF5Sih.jpg

Over LAX - unthinkable in Europe flying over an international airport without clearance.

4IqNRoph.jpg

Passing "my homebase" Torrance from above towards Catalina Island

FhoopA2h.jpg

Passing the Queen Mary and the Dome in which once the Spruce Goose was sitting

Santa Paula and Catalina, two of my favorite CA airports! While you're near, perhaps drop in to Chino (KCNO), there's a newly restored Lockheed C-121 Constellation being flight tested there, being readied for a trip to OSH.

So you're bagging all these cool airports... what's next? Leadville CO, KLXV appears to be open, no NOTAMs listed. You gotta get the T shirt and landing certificate...

Next day flew to Corona airport to visit Aircraft Spruce, there is always something I need. Usually what I really need I remember when I left the store!
I met Steve there, he has a wonderful RV-8 with very meticulously done detail work. He made molds for parts, and the parts just look perfect, I saw a lot of work there!!
The following day breakfast was planned at Big Bear - success, the airport restaurant was open. Then to Furnace Creek / Death Valley to break my record landing below the sea level even when the DA was 3500 ft. I saw 43 deg C OAT on the Skyview and when climbing out towards Page max oil temp was 228 F peaking at around 8000 ft. This was expected as during flight testing when doing cooling tests there was usually a peak around that altitude on oil temp and CHT. Still had some reserve and the tests let me expect this. On this flight I passed Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon, but the flight was very bumpy. The next days I promised myself will be with early departures.
So today I got up at 5am, walked to the airport and headed towards the Horseshoe Bend then Monument Valley. Man is this area beautiful in the morning, very strong colors and the flight was smooth. Landed at the Gouldings airport for breakfast, the next flight´s destination was Marble Canyon. It was bumpier on this flight but not too bad. Circled down in the Special Flight Rules Area and landed on rwy 03. After a while a RV-4 approached and not until the pilot climbed out of the cockpit I realised that I met him before at Johnson Creek. A rocket engineer living in Houston doing a trip in his RV-4. Together we had a drink, actually several, and walked over to the nearby bridge spanning over the Colorado river almost 500 ft above. The short flight back to my present home base Page via the Horseshoe bend again was easy and lasted just 20 minutes.
Tomorrow will get up early again, the Grand Canyon is on the way to Sedona so will have a very impressive flight again. I know the area around Sedona is just as beautiful and I hope I get breakfast again in the restaurant there.

94Ycq5Jh.jpg

Steve with his beautiful RV-8 at Corona airport

IjQPeTuh.jpg

On the ground in Furnace Creek

6XS5v04h.jpg

Hoover Dam near Boulder

6qnvlcSh.jpg

Over the Grand Canyon

N6L8iJZh.jpg

Horseshoe Bend

PbSgqj0h.jpg

Monument Valley

Last edited:
Amazing trip photos! The desert is such a beautiful place to fly, but you sure pay for it if you're up after 11am or so. How did you find the runway at Furnace Creek? Is it still super bumpy with cracked & heaved asphalt everywhere?

Amazing trip photos! The desert is such a beautiful place to fly, but you sure pay for it if you're up after 11am or so. How did you find the runway at Furnace Creek? Is it still super bumpy with cracked & heaved asphalt everywhere?

100 percent correct. After 11am it is so bumpy that the fun factor is way down. Yes and the runway in Furnace Creek is as you described - bumby and cracked. some stones or loose asphalt is laying on the runway with potential damaging wheel pants or even tires.

Herman,
Can you please share your plan for “loss of power” over the open ocean? What survival gear you use? How you intend to use it? Am sure many would want to hear your plan. Thank you and have a great flight!!!!!

Ok here it goes:
I developed a checklist for ditching in the ocean. If engine fails first thing is do a restart, switch tank, boost pump on, ignition and so on. If no restart make emergency call immediately and activate ELT, PLB and Emerg button on satellite tracker. PLB and satellite tracker in pockets of drysuit so they are with me when leaving the plane. Declare emergency on ATC frequency, when not in contact (there are stretches without radio contact) try 121.5, usually airliners are listening to it, or 123.45. Then shutdown according checklist and prepare for ditching. RV´s are surely not the best when it comes to ditching and I would expect a flipover, if not egress would be easier. Land parallel to swells or into the wind, I would most probably only use flaps 20, don´t need the extra drag and elevator authority is better. I expect a hard touch into the water and fear to bang my head onto the rollover bar which could knock me out which in turn could ruin my day! That is why I wear a helmet, would be good over rugged terrain also, but at least drowning is not a risk there. I imagine that when under the water upside down no matter what you want to get your head above the surface. My thinking was have a snorkel to cover the time fiddeling with seat belts and other obstructions doing this. Then when safely out of the plane don´t loose it and the equipment, I´m not in a swimming pool and there might be wind and waves. So I´m connected to the plane with ropes, also the emergency equipment, everthing stayes together. My plane would not sink so will have all the time I need which makes me kind of relaxed. I have foam in the wings to displace water so it is buoyant. Then retrieve equipment, life raft and others. Time is critical in cold water, so best is have gloves on according checklist. When all was successful make yourself noticable again with satellite tracker, PLB, Satphone or handheld. Having more options is sure better than relying on only one devise. Of course a drysuit or immersion suite is a must for protection against the cold. It is of utmost importance that it is closed (checklist item). I would expect rescue within a few hours in coastal waters but much longer in the middle of the ocean where helicopters are out of range. I learned that even civil ships will be diverted but this takes time. They have an emergency network and are connected to aviation when things go bad.
I could go on but hope this is a quick reply to the question.

Flying over the Atlantic in a SE plane is not for everyone. On the other hand we take risks even on our breakfast flights. A lot of planning, investment for equipment which I hopefully never need for the worst case! The flight itself is the fun part, the preparation is 99 percent of it.

So in one sentence: Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Cold Water

Herman,
I applaud your sense of adventure and willingness to share with others. I flew the F16 for 25 years, many of the flights over cold water including 37 “pond crossings of the Pacific and Atlantic. When I lived in Japan all of our Air Combat training took place over 36-60 degree F water over the year averaging 50F. We figured if we bailed out, survived the ejection, didn’t drown upon landing and got into our life raft we could survive for two hours before hypothermia took over. We tested this with a “volunteer” for a training exercise and it was accurate. My two friends who did bail out into cold water were both rescued only due to diligent wingmen sticking around to mark their position and radio relay their plight. In the middle of the ocean, solo you’re on your own.
I too plan my own pond crossing on Lindbergh’s 100th, Good Lord willing, the right airplane setup and funds available.

Godspeed on your voyage!
V/R
Smokey

Herman,
I applaud your sense of adventure and willingness to share with others. I flew the F16 for 25 years, many of the flights over cold water including 37 “pond crossings of the Pacific and Atlantic. When I lived in Japan all of our Air Combat training took place over 36-60 degree F water over the year averaging 50F. We figured if we bailed out, survived the ejection, didn’t drown upon landing and got into our life raft we could survive for two hours before hypothermia took over. We tested this with a “volunteer” for a training exercise and it was accurate. My two friends who did bail out into cold water were both rescued only due to diligent wingmen sticking around to mark their position and radio relay their plight. In the middle of the ocean, solo you’re on your own.
I too plan my own pond crossing on Lindbergh’s 100th, Good Lord willing, the right airplane setup and funds available.

Godspeed on your voyage!
V/R
Smokey

Smokey, the 2 hours survival was that in the water? I was thinking in the life raft out of the water it should be much longer!?

Page is not a cool city, it was hot there all day - over 100F but at least dry and not humid like in the southeast of the US or in Asia. Getting up early and takeoff in the still smooth air in the morning is a blast if you are not accustomed to this landscape. Every airport around has an elevation figure of around 5000 ft so density altitude on takeoff was always around or over 7000 ft. The good initial climb I´m used to didn´t happen but the RVs are not too bad even this high.
The day before I left Page I was walking the streets and saw a Ford T model. I chatted with the owner and it turned out he had a whole bunch of Model Ts happy to show me. He offered me a ride and I replied how about tomorrow morning to the airport, that way I don´t have to carry my bag in the heat walking there. Sure enough he showed up at 8 am at my Hotel with his Model T and drove me to the airport - that made my day. He was also a pilot for 35 years and was interested in my tour and happy to see my airplane which I showed him happily. Then I departed Page to the northeast over Lake Powell and enjoyed the last time the deep blue water and red-brown rocks - destination Leadville Lake County, the highest airport in the US at 9934 ft. The colors on the ground changed from red-brown to sand-brown then green. Vegetation appeared and finally trees even at high altitudes. I was careful with the wind in the mountains and was not sure I will make it into Leadville. But it was ok, passed over the Hagerman Pass (11925 ft) at 13500 which gave me a true altitude of about 14500 ft and saw Leadville airport in quite a broad valley. I evaluated the area around and joined the left pattern for rwy 35. Another airplane reported on 13 miles final and we agreed I would be No1. I was focused on landing making the next taxiway to clear the rwy and noticed a dead end and so taxied down the rwy to the next exit. Just leaving the rwy I heared the aiplane behind on the radio going around for a visual pattern. It was a C-130 and I messed up his approach, it would have worked out but at this density altitude of 12500 ft they stayed on the safe side and did a timely G/A. Got my "Leadville certificate" at the FBO and departed for Meadow Lake FLY for refueling there. I thought it is safer to takeoff with less weight and do another landing. Then on to my final destination Lincoln County Y14 near Sioux Falls were Craig is based. I met Craig at Fairbanks/Alaska and flew around there together with him and John and also down to Whitehorse and Prince George in Canada. He offered me a place to stay and maintenance if required and I came back to his offer. It was on the way to Oshkosh anyway but a little early. But there are places to see in the vicinity before Oshkosh. When I approached Y14 I was already greeted on the radio - what a joy! Then he guided me to his hangar where we immediately drained the still hot oil. He even had organized the fresh oil to be there upon my arrival. The next day I did the rest of my 100 hour inspection, did a runup - no leaks - then a short test flight and noted and documented the parameters as I usually do on 100 hour inspections. Craig was super helpful, took his time, drove me around, introduced me to his friends on the field and we had the usual airplane talks. Also got a tour of the Air National Guard South Dakota at Sioux Falls - very cool. Not until this morning I left Y14 and when I departed Craig and Greg followed me in his RV-6A for a while saying goodbye this way.

gHVKRdgh.jpg

My airport taxi - very cool

uRJx3IKh.jpg

Hagerman Pass near Leadville at 11925 ft

WnchIDqh.jpg

At Leadville airport

e5NkANgh.jpg

Craig and me in his hangar

dzboJLdh.jpg

Air Base from above at Sioux Falls FSD

B8JL2Tfh.jpg

Escorting me out of Lincoln County Y14

Last edited:
When we departed Y14 it was hazy, flyable but with reduced visibility. Obviously smoke was drifting in from the wildfires in Canada with the northwesterly winds. I climbed to 9500ft and it was better there - it really cleared up just before Minneapolis and from there I had the usual good flight conditions. The landscape always seems nicer to me when water is visible and so it was when approaching Mackinac Island - my destination for the day. I stayed a little north of the direct and shortest route in order to remain in gliding distance to the shore. At the end of Lake Michigan is the Mackinac Bridge which divides Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, although technically they should be one lake, there is no natural border. So Mackinac Island is located in Lake Huron and the place is just beautiful. Good airport there, no cars. So bicycles or horse carriages are the mode of transportation. I choosed to walk and inhale the nature, sure not detrimental to health. It is touristy there but hey what am I.
At the end of the day I hopped over to Mackinac County airport and stayed there for the night planning for another destination the next day. I was lazy when I got up and decided to go to the island for another day and from there to Kalamazoo. I was hoping there were less people on Mondays when the airport was not that busy but that was an illusion - the day there was nice and relaxing anyway. Tomorrow I will visit the Kalamazoo Aviation Museum to still my hunger for airplanes, it is in walking distance from the hotel I´m staying.

zIs9jC2h.jpg

Mackninac Bridge - Mackinac Island in the background to the right

FeJesFfh.jpg

On downwind rwy 26

T1CinFIh.jpg

Very nice FBO building - landing fee for SE airplanes $12.50

U3VtPvqh.jpg

Arch Rock on Mackinac Island

KFHULF2h.jpg

Main Street with the most tourists

Back