What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My first panel...

markserbu

My buddy and I are upgrading our panels at the same time, but he's a little ahead of me so his panel (RV-7A) got cut first. Everything came out very well and we're both happy with the result. I used a CNC machine (Haas VF-4) to do all the holes and cutouts, and if I had it to do over I'd have used the VF-5 because it has a bit more "real estate" available on the table. Won't be a factor for my little RV-8A panel, though. And speaking of that, I have the bare panel from Van's and have almost completed my CAD model. I think everything is where I want it and minus a handful of circuit breakers and a few switches, I think it's done. If anyone has thoughts or opinions on component placement (or any other issues) I'd appreciate your feedback.

NicksPanelSm.jpg

CADPanel_1.jpg

Last edited:
I would move the standby mini efis as high and far to the left as possible to make it easily visible for someone flying from the back seat.

If you are using the Dynon autopilot, I would suggest adding the autopilot control panel (SV-AP-PANEL). Adding the AP control panel gives the autopilot the auto-trim function plus other features.

From Dynon:

"The Autopilot control panel is also a full featured dual-axis trim controller. It can control your electric pitch and/or roll trim motors, replacing the relay decks normally used.

With Autopilot Auto-Trim, the SV-AP-PANEL can keep the the aircraft in trim while under autopilot control. This eliminates the need for the pilot to manually actuate their trim to follow the Autopilot’s built-in trim advice. "

Last edited:
I agree with the autopilot panel and in addition would add the radio panel. They are relatively low cost.

I agree with adding the autopilot as well as the radio panel.

Attachments

• AA3A28F8-6332-45DD-8243-C72C958D3E07.jpeg
    AA3A28F8-6332-45DD-8243-C72C958D3E07.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 146
I think sailvi767 is right.

I don't have an "8" but what I've found on my "6" is the information I refer to constantly in flight is best displayed up on the top screen (I have two GRT screens, one above the other). Referring to any data on the lower screeen takes my eyes away from the benefit of periphial vision... so I believe having that G5 up top would certainly be a better placement. When you want to use it for real, I think you'd be happier with it being up high, not down low.

I'm using a Trutrak/Xcruze autopilot so can't use the Dynon autopilot panel. I was going to use the Dynon intercom panel, but so far I can't figure out how it works! One of the things I do a lot is to increase the squelch on the passenger (as the canopy is open during taxiing and wind is blowing on their mic), and I don't know if this device has that ability. Going with the Garmin GMA 245 for now. I like the idea of the G5 being up high for flying from the back seat. Thanks for the suggestions!

Here are my latest layout ideas:

CADPanel_2.jpg

CADPanel_3.jpg

Hi Mark,

There is not a lot of real estate to play with on an RV-8 panel.

I went through this exercises last year and spent months evaluating mockups in the cockpit to improve human factor issues and improve operations.

Below are some factors that i used to determine "what goes where" as well as a few comments:

1. VFR or IFR operations
2. Left hand on throttle, right hand on stick. Are you ambidextrous?
3. Where are your hands and eyes when executing common Ops such as TOLs, go-arounds, frequency changes when working with center, .....
4. As noted, high value real estate is at the top of the panel and is easy to see. Avoid placing low value items in high value areas and vice versa.
5. Try to avoid configurations where you often have to tilt your head or look down to perform a function.
6. Skyview audible warnings come through the intercom.
7. Both the Skyview audio panel and intercom have a knob for setting the squelch.

Good luck with you panel!

Last edited:
Mike has made some good comments.

Assuming you are left-handed based on the layout.

Some suggestions:

Dynon comm head can go higher up in place of the 3 knob panel so it is more in the field of view.

The G5 and the relocated comm head can swap places so that the G5 is closer to the centre.

The HDX screen could also shift right a bit to provide more space on the left. You can configure it so the area you use most (flight instruments) is on the left half and therefore more aligned with the centre of the panel and field of view. It would be useful if you could visualize it with the screen turned on.

Last edited:
Before you go thru all the work to machine, you may consider having a place such as Oshcut.com laser cut. I have found its just as cheap to have them cut/bend/ship as a panel blank is from Vans.

I would try to get the GPS 175 as high as possible in your field of view. I use it a lot, even VFR and it has good terrain and airspace warnings to catch your attention

Thanks again for all the responses, guys. First off I'm right-handed, though a bit ambidextrous. A bit of my philosophy: I assume the HDX is never going to fail, so I'll never end up using the G5 as primary. Aside from moving it up so someone flying from the back can see it, I don't care how close to center it is. Second, when I'm flying an approach (especially in IMC) my head is mostly in the cockpit anyway, so I'm already looking down a bit. Looking down a bit more is no big deal.

Aside from the CNCs I have a 2KW fiber laser and a friend has a water jet. I'd actually prefer the latter for this sort of thing, but opted for a CNC because there are a lot of small, precise holes. The CNC does that better than the other machines. Worse comes to worse with all this, if I don't like it I can buy another panel for $35 and machine it for a different layout.

Well, I think this is the final iteration of the panel. I will be having my buddy water jet the whole panel out instead of milling it on a CNC machine. He cut out my Garmin GPS-175 brackets with the water jet and I was very impressed with it's speed and precision. And not having to clamp anything down! And I'll tell you what...having all these CAD solid models provided by the vendors is fantastic! It's not just great for seeing the panel layout but for checking component interference BEHIND the panel.

CADPanelPicSM.jpg

CADPanelPicRR.JPG

The Dynon ADAHRS needs to be somewhat isolated from any magnetic interference. Putting it next to all of that electrical equipment and EFIS fans isn't the best location. Or are you using the Dynon remote magnetometer?

The latest iteration looks very good both functionally and aesthetically.

How are the transponder and comm radio being mounted? Mine are on the sub-panel (RV-6A).

Something else to consider while doing the 3D layout is: where are the wiring bundles are going to run; adequate clearance for the various plugs; separating audio from HF wires; and enough space for coax cable minimum bend radii.

The Dynon ADAHRS needs to be somewhat isolated from any magnetic interference. Putting it next to all of that electrical equipment and EFIS fans isn't the best location. Or are you using the Dynon remote magnetometer?

Yeah, and yet that's the exact spot where Dynon wants the ADAHRS installed. Maybe they just want us to buy the remote magnetometer? I figure I'll give it a shot in that location but will probably end up making a custom mount that places it farther forward (in the airplane) and up from there.

The latest iteration looks very good both functionally and aesthetically.

How are the transponder and comm radio being mounted? Mine are on the sub-panel (RV-6A).

Something else to consider while doing the 3D layout is: where are the wiring bundles are going to run; adequate clearance for the various plugs; separating audio from HF wires; and enough space for coax cable minimum bend radii.

Thanks. I'll probably make brackets to mount the radio and transponder. What sub-panel are you talking about...the kind of "center console" area?

Yes, I was thinking of actually modeling the cables but decided not to get that crazy. The entire panel will be built out of the plane, so figuring out the cable runs should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks. I'll probably make brackets to mount the radio and transponder. What sub-panel are you talking about...the kind of "center console" area?

Yes, I was thinking of actually modeling the cables but decided not to get that crazy. The entire panel will be built out of the plane, so figuring out the cable runs should be pretty straightforward.

The sub-panel on the RV-6 is the intermediate bulkhead fwd of the instrument panel, aft of the firewall. I'm not familiar with that detail on RV-8 and whether it has a sub-panel? An advantage of the remote radio and transponder is that they can be located anywhere for convenience so as to minimize length of antenna cable.

The cable runs took me a surprising amount of time to work out, this is on my first panel. Also surprising was the amount of space required for the connectors e.g. Dynon EMS thermocouple harness needs around 4 inches behind the module. Radio harness also needs around 3 inches to accommodate the connector and cable bends.

I mounted the ADAHRS back in the tailcone, this decision was made before Dynon came out with the latest trays.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Well the 8 has a luggage compartment directly ahead of the area where the avionics live, so I'll probably put a tray in just aft of that bulkhead. The radio and transponder should be able to go there, probably out to the extreme left and right. With the ADAHRS in the center and up high, maybe it'll be free from magnetic interference.

PanelAndBulkheads.jpg

Gotcha. Well the 8 has a luggage compartment directly ahead of the area where the avionics live, so I'll probably put a tray in just aft of that bulkhead. The radio and transponder should be able to go there, probably out to the extreme left and right. With the ADAHRS in the center and up high, maybe it'll be free from magnetic interference.

Re: ADAHRS. You may have to be careful then about metal stuff you load in the FWD baggage compartment affecting the built-in magnetometer.

My Dynon ADAHRS is on a shelf behind the aft baggage compartment, spanning the upper longerons roughly midway between the F-808 and F-809 bulkheads. Still relatively accessible if you have to replace a failed ADAHRS unit (after 1350 Hobbs Hours), like I had to a couple of months ago.

i-R5S52j6-XL.jpg

BTW, any chance of scaling your pics smaller a bit? They are quite large and difficult to view.

Last edited:
Old/new

Went thru the same upgrade. Can't figure out how to attach pics but if you PM me your email I will send them to you.

Just got back from Oshkosh and I wasted no time in finalizing the panel CAD model and taking it to my buddy's shop to get cut on his water jet. The results are great, and it took just under 8 minutes to cutout the entire panel!

WaterJettingPanel.JPG

CutoutPanelSM.jpg

CutoutPanel2SM.jpg

CutoutPanel3SM.jpg

Last edited:
Back