What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav Canada

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Tried to call Nav Canada today to file a flight plan ( first time this season). The old number has been disconnected and when calling the new number, there was a message that the call would cost $4 something.
Anybody know why our Government wants GA out of the sky in Canada?

Wrong number?

Weird. Wrong number, perhaps?

I have not heard anything about Nav Canada starting to charge new fees for briefings or for flight planning. According to their flight planning page calling 1-8666-WX-BREIF (1-866-992-7433) should still route you toll free to the nearest FIC.

If you are out of the country then use one of the numbers on the map, below (sorry about the huge image size). You may have to pay for the long distance call if you are out of the country, but the briefing should still be free.
fic_nav_canada_fic_regions_pbs_e.jpg

Last edited:
The number I used ( maritimes) , and have programmed into my phone is 866-541-4106. On the map , the maritimes is the same number as Ontario. Our area has been served by London for a few years now. I will try the 4104 number next time. The number I found online after was totally different and that the one I got the message About the charges.
Thanks for the help.

Note that if you are out of the country and want to call NavCanada (for flight planning purposes) you can make a collect call and they will accept... Or so i've been told by a number of pilots who cross the border regularly.

Tried to call Nav Canada today to file a flight plan ( first time this season). The old number has been disconnected and when calling the new number, there was a message that the call would cost $4 something.
Anybody know why our Government wants GA out of the sky in Canada?
I'm confident that you know that Nav Canada is not government ?
What Andy and others said, check what # you actually dialed.
I call QC FIC regularly to get a transponder code (before flight when planning entering YQB class C) or to get breiffed before a flight and never was met with a phone charge.

Last edited:
They are as close to Government as you can get without being the Government. Name another private company that can mandate charges to private people, even if they have no intention of using their services?

Back