What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which spark plug adapter ?

My lycoming IO 360 has short 1/2 inch reach plugs . I’m switching to P Mags and auto plugs (NGK (5044) BR8EIX iridium) they are long reach plugs . Do I need the long reach adapter or the short one since my original aircraft plugs were short ?
I’m assuming it’s the long one for the longer auto plug but just wanted to make sure .

Thanks

My lycoming IO 360 has short 1/2 inch reach plugs . I’m switching to P Mags and auto plugs (NGK (5044) BR8EIX iridium) they are long reach plugs . Do I need the long reach adapter or the short one since my original aircraft plugs were short ?
I’m assuming it’s the long one for the longer auto plug but just wanted to make sure .

Thanks

What happens to the extra reach of the new plug when installed in the head??

Use the adapter needed for your engine. For most people:
- Parallel valve Lycoming; short adapter. Goes well the NGK BR8ES plugs.
- Angle head Lycoming; long adapter. Goes with Denso IKH27 plugs.

Pages 8 and 9 of the pMag install manual

Carl

Thanks

Look for the solid top version part number NGK 6747. The 5044 has screw off tops.

Bevan

One thought on which plug to use. I initially used the NGK BR8ES plug. I noticed the engine would diesel on shut down. I assumed that was because the BR8ES plugs were acting like a glow plug and igniting the fuel, even though the magnetos were grounded to off. Changing to NGK BR9ES plugs got rid of the dieseling.

At higher power settings a glowing plug can cause pre-ignition which is a bad thing, if you can not stop it. Switching to BR9ES plugs should have a better safety margin.

I put 2 p mags on June 24 2017 along with 8 new BR8ES plugs which was 249 hrs ago. Engine ran perfect and still is. Just bought 8 new ones today. When I turned out the first plug the adapter came out as well. Plug end was almost like new and tan in Color. Running 100LL. My bad memory tells me there is some specific way to properly reinstall but I don’t recall. Are u supposed to put the adapter and plug back in separately or as one unit?

I put 2 p mags on June 24 2017 along with 8 new BR8ES plugs which was 249 hrs ago. Engine ran perfect and still is. Just bought 8 new ones today. When I turned out the first plug the adapter came out as well. Plug end was almost like new and tan in Color. Running 100LL. My bad memory tells me there is some specific way to properly reinstall but I don’t recall. Are u supposed to put the adapter and plug back in separately or as one unit?

One unit and torqued through spark plug. You should definitely read the manual to avoid the common broken adapter.

Back