What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS480 position source wiring to GTX330ES

8MikeXray

Well Known Member
Is there anyone out there that could please share the wiring diagram and associated settings needed to connect the GNS480 position source data to the GTX330ES.

Thanks for your help,

Mike Cingari

First thing to check is the 480 software. I don’t know the version number, but boot it up holding down the correct button (I forget which) to bring up the internal set up menu. Then find the RS232 set up, scroll thru the available formats. If you find ‘adsb+’ (it must have the +) select it. Run a wire from that port to the rs232-in on the 330es.If you cannot find adsb+ in the format list then you need to go to a Garmin dealer and get the newest software installed.

Warning re 480 software upgrade. There have been 1 or 2 instances where the 480 ‘crashed’ when doing the ‘update’ for ADSB data out - if that happens Garmin can not fix the issue as support for the 480 has ceased. Confirm with them first.
I have a customer with a ‘new’ (not flown yet) 480 & after finding out about the above we decided to go another route for the position source for ADSB OUT.

ADSB+ only on Serial Port 3

The other trick beyond having the correct software version is that the required ADSB+ data is only available on Serial Port 3. Most the the ports can can support one of several formats but only 3 will output the data you need. I can get the software version number if you need it. I run a GNS 480.

GNS480 position data to GTX330ES

So I would need to use serial port #3 on the GNS480 to provide the 330ES with position data.

Fortunately, this GNS480 has the most current software installed

Garmin Service Bulletin 1519: GNS 480 Software Upgrade to Version 2.4 with GPS Software Upgrade to Version 5.1

Any idea which serial ports on the 330ES should be connected to the #3 port on the GNS480?

Many Thanks,

Mike Cingari

GNS 480 Interface Settings

So I would need to use serial port #3 on the GNS480 to provide the 330ES with position data.

Fortunately, this GNS480 has the most current software installed

Garmin Service Bulletin 1519: GNS 480 Software Upgrade to Version 2.4 with GPS Software Upgrade to Version 5.1

Any idea which serial ports on the 330ES should be connected to the #3 port on the GNS480?

Many Thanks,

Mike Cingari

Hi Mike,

What part number is the installation manual you are using to install your equipment?

Using ADS-B+ data from the GNS 480 (port 3) will provide GPS data to the GTX 330ES.

The GTX + format on the GNS 480 (port 6) provides remote control of the transponder from the GNS 480, alongside sending GPS data to the GTX 330ES.

The GTX w/TIS + format (port 6) accomplishes the same as GTX +, but also sends TIS-A Traffic data from the GTX 330ES to the GNS 480.

The software version of the GTX 330ES may also be an important factor in determining how to best interface these two pieces of equipment.

Feel free to send us an email, and we can help with any other questions you may have.

Thanks,

Justin

GNS480 manual

Hi Justin,

I am using GNS480 Installation Manual dated March 2015 560-0982-01 Rev M

and the GTX 330/33 with ADS-B Out Installation Manual 190-00734-10
June 2013 Rev. 3

Please confirm: connect the RS232 from the GNS480 port 3, into the GTX330ES RS232 port 2.

I have not yet upgraded the GTX330 to the ES model and when done it will have the most current software version.

Can the 330ES get ads-b position data from port 6 of the 480 to port 1 of the 330ES, as that is the current RS232 connection between the units. If so, can I just install the 330ES into the tray, with no additional wiring, and configure the system for ads-b operation?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Following this thread

Gentlemen, I am following this thread as well with great interest as I am also trying to get my GNS480 to “see” my GTX33ES

The position data required for ADSB out (ADSB+) will only come out of serial port 3 on the GNS 480. You can use the other port to control the 330 if you choose. This would allow you to display the transponder information on the 480 as well as control all the functions. The 480 was designed to run the SL70R transponder this way as the transponder was mounted remotely and had no display but using the port 6 control will do this for most Garmin transponders is my undrstanding.

I will double up on Skysailor's information. GNS480 only outputs ADSB+ on Port 3. This provides the position information data stream.

Remote control of the transponder is via GNS480 Port 6.

GNS 480 Configuration

Port 6 on the GNS 480 can be set to GTX + or GTX w/TIS+, and will provide remote control, ADS-B Compliant GPS Data, and optionally TIS-A traffic information. If using either one of these, you do not need to use ADS-B+ from port 3.

gns480-X2.png

Thanks,

Justin

GNS 480 Wiring

Hi Justin,

I am using GNS480 Installation Manual dated March 2015 560-0982-01 Rev M

and the GTX 330/33 with ADS-B Out Installation Manual 190-00734-10
June 2013 Rev. 3

Please confirm: connect the RS232 from the GNS480 port 3, into the GTX330ES RS232 port 2.

I have not yet upgraded the GTX330 to the ES model and when done it will have the most current software version.

Can the 330ES get ads-b position data from port 6 of the 480 to port 1 of the 330ES, as that is the current RS232 connection between the units. If so, can I just install the 330ES into the tray, with no additional wiring, and configure the system for ads-b operation?

Thanks,

Mike

Port 6 on the GNS 480 connected to port 1 of the GTX 330ES will work just fine. Use either of the configuration setting mentioned above.

Thanks,

Justin

Port 6 on the GNS 480 can be set to GTX + or GTX w/TIS+, and will provide remote control, ADS-B Compliant GPS Data, and optionally TIS-A traffic information. If using either one of these, you do not need to use ADS-B+ from port 3.

gns480-X2.png

Thanks,

Justin

Justin - this is most helpful information. In fact I believe it is information which did not appear in the GNS480 manual at the time it was updated to reflect the availability of ADSB+ protocol on Port 3.

Would you please confirm the version of GNS480 installation manual which contains this information?

Ads-b Does not work

Hi Justin,

I connected the GNS480 (serial port 6) to the GTX330ES (serial port 1) and my ADS-B is not working.

software version on the GTX330ES is 7.02

It displays no adsb on the upper left of the screen.

The transponder controls on the GNS 480 have no effect on the GTX 330

GNS480 software is version 2.4/.5.1.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Mike

Last edited:
You need Serial 3 ADSB+ out also

Mike,

Serial Port 6 in/out of the GNS 480 provides control of the transponder but does not provide the ADSB+ format you also need for the 330 to provide ADSB Out. On your screen you do not have the GNS 480 Serial port 3 turned on. If you have connected Serial 3 Output from the GNS 480 to a serial input on the 330 you need to turn it on in your RS 232 Setup page. In your setup you need Serial Port 3 out set to ADSB+ format sent to the 330 along with Serial Port 6 in/out sent to/from the 330.

Time to move the pins!

Skysailor,

I will relocate the GNS480 pins from serial port 6 to serial port 3 and use the adsb+ setting from the 480 to the 330ES.

I’ll report back once I have completed the swap.

Thank you for your help

Mike

Why not use both ports on the 330?

Mike,

The 330 has two serial ports as shown in your picture. You could leave the GNS 480 Port 6 connected to 330 port 1 as you have it. Connect GNS port 3 out to the 330 Port 2 in utilizing ADSB+ output. This will give you the ADSB out information broadcast from the 330. In this arrangement the 480 will also display the status of the 330 and can even control it if that is your desire.

Port 2 input is being used by fadec w/alt

Skysailor,

Port 2 input on the 330 is being used by fadec w/alt. Altitude encoder data for the transponder that originates from the EFIS. Don’t want to mess with that!

I will relocate 480 pins to port 3 and leave port 1 on the 330 as is.

When you activate adsb+ on port 3 tx does it allow any options to be selected on port 3 rx? I think not.

I really do not need remote control of the 330 from the 480 so serial port 3 to serial port 1 will work for my needs.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Skysailor,

Port 2 input on the 330 is being used by fadec w/alt. Altitude encoder data for the transponder that originates from the EFIS. Don’t want to mess with that!

I will relocate 480 pins to port 3 and leave port 1 on the 330 as is.

When you activate adsb+ on port 3 tx does it allow any options to be selected on port 3 rx? I think not.

I really do not need remote control of the 330 from the 480 so serial port 3 to serial port 1 will work for my needs.

Thanks,

Mike

Since neither remote control or ADS-B is working, it seems there is something wrong with either the wiring or the configuration for the connection from port 6 to port 1. It is very easy to drop a pin in the connector in the wrong position, you could try ringing out the wiring for that connection.

This is incorrect information:

Serial Port 6 in/out of the GNS 480 provides control of the transponder but does not provide the ADSB+ format you also need for the 330 to provide ADSB Out.

In any case, serial port 3 will work just fine if the remote control ability is of no interest.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Justin

Success

I removed the transponder yesterday and found a bent pin in the HD d sub connector. I replaced the pin and everything ground checked OK. I took it flying yesterday and the ADS-B worked. I received a successful PAPR report and I’m good to go. Pin 6 from the 480 to pin 1 on the 330 provides ads-b out and control of the transponder from the 480.

Many thanks to all of you for your help.

Mike

Back