What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brakes...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
At condition inspection last March my A&P said that I would need to replace my brake pads at the next inspection. Over the next month I am putting together on order for parts, and I want to order pads.

I did not build my plane. Is there a way that I can tell the type and part number of the pads I need by simply removing the wheel pants and looking at the brake assembly? If not, how do I determine the type of pads I need?

Thanks,

If the brakes are original as supplied by Vans, what you want is Rapco kit RA66-106-4K. This kit gives you 4 pads and the rivets.
You can get it from Aircraft Spruce for $24.

If the brakes are original as supplied by Vans, what you want is Rapco kit RA66-106-4K. This kit gives you 4 pads and the rivets.
You can get it from Aircraft Spruce for $24.

Thanks for the quick response, Mel. I don't if they are what was supplied by Van's, is there a way to tell by looking at the assembly with the wheel pant off?

Van's supply's the 30-9 brake assembly, in the kits. Look and see if the label is still visible on the brake assembly. If so, it should be Part. Number 30-9.
As Mel says, the 066-106 is the replacement pad.

Ross Scroggs
RV-4 #3911 Finishing Kit
Locust Grove, Ga

Van's supply's the 30-9 brake assembly, in the kits. Look and see if the label is still visible on the brake assembly. If so, it should be Part. Number 30-9.
As Mel says, the 066-106 is the replacement pad.

Ross Scroggs
RV-4 #3911 Finishing Kit
Locust Grove, Ga

To clarify, 30-9 or sometimes stated as 30-09 is actually the part number for the caliper assembly. Look at the silver label found on the brake calipers.
Charlie

Pulled a pant this morning, the label on the caliper said Cleveland 30-9. So, now I know what pads to purchase.

Thanks to all that replied.

Last edited:
Either one of those will be correct for your 30-9 calipers. The Rapco linings have a notch at the corner that helps you gauge the wear. Also, a few extra rivets and the rivet tool...:)

Back