What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 7a Nose wheel Pant Removal

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Non builder needs to air up the nose wheel tire..removed front part of nose wheel pant and now can't quite figure out how to remove the rear of the pant. I see a bracket on each side which attaches to the towing nut, so do I remove the nut to remove the rear part of the pant? The towing nut is serrated. Is that all that's holding the rear section on?

Photos would be helpful, or a build diagram of the pant attachment.

thanks..

On mine, if you take off the 'towing nuts' and their spacers, the aft fairing with brackets attached, will slide backwards and off. No need to take the brackets off the fairing

Last edited:
Nose Wheel Pant Removal

Remove the towing bolts with an Allen wrench and slide the wheel pant off. There is no need to remove the wheel pant from the brackets.

Thanks guys...I didn't see the allen wrench socket in the "towing" bolts..BTW...what should the air pressure be for the nose?...mains?

Air hole

If you don't want to remove the nose wheel pant each time you check the air then you can drill an access hole in the side of the pant in the correct position to line up with the valve and then use an extension to access the valve from the outside. Our club plane is set up like this and I bet the air pressure is checked more frequently than if we had to remove the wheel pant to do it!

Would be nice to have the access hole and a plug to insert to cover the hole..anyone done this? Photos?

When I bough my -7A, it had access holes for all 3 wheel pants. I bought 7/8" plugs for them from Aircraft Spruce. To make it easy to find the proper rotation spot to access the valve stem, I found it by trial and error and then painted a white nail polish stripe on the tire straight down. Only problem is that the nail polish flakes off over time.

When I bough my -7A, it had access holes for all 3 wheel pants. I bought 7/8" plugs for them from Aircraft Spruce. To make it easy to find the proper rotation spot to access the valve stem, I found it by trial and error and then painted a white nail polish stripe on the tire straight down. Only problem is that the nail polish flakes off over time.

Yup. My -9A has valve stem access holes with press-fit caps. The valve stem cap is a hex nut. I line up the valve stem with the hole, wrench off the cap with a can wrench, and air up the tire with a long straight-ahead air chuck.

Wheel pants....I just leave the bracket and remove the screws that hold the fiberglass on the brackets. Pretty easy, and I have the drill/driver out anyway to get the nose-piece off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.23.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.23.15 PM.png
    342 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.26.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.26.18 PM.png
    373 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.30.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 2.30.32 PM.png
    353.6 KB · Views: 85
Back