What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cincy - El Paso - Wichita - Cincy

A5555

Well Known Member
these airplanes allow for good travel experiences to see family and friends....

route.jpg

early morning start, I used my night light for the first time for real. it helped.
DSCN5526.jpg

DSCN5527.jpg

dawn breaking and there always seems to be a slight cloud change when I cross the Mississippi River

DSCN5528.jpg

DSCN5530.jpg

DSCN5539.jpg

Arkansas mountains and a beautiful city river area. I need to look on the map to see where this was.

DSCN5554.jpg

DSCN5559.jpg

Texas Oklahoma boarder - removing my cowl air dams in Sweetwater TX.
my Grandparents honeymood'd here in 1928, so I made sure to buzz the old downtown route.

DSCN5563.jpg

DSCN5564.jpg

Last edited:
my favorite ocean reef fossil mountain area.... the Guadalupe and El Capitan. winds were low and I had plenty of fuel, so I flew down the West face.

DSCN5572.jpg

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5582.jpg

DSCN5606.jpg

a couple nights in El Paso with my son and daughter's (Sweden) family. a slotted canyon around El Paso.

DSCN5612.jpg

DSCN5629.jpg

DSCN5636.jpg

DSCN5633.jpg

DSCN5622.jpg

Basalt lava flow on top of sedimentary rock and then uplifted and twisted. you can usually find a fossilized sharks' tooth if you look hard.

DSCN5626.jpg

Last edited:
on the way from El Paso to Wichita I cruised through Vance MOA at 200 kts and was worked by the Vance controller, very nice, very professional and busy.

landed Wichita and they were busy putting the planes inside for the coming snowstorm, so they didn't chock me and there were no chains to tie down. I used my own chocks and called them later that day to remind them to tie me down, but they already did. so, I was good for the big cold (-14C) blow that night.

DSCN5641.jpg

DSCN5638.jpg

my Dad always puts me to work on a rent house while I'm in Wichita. I usually get to work on the bathroom, lucky me. I took my time one evening and really did a nice job on a shower, removing old sealant and adding new. I was proud of that job.

the next day I took a look at the airplane and the weather and told them to move my plane inside a heated hangar because I was departing the next day. the chocks held fine with no strain on the chains.

DSCN5646.jpg

DSCN5643.jpg

a nice halo on the way home to Cincy. a very good trip. these planes allow one to see and do so much.

16 hrs of flying, no issues, no oil added.

over St Louis, thx Mom

DSCN5650.jpg

DSCN5656.jpg

my favorite girl

DSCN5523.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice report Steve.
Brings back memories of El Paso. Was deployed to Ft. Bliss in 2020 and was able to scout the area pretty well, on roads of course. Would like to fly out there sometime. NM is so awesome as well.

Steve. If you ever land back at El Paso I can probably get you into an enclosed hangar. It would be a pleasure.

Steve. If you ever land back at El Paso I can probably get you into an enclosed hangar. It would be a pleasure.

OK. I'll be back, I've got grandkids there. Dona Anana was very good to me and busier than I ever remembered it. Busy, busy, busy. It must be all the oil and gas they have discovered in NM.

Last edited:
the weather Gods were with me on this trip as I had tailwinds most of the time. I'm a Grandad but this trip made me feel like a kid, weird, but I like it.

take off 7:38 AM Cincy time, arrive 3:24 PM El Paso time. that may beat the airlines time, if you could get a fight.

3.5 hr flight from El Paso to Wichita

3.5 hr flight from Wichita to Cincy

yep, I was haulin' ***, but Amanda would correct me and say no, "the plane was haulin' your ***". :)

I've been to El Paso several times and thru the pass at El Capitan. one time it was over 100F degrees on the ground, the mountains were on fire and wind was blowing hard filling the sky with dirt, I couldn't see a thing and was getting hammered with turbulence. this has been my theme song rolling into El Paso since then....

https://youtu.be/l482T0yNkeo

Last edited:
the weather Gods were with me on this trip as I had tailwinds most of the time. I'm a Grandad but this trip made me feel like a kid, weird, but I like it.

take off 7:38 AM Cincy time, arrive 3:24 PM El Paso time. that may beat the airlines time, if you could get a fight.

3.5 hr flight from El Paso to Wichita

3.5 hr flight from Wichita to Cincy

yep, I was haulin' ***, but Amanda would correct me and say no, "the plane was haulin' your ***". :)

I've been to El Paso several times and thru the pass at El Capitan. one time it was over 100F degrees on the ground, the mountains were on fire and wind was blowing hard filling the sky with dirt, I couldn't see a thing and was getting hammered with turbulence. this has been my theme song rolling into El Paso since then....

https://youtu.be/l482T0yNkeo

Love the it all, especially your daughters quote!

Back