What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponders: GTX 327 vs GTX 32 Pin 1

jliltd

Well Known Member
I am in the process of wiring a GTX 32 remote transponder. I am familiar with the GTX 327 (standard panel mount version) and I always connect pin 1 of the transponder to avionics master so it will automatically power up with the rest of the avionics. In my case that just means I split the power in wire and send to both pins. However, does Pin 1 work for the remote model GTX 32? Reason being I see the 327 installation manual calls Pin 1 "AVIONICS MASTER ON" whereas the GTX 32 installation manual calls Pin 1 "XPDR REMOTE POWER OFF". So we have an "on" and and a "off" designation, respectively. They sound the opposite. The GTX 32 manual I have (Revision F dated 2008) doesn't seem to address the real function of Pin 1 aside from the pin name callout. I don't know if it makes sense to have a remote power control of the remote transponder as it gets its signals from either a panel navigator or G3X type flight deck.

I don't want to fry the 32 by applying power to Pin 1 if it's supposed to be a discreet in grounded or the like. But I want to make sure the unit turns on with the avionics master switch.

Should the GTX 32 use Pin 1 for any reason?

Thanks

What a horrible manual! If you look on the page before the connector diagram, it refers to an ‘external standby input’. I *think* this is pin 1, ground pin 1 to put the unit into standby. e.g., for your installation, leave it unconnected. I’d try to get confirmation that this is correct.

Back