What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gulf Shores Alabama airspace help

rvmv

Booster
I'm planning my first flight from Atlanta to Gulf Shores Alabama. The airspace north of Gulf Shores is a bit confusing and I would very much appreciate some guidance.

The North and South Pensacola MOA's indicate they start at 10,000msl so I'll stay under those.

The A-292 alert area pretty much covers the whole area so I'll be on the alert for military activity.

There is an irregular shaped area outlined by black hatching similar to the markings for MOA's where it seems to indicate the ceiling is at 4000ft so I'll stay above that.

Anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks

check special airspace on
https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=47&sID=279&preview=true
This is around Destin Fla and may include part of the area you are referring to. There are a couple of VFR corridors across that area

After looking at AirNav looks like Gulf shores may be west of Pensacola and considerably easier to get into than Destin/ Ft Walton area. Although there is plenty of Mil traffic in that area as well. Flight follow might be the best route thru there.

Last edited:
Pensacola approach and others are good to work with

In my few visits over that way I have found them easy to work with.

Sounds like you have the airspace?s sorted out.

Other than that,..
...... often, a fair number of fires in the area, that, depending on weather, can cause some issues at certain altitudes and times of day
.... have our share and more of buzzards, eagles, etc... ( not sure if the white pelicans have a big presence over there during winter time,.. but be on lookout for large flocks of pelicans, flying formation,.... white with black on wings,...they are usually flying low enough to not be a factor)
..... Jack Edwards can get a bit busy with various type of aircraft, and at times trying to use multiple runways..usually fairly good about communicating.
.... LuLus is a short distance from Jack Edwards,... walkable from Gulf Air center, often they will give you a ride

easy peezy. Just contact Pensacola approach when you get close and they'll bring you right in. Stay west of the class C airspace as you head south. No need to mess with the east/west or north/south corridor around Eglin/Destin. Mobile approach is very helpful too. CAUTION. There are several high towers close to to interstate 10 which runs east and west. The highest one IIRC it's like 2000 feet AGL. They are spread all along I-10 both north and south. No lower than about 2700 msl should keep you clear.
If you are going into Jack Edwards... it's a nice place but pretty much all business. Foley, 5R4 is about 10 to the north. It's where I'm based. Smaller and nice friendly folks. Roger Watkins runs the FBO. Bunch of great guys there.
Like you've mentioned this entire area is MOA. Just keep your eyes open.

Things to see/do around the area
1. Naval aviation museum at Pensacola NAS (Not sure of access since the shooting)
2. Battleship USS Alabama Park. Also has a sub and impressive aviation displays
3. Lamberts in Foley 12 miles north of Gulf Shores, famous for throwed rolls! Good food.
4. Lulu's in Gulf Shores Good food
5. Many many restaurants all up and down the beach all good.
6. The Wharf in Orange Beach and OWA in Foley. Both have shows at times. OWA also has rides.
7. If you want to fly someplace. Dauphin Island about 25 miles west of Gulf Shores.... nothing there except it's a
very peaceful and beautiful place. There is a restaurant at a marina about 5 minute walk. Nice place and you
can sit right out by the boats.

Hope this helps you out. You'll have a great time in this area.

Last edited:
Mike,
I have a house in Miramar Beach and have flown VFR to Destin countless times over the past 12 years and found that the best and safest way to go is to just get flight following. I'm assuming that you are flying out of RYY. If you are comfortable, ask the nice folks at the RYY tower to see if they can get you a squawk code for flight following before taking off. If not, just ask Atlanta for one after you take off. If you aren't comfortable with that or if Atlanta is too busy, just wait until you are south of Atlanta clear of the Mode C and then ask Center for flight following. This will get you in the system talking to the right controller, letting you know if a MOA is active/hot, and provide another set of eyes of you. Additionally, when you get down near the coast they are usually very helpful in helping you navigate around any restricted airspace and you can always ask for a heading. If this is your first time, I would highly suggest working with ATC and let them help you. The toughest section is Atlanta if you are not comfortable talking to a busy ATC but South of Atlanta, you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip. Safe flying.

Last edited:
Back