What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the WAAAM

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
Saturday 7/20/19 was one of the first cloudless days we have had in weeks. It was nice to have the clouds gone, but we paid the price via higher temperatures (though nothing like what the eastern 2/3 of the country are enduring).

We decided to head down to Hood River Oregon to visit the Western Antique Airplane and Automobile Museum (WAAAM). It is a large collection of old cars, airplanes, motorcycles and other stuff. There are dozens of airplanes and just as many cars. Most all of the airplanes are flyable and they do fly them from time to time. Many of the items on display do not actually belong to the museum and are just on loan for display.

The trip down would take us past Mt. Rainier and near Mt. St. Helens. Since I had not yet flown around Mt. St. Helens I wanted to do that on this trip.

We departed at 10:25 into clear skies that were mostly calm. We climbed to 9,500' and headed east to stay on the east edge of the Class B. That is an interesting place to be as you get all of the airliners going into and out of SeaTac going either above or below you. The arrivals would go below while the departures would be above.

I went to the west of Mt. Rainer since that was a more direct route to Mt. St. Helens. Carl went to the west of Mt. Rainer to go direct to Hood River. It was very calm at that time on the west side of the mountain. On the east side there were small wispy clouds forming at the top of the thermal activity making a little bumpy right at our altitude. Carl climbed higher to get above it while I still had a smooth ride at 9,500'.

I then headed to Mt. St. Helens to get some video there. It was still very smooth and I was able to get right next to the mountain. There also was no one else in the area so I could pretty much do what I wanted. It looks a little sad and depressing in the summer without much snow. In the winter when it is snow covered it is much prettier.

From there, descending into Hood River was pretty bumpy. There wasn't too much wind, but a lot of thermal activity creating bumps.

After landing and securing the airplanes we went over to the museum for a couple of hours. On the second Saturday during each month in the summer they have fly days where they exercise various parts of the collection. This was not one of those days so nothing was flying.

About 2:30 we headed home. We could see cumulus forming that indicated the top of the thermal activity and it looked like we would have to go really high to get over it (I forgot to bring the O2 tank). We had considered going to the west and coming up the west side of the Class B (kinda the long way from there). I wanted to try a more direct route and it wasn't too bad. There were a few bumps here and there, but nothing too bad.

The other nice thing about cruising at the higher altitudes is that it is much cooler. It was very comfortable for most of the trip, but was a bit too warm at the ends, more so in Oregon than here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8T17L9PY

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to make some of those trips once my plane is done (live in Camas, WA).

Nice slideshow.
There are several airplanes in the museum that I have an association with. It?s nice to see them again.

Thanks. I like that museum since there are many airplanes there that have meaning for me. My Dad owned several similar items when I was a kid.

Steve- do you know if their Jenny is the one that Wally Olson used to own? Wally Owned Evergreen airport forever in Vancouver and as a kid/young adult I learned to fly there and always admired that plane.

Thanks!
dan

Very Interesting.....

Ann & I spent 3.5 hours in the WAAAM on Friday the 19th as part of our week-long Riverboat Cruise. The museum is very well done, especially the restoration facility. We could have easily spent several MORE hours, but had to return to the boat.

Last edited:
WAAAM was so good,...it had me thinking about moving there

Very interesting place,... lots of different airplanes and automobiles,..and a few odds and ends. (Washing machine engine, tractor, fire truck, etc.)

What blew me away was that the ONLY two PAID positions are the A&P for airplane sign off and the accountant. All the rest are volunteer positions. I must admit it was rolling around in my head what a big toy box the two hangars were,...and how neat it would be to help out in keeping all the stuff operational.

The guy that started the place came around on his scooter to answer my questions on the Ford V-8s and usage in certified planes. (They had the two that were approved by the predecessor to FAA )

- highly recommend you go,...and ask questions of those helping around
- those lucky enough to be close should see what interesting stuff you can get involved with

I love the WAAM.
The day before your flight, Marilyn and I flew our RV-8 down to Sisters Oregon. We flew past Mt Hood on the west side going south, and returned up the east side (bumpier). We entered the upper valley and flew over Jernstedt 4S2, listening in on the glider/tow plane activity.
The Columbia River was covered with Sailboarders! What a sight.

Back