What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When mount the tanks on the wings?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Once both fuel tanks have been tested and found to be free of leaks, should the tanks be mounted on the wings? Is there any need later to remove them, or partially remove them?
I'd hate to go through the real installation only to find out that they need to be removed later in the normal course of contruction.

Some like to mount the wings with the tanks off, others like to put the tanks on first. Builder’s choice but I believe it all goes easier if the tanks are on the wings.

While the tanks are still off I recommend putting 5-10 gallons of 100LL in each and let them sit on the bench for a few weeks in different positions. The idea is to find the weeping rivets before paint.

Carl

I mounted and took mine off several times. I just used the surface screws but I had notes, streamers, and tape banners reminding me the inside the wing bolts were not in. It is fun seeing things put together and it helps align the flaps and ailerons. The wings look weird with them off!

Back