What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP: Missing screws - oil cooler to head RV7

BillL

Well Known Member
This is likely not a new thing but for a lot of buyers-not-builders a heads-up.
At 196 hrs I changed the oil and was to begin my FWF inspection. Events limited me to the change and recowled for 1 hr flight. Cowl removed and found two screws mins in 1 hr flight time, one fell from lower cowl at removal.

I question my observation skills not finding one missing just an hour before, so having found one, would conclude that once loose, these screws can back out really fast!

As Walt and Vic always say "put-a-wrench-on-it" to check the torque!! I was not wise to these particular fasteners, but should have been. Shame face applied . . :(

So - I will reinstall, torque and recheck every 10 hours to be sure they are tight and follow up with additional information.
IMG_6029.jpg

Well, don't tell anyone! Some activist will start a Facebook page to whine about the danger to small children, bald men, and rare rodents. The concern will soon become a crisis, and pretty soon we'll all be dealing with the Department of Falling Screws.

Consider the grief when required to catalog and report the contents of our little plastic trays ;)

Well this thread is sure timely. Shut down today for fuel and saw a screw on the ground. Thought it was someone else's until I looked at it. Sure enough it was the little one that holds the aft baffle onto cylinder #3.

Poor guy made it 130 hours before departing. At least now I don't have to look for a screw in my hardware bags. :D I usually check these with a screw driver every 25 hours or so; looks like this one will get a little bit of liquid blue. :)

Well, don't tell anyone! Some activist will start a Facebook page to whine about the danger to small children, bald men, and rare rodents. The concern will soon become a crisis, and pretty soon we'll all be dealing with the Department of Falling Screws.

Consider the grief when required to catalog and report the contents of our little plastic trays ;)

Yeah, i just imagine too people walking on a trail talking about climate change and a little screw falls in front of them from a cloudy sky. One says to the other - -see I told ya, we're screwed! or we're getting screwed! or something like that.

Last edited:
Those screws are very susceptible to backing out. I always use new star washers and even blue locktite on those! There are two per cylinder..

Yeah, i just imagine too people walking on a trail talking about climate change and a little screw falls in front of them from a cloudy sky. One says to the other - -see I told ya, we're screwed! or we're getting screwed! or something like that.

I just choked on my beer :D:D:D

Back