What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intake gaskets and intake hoses

abuura

Well Known Member
I plan to replace all four intake gaskets (time's up...) and last I did it remember challenge involved in pulling down on the tube to create a gap big enough to properly clean all of the old gasket off.
Pulling the intake tube out of the intake hose (part 69603) would allow unfettered access to the cylinder flange and make installing the gasket much cleaner and easier. Question is, would that damage the intake hose and require its replacement?
Experiences, opinions?

Depends on the age of the intake hose. Remove a tube and check the flexibility of the hose.

Part 69603 is fuel hose that can be purchased at any NAPA Auto parts.

I replaced my flat gaskets with the o-ring design from SDS. Easy install and no flat gasket issues. The constant tension clamps never need to be tightened like a worm gear clamp.

http://sdsefi.com/sdsaero.htm

Scroll down to the intake tubes.

I plan to replace all four intake gaskets (time's up...) and last I did it remember challenge involved in pulling down on the tube to create a gap big enough to properly clean all of the old gasket off.
Pulling the intake tube out of the intake hose (part 69603) would allow unfettered access to the cylinder flange and make installing the gasket much cleaner and easier. Question is, would that damage the intake hose and require its replacement?
Experiences, opinions?

Any time I've replaced the gaskets, I've replaced the hoses. They are pretty inexpensive. But, to answer your question, I don't see a problem pulling the intake tubes all the way off and re-using the intake hoses.

The SDS solution is nice, but the stock setup works just fine at a fraction of the price.

Hi David,

The original hoses might be so distorted it's better to slice them then fight to remove. I had one literally fused to the tube. First time I changed them after several hundred hours for another set of Lycoming stock ones.

1-4-1.jpg

Stock hoses lasted several years then aged and shrunk again. I replaced them with silicone ones from a racing store. Someone here referred me to the online store. Still tight and keeping shape.

intake%20hose%20-%201%202.jpg

Be careful what happens to silicone hoses when it sees a bunch of gasoline. Might be ok on injected engines but probably not with a carb.

Last edited:
Be careful what happens to silicone hoses when it sees a bunch of gasoline. Might be ok on an injected engines but probably not with a carb.

Ross would be correct, silicone is not very resistant to fuel, fluorosilicone (FVMQ) is.

The real reason to replace them is to fix a problem before it is a problem. I'm in Ross's SDS camp with the constant pressure clamps and o-ring gaskets.
Done no problems.
Art

The real reason to replace them is to fix a problem before it is a problem. I'm in Ross's SDS camp with the constant pressure clamps and o-ring gaskets.
Done no problems.
Art
Yeah, I considered that option but at $60 per cylinder,, compared to $11-$12, depending on the gasket,, I’ll pass for now.

And for me, these have never been a problem.
No leaks, all my numbers are good.
800 hours on original gaskets/tubes.

I just want to replace the tubes since they are rubber, and they are looking pretty aged.
Add to that, that bottom area below the cylinders is always tough to keep clean. Pulling these off will allow me to get in there and do a nice cleaning.

Back