What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step repair/reinforcement service offered. WD-657-R & L

I'm getting ready to remove my steps and send them for repair. They are cracked along the weld on the underside where the step meets the fuselage. Is it OK to fab a plate to cover the hole temporarily so I can still fly while the steps are out or is there too much stress in the area?

Russ did my steps and they are beautiful! Just send them in and he does great work, dirt cheap if you ask me!

I'm getting ready to remove my steps and send them for repair. They are cracked along the weld on the underside where the step meets the fuselage. Is it OK to fab a plate to cover the hole temporarily so I can still fly while the steps are out or is there too much stress in the area?

Flying with the steps removed and without a cover plate should not be a problem.
You could cover the hole with tape if you are concerned about the air leakage.

Thanks Scott. Russ emailed me noting a 1 day turn around for repair of the step. Amazing!! I thought it would be a month or so which is why I wanted to cover the hole. Looks like it won't be necessary. I appreciate your response.
Dave

Welding Step inplace

So has anyone welded the step wedge onto the step while it's still on the aircraft? I've ordered the wedges and a new step for the pilots side (failed after 1962 Hrs). I have already repaired the co-pilots side and installed AN3 bolts and nut plates and an inspection panel in the baggage compartment floor. I can do the same for the pilots side, but it's a LOT of work for this 73 year old.
So can the wedge be welded in place on the aircraft with a low power MIG welder?

Best to remove

So has anyone welded the step wedge onto the step while it's still on the aircraft? I've ordered the wedges and a new step for the pilots side (failed after 1962 Hrs). I have already repaired the co-pilots side and installed AN3 bolts and nut plates and an inspection panel in the baggage compartment floor. I can do the same for the pilots side, but it's a LOT of work for this 73 year old.
So can the wedge be welded in place on the aircraft with a low power MIG welder?

This has come up before, e.g. see post #42 in this thread, but I wouldn't do it anyway because a) you need good access to the underside of the step bracket to fit the patch, and b) concerns about the welding heat affecting the aluminum skin. The welds will be red hot, whatever the process (preferably TIG or gas). Better to do it "properly", even if there is a bit of effort to remove the step, IMHO. Vans do allow the option of installing the steps with the specified pulled rivets instead of solid.

Back