What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9-A value?

Dreamin9

I am the second owner of an RV9-A and am considering its sale to a friend.

It was built in 2004, I bought it in 2017, did some significant upgrades since then. It has 650 Hobbs time.

What might be a fair no haggle selling price to a long time friend?

Details are listed below:

Kroger Shade
SuperTracks Canopy Extension for easy baggage access
Oregon Aero leather/memory foam seats(2) with two 1” vertical extenders
Heated pitot tube
Lycoming 0-320 160 hp, ~650 hr Hobbs
Sensenich prop
Aerox 15 cu. ft. Ox System, 2 cannula
Sentry Mini ADS-B
Anti-Splat nose gear reinforcement
Anti-Splat cowl flap
Anti-Splat old guy heel bar
Hooker Harness 4 point belts(2)
Backup alternator
Garmin G5 with backup battery
Dynon
—Dual 10” Touch Screens, each with backup battery
—VHF Com Radio
—Knob Control Panel
—Autopilot Control Panel includes auto pitch trim, manual roll trim
—Dual ADAHRS
—Engine Monitoring System
—Mode-S Transponder with ADS-B out
—Dual Band ADS-B weather/traffic Receiver
—Auto Pilot, roll/pitch
—2 WI-FI adaptors (two way connection with pad/phone)
—bunch of magic hidden hardware to make it all work
Garmin GTN 625 navigator (IFR)
Garmin SL40 Comm
Garmin Audio Panel
4 USB ports
406 ELT with remote activation

Many thanks for your opinion,

Carl

…good info about the airplane. An RV-9 (even the hampered A versions) are valued objects, no questions asked.

Now please define friend. A real friend can use my aircraft. A real friend will inherit the same aircraft when time comes. For free… is that your definition of a friend?

Fair price for a friend

A fair price for a friend (no profit expected) could be what you paid for the plane plus the cost of the upgrades minus depreciation for the hours you have used.
Market value depends to some extent on the paint job.
I'm guessing in the range $90K-$120K just to get the opinions going. :D

Sounds like a very nice plane. Based on my own RV-9A, which is a little newer, fewer hours, and very similarly equipped (major difference being the C/S prop), and which I bought 15 months ago before things got really crazy, I'd guess that $100,000-$115,000 would be great deal for a friend.

There are 4 for sale on a popular aviation marketplace. 2@$85K, 1@$105K and 1@110K (sold), asking price of course, but in this market they will probably sell at or at least close to those prices. None of the planes are as nicely equipped as yours. None have an IFR navigator. I would think it is at the higher end of MacCool and PaulvS estimates, if not over.

If it is a quality build and visually appealing, given the specifications you gave, I'd say $110k is fair to you both. You would get a nice gain thanks to this market, your friend would get a deal and will only get hurt if the market tanks and she needs to sell it quickly.

There are 4 for sale on a popular aviation marketplace. 2@$85K, 1@$105K and 1@110K (sold), asking price of course, but in this market they will probably sell at or at least close to those prices. None of the planes are as nicely equipped as yours. None have an IFR navigator. I would think it is at the higher end of MacCool and PaulvS estimates, if not over.

Well, likely true but I was thinking selling it to a good friend. If I was going to advertise my airplane to sell, I think I'd list it a lot closer to the $130k mark.

Friend price is $40,000 to $50,000.

:D heh heh. I admire that you have friends that are that close. Me...I don't have anyone that is such a good friend that I'd sell that airplane for that price. Including relatives :) .

"Don't rent to friends or relatives" as we say in the rental business.
A good friend will pay you more than you asked for because he knows you are selling too low.
Seriously, I think PaulvS is is in the ball park with his assessment.

Carl, If the sale to your friend does not come together, I am looking for a good 9A with no damage history. My wife and I put 1200 hours on a 6 that put a tear in my eye when it left. I am a serious buyer at a fair price for the right 9A.
Steve Colwell 512 623-0788

Back