What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat modification to 7?

Bobstern

Patron
Is it possible to make modifications to make the seat position in an existing 6A to be more like the height/position of a 7A? My friend told me the 7 seat position and height is much more comforable than the 6, especially for larger people.

Thanks, and how difficult/expensive would this modification be?

Pretty sure the seat position is the same. The 7 used different, shorter ribs under the seat that lower the seat pan relative to the 6. Without cutting and grafting, the only option would be to rip out and replace the ribs. This would be a very unpleasant job, as the 7 ribs are pre-drilled and will not align with the builder drilled fuse skins and seat pan.

You can achieve the same effect by cutting an inch or so of height out of your seat cushions.

Larry

Thanks, I guess I need to fly in both to see the difference for myself.

You may not have noticed yet, but the plane should have three different hinge half's for mounting the seat back. You may want to pull the cushions and experiment with these. You can also take them out and re-rivet them in for a more precise position.

Larry

The 7 has a little more leg room than the 6 but headroom is about the same. You will find a lot more difference in seating comfort and fit depending on what brand seat cushions are installed then you will in differences between the two models. You just need to try it out and adjust as needed for your body size.

You may not have noticed yet, but the plane should have three different hinge half's for mounting the seat back. You may want to pull the cushions and experiment with these. You can also take them out and re-rivet them in for a more precise position.

Larry

My 1991 plans built ( not real sure what that means, it’s in the log) 6A only has two rows and wondered if i could just pull rivet me another hinge half in. Excellent

I have a 6 slider that uses the stock seat ribs the pedals are placed as far forward as possible (easily done during the Build and not to difficult to retrofit) I moved the seat back crossmember back about 2" Ala the "almost 7" mod I moved the last row of hinge plates back about 1.5" this does cause some interference with the stock seat belt mounts that must be engineered around

The result is a very comfortable seating position for my 6'4", 34" inseam frame. The slightly more reclined seat back creates significantly more headroom

These few m9ds make a huge difference from stock. As previously suggested, small differences in seat cushion thickness and seat adjustment go a long way. Not sure I would be at all comfy in a stock 6

Last edited:
Problem Solved!!

--- We offer the almost a 14 mod for the RV-6 that everyone seems to love, if
you are possibly interested go have a look at the video on our website. Thanks, Allan:D

My 1991 plans built ( not real sure what that means, it’s in the log) 6A only has two rows and wondered if i could just pull rivet me another hinge half in. Excellent

Normally, it means that the person hand made all of the parts for his aircraft by using the measurements from the plans.

As far as adding another hinge line for your seat, you can do just the way you stated.

Normally, it means that the person hand made all of the parts for his aircraft by using the measurements from the plans.

As far as adding another hinge line for your seat, you can do just the way you stated.

Thanks….. Tony Bingelis built it in 1992 .

Back