What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camera with in-cockpit display...

tentoes

Hi all I am just curious about how much interest there is out there for mounting a digital camera to the under-side of an RV taildragger and displaying the real-time video from it on a display in the cockpit? Primarily I am thinking of folks using it on taildraggers on the ground to be able to see what's ahead on the ground when taxiing, but it could also be used when airborne or any time at all.

This idea is do-able by anyone really. It would just use a raspberry pi micro-computer, a digital camera such as an IMX258 (has image-stabilization) and a small display. It could very easily incorporate a gimbal to be able to move the camera with a small joystick in the cockpit as well. With different cameras, you could have some night vision capabilities as well. One could do this relatively cheaply starting around $250 - $300.

Just wondering how much interest there is out there.....

Last edited:
FWIW The Dynon SkyView system already has that capability. Just need to connect the right camera. :cool:

I think all the big vendors already include this functionality in their systems. Just gotta install the camera and run the wiring.

The G3X Touch (GDU460, 465, etc.) has a COMPOSITE video input via BNC connector (NOT SVGA). It will demodulate NTSC, SECAM and PAL sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

See G3X Installation manual, revision AN, Section 2.1.1.20

This is compatible with most consumer video devices (camcorders,car/truck backup cameras, etc.) GoPro might be the exception unless they have a USB-C to Video/L-R Audio adapter or something.

Didn't you bring up this same thing about a month ago? I remember responding to this same question then.

Apologies if that was somebody else...

I have a camera off eBay ready to install and connect to the composite jack on the back of my G3X Touch GDU screen. As soon as the bird is down for condition inspection. Plan on putting it out on the right wing on an inspection panel looking forward. I landed at a small air strip in Alabama last week and the narrow taxiway into my destination was hard to stay centered on due to visibility. It would have been nice to have then. I also like the idea of it when I taxi up to the gas pumps or when I clear the propeller for start. Also, the Oshkosh departure "conga line" taxi will be much safer.

I sure did post this recently but I didn't feel like there was very much feedback, that's why I posted the same thing but worded a bit differently.

Video Cameras in your RV

I have 4 cameras in my 8 with separate video selector switchs for front or back seater camera selection into their EFIS. All are micro video cameras, 3 are micro backup type cameras that can reverse the video if pointed forward so right is right and left is left. I have 2 under right wing in a access panel pointed forward/down and rear/down, 1 forward looking through my HUD, and 1 in the backseat headrest pointed back and up.

All the cameras and the switch panel I made weigh maybe 1 1/2 pounds. Modern technology provides some pretty neat capabilities. After working on the F35 program for some 15 years it spoiled me big time. Send me a PM if you want any additional details.

Hi all I am just curious about how much interest there is out there for mounting a digital camera to the under-side of an RV taildragger and displaying the real-time video from it on a display in the cockpit? Primarily I am thinking of folks using it on taildraggers on the ground to be able to see what's ahead on the ground when taxiing, but it could also be used when airborne or any time at all.

This idea is do-able by anyone really. It would just use a raspberry pi micro-computer, a digital camera such as an IMX258 (has image-stabilization) and a small display. It could very easily incorporate a gimbal to be able to move the camera with a small joystick in the cockpit as well. With different cameras, you could have some night vision capabilities as well. One could do this relatively cheaply starting around $250 - $300.

Just wondering how much interest there is out there.....

Tell me about the night vision. Is the range great enough where one could use it for and engine failure at night time??

I think there is a market for some kind of setup integrating a FLIR Boson camera. They are not inexpensive, however, after doing a little market research, I believe that if you can create a setup that will integrate a LWIR camera in the cockpit, folks would pay $3-4k for it. The closest commercially available solution is upwards of $10k.

I have thought about that capability recently... but more to be able to see directly under or just forward of my position me as I am flying. I was trying to figure out how to link the video to my tablet.. and then be able to toggle between my EFB and the video when ever I want. But I didn't find a quick solution. And I haven't really pursued the idea though...

I have the GRT Legacy HX and HS screens and I do not believe they have video inputs... and I don't have enough room for a dedicated video screen... so I still have some figuring to do. :)

So many good ideas....

Hi all. Glad to see all of the good ideas that this technology could bring to the sport, in particular safety and possibly peace-of-mind.

My original focus was primarily for daytime use of a camera mounted under the belly of a Vans to help in seeing what's ahead and on the ground, while being able to steer the view with a joystick/ball/touchpad when desired. I see now that the sky's the limit when it comes to what functionality is wanted by different people.

Right now I am working on a design that uses a single "webcam" that is mounted under the belly and is "pointable" in different directions based on the control input from the pilot. The display would be a small, 7" (measured diagonally) touchscreen (I know a lot of folks need/want one to interface with their particular make of glass but I really wanted this to be available to those with NO glass at all in their cockpit). The camera underneath would be an optically stabilized IMX-xxx type camera and all would be run by a small Raspberry Pi microcomputer, all open-sourced. For the cameras that I have seen, all have infrared imaging capability, but not as robust as the Flir-type, microbolometer-based imaging (to give you an image like that on the movie, "Predator"), these just give you a "black and white" IR image and I just don't know how useful these would be in, say, penetrating clouds to see terrain below. I am sure they would be useful while on the ground and I would include some small Infrared illuminators as well to light up the ground.

Anyway I am putting this out there to the Vans community in the hope that anyone could do a DIY build, but I am doing some experiments with some different configurations of cameras now and I will keep everyone posted.

By the way, would there be any certification issues with installing something of this scope? Part of the installation would require cutting some metal to mount the camera housing under the belly, but not much.....I'm thinking of a hole not more than a few square inches, and some screw/bolt holes with total weight not more than five pounds, tops.

Seriously this could all be do-able for around $300, for a basic capability.

Last edited:
It is very useful in a blind tail dragger. RV's are not that blind though. Here's my setup in a Zlín Z-50. It works very well. With the center screen the forward image almost blends into my natural view.
The camera was $40 on Amazon.

Lenny

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 91
I knew I was missing something when I was taxiing :)

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 153
I think a controllable position camera on a gimble under the wing would be the best! I believe anything under the belly will have trouble with the lens getting oily. Just a little right or left wouldn't take much adjustment taxiing from the cockpit. I cant see my smoke trail in my mirror unless I turn hard, with a camera and screen i could check it quickly!

Back