What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7 day of Aviation fun in the 12

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
7 days of Aviation fun in the 12

Three RV12s had been planning a x-country trip to the Petit Jean Fly-in. #1 Brent C, #2 David V and #3 Jeff V. (AKA “The Man”). We had planned on leaving on Wed morning the 14th and taking our time traveling to Arkansas. We planned a stop halfway to Memphis, but flying was good so we made it to Campbellsville, KY and spent the night. We met a fellow pilot that took us to lunch and dropped us off at the hotel. Then Thursday morning it was a short 2.2 hour flight to Memphis. We landed @ West Memphis Municipal Airport and got a hotel close for an early departure to Petit Jean AR. Thursday afternoon the 3 of us went to Beal Street for good food and visited the Music hall of Fame. Friday morning the flight of three headed to Petit Jean to see friends and meet new ones.

This event is one of the best RV Fly-ins in the country. They had roughly 120ish RVs. The EAA chapter has planned and thought out the event in detail. Great food and facilities on the top of Petit Jean. The food is top notch IE Grilled ham or turkey and cheese for lunch, then a fish fry for dinner. Fun times meeting with everyone at dinner. Sat began with breakfast , then lunch we had burgers, later in the afternoon we all were watching the balloon popping competition, then BBQ that night. The park is a great venue with plenty of hiking.

We had planned to then make a stop in New Orleans for the food and to visit the WWii museum on Monday. On Tue we started back to PA / NJ staying in Spartanburg SC for the night then headed home.

I have flown to Oshkosh and back and forth to Maine to PA many times, but this was the longest my bird has been from her hanger. The 12 is slower but still a great x-country bird. The three of us had very close to the same fuel burn at fill-ups. We unfortunately had some head winds most of the trip both ways - go figure, but still fun. We flew most of the time between 6500 and 7500 on the way back, but we did do one leg at 9500 nice cool air.

7 days of Aviation fun and now back home.
2237 nautical miles
Just under 25 flight hours
13 new airports
5 hotels
Lots of fun with my two buddy’s

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 454
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 400
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Part 2 of the photos

More Petit Jean photos from the flyin, the flight to New Orleans and then returning to PA / NJ.

What a great adventure, already planning next year :D

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 224
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1894_result.jpg
    IMG_1894_result.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1943(1)_result.jpg
    IMG_1943(1)_result.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Enjoyed your trip photos

Thank you for posting your pictures of your epic trip. Really enjoyed seeing them. As an RV6A builder/pilot - is there a particular website that post RV/Vans aircraft flyins etc. Thanks
Kye

Thank you for posting your pictures of your epic trip. Really enjoyed seeing them. As an RV6A builder/pilot - is there a particular website that post RV/Vans aircraft flyins etc. Thanks
Kye

Most of the fly-ins that are RV related are listed on the VAF forum on the bottom of the main page - Doug provides a great source for these events

https://vansairforce.net/community/calendar.php

Most of the info I get is really hanging out with the other RVrs in my area or VAF. If you ever make a trip to the northeast look me up.

I was the one who put on the Lobster fly-in in Maine, but that stopped when I moved back to PA. Since I am back in the Philly area a group of us looking to put on a flying at KPTW and have it as a Philly cheese steak fly-in for all RV pilots that come in.

Stay tune for more info next year.

Last edited:
Back