What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mandatory Items

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Mandatory Items SLSA vs ELSA

Hi Gents,
Asking for some clarification.
My -12 is an ELSA. Other than the Condition Inspection on the airframe, powerplant and prop, is there anything else that is mandatory? For example,
the 200 hour carb inspection, is this legally required as well as other Rotax scheduled items? I spoke with a Rotax shop today and he told me that I had to do the 200 hour carb inspection because I am LSA. I told him that I am ELSA and that I don't think I have to....just wondering if I'm correct.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello Jack,
This reply will be my opinion as I have had similar questions about Rotax service schedules. I’ve read several viewpoints over things like the 5 year rubber replacement and the carb 200 hour inspection/rebuild Rotax publishes.
Required? Well for me I have followed the schedule pretty close but not to the letter as my RV12 is ELSA and as service bulletins from Rotax or Vans are distributed I’m very compliant. For instance I’m approaching 600 hrs. and there is a gearbox service listed for my engine. I’ve consulted with a service facility and of course they recommended getting this done to insure the longevity of my engine but also suggested adding an additional oiling system the newer engines have (extra $300). I’m not sure if this additional system would take me out of the 600 hour scheduled service to the gearbox, but I check before I have this done.
I believe if you talk with any Rotax service facility they will recommend the service and the use of genuine Rotax parts.
The Rotax school I attended at Lockwood advised to always use genuine parts and you won’t have problems. To some degree I believe this but not in all cases.
Anyway this topic could go on and on but I hope you get my take on service decisions.

Don’t forget that if you’re flying anywhere a transponder is required, there’s a 24 month transponder certification.

Hi Gents,
Asking for some clarification.
My -12 is an ELSA. Other than the Condition Inspection on the airframe, powerplant and prop, is there anything else that is mandatory? For example,
the 200 hour carb inspection, is this legally required as well as other Rotax scheduled items? I spoke with a Rotax shop today and he told me that I had to do the 200 hour carb inspection because I am LSA. I told him that I am ELSA and that I don't think I have to....just wondering if I'm correct.

Thanks

You don't have to comply because you are EXPERIMENTAL, however, I highly recommend it. 200 hrs of 100LL and ethanol auto gas beats the heck out of these carbs.

I seem to recall previously covered debates that got into other stuff too like Rotax says we aren't even supposed to work on our engines unless we have taken their approved Rotax mx courses.

Back