What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten/Midwest Panel Builder Grips

BOHICA

Well Known Member
My Tosten Grips that I had Midwest Panel builders laser etch came in. I also had Tosten attach and wire them to their RV-14 control shaft and then send to Midwest Panel Builders to etch. Great support from both sides to achieve. I have deleted the control shafts from Van's from my kit. Now if my QB will ever show up so I have something to attach them to.

Co-Pilot side shown.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

My Tosten Grips that I had Midwest Panel builders laser etch came in. I also had Tosten attach and wire them to their RV-14 control shaft and then send to Midwest Panel Builders to etch. Great support from both sides to achieve. ...

Very nice, Rick! I never considered etching directly on the grip - cool idea!

For general info - not all Tosten grips can be etched in this manner. Tosten will specifically mold these to-be-etched grips with a different type of polymer to allow this. Really makes a nice product.

Just an FYI so you don't try to take your (standard) Tosten grips and wind up melting them under the laser :).

For general info - not all Tosten grips can be etched in this manner. Tosten will specifically mold these to-be-etched grips with a different type of polymer to allow this. Really makes a nice product.

Just an FYI so you don't try to take your (standard) Tosten grips and wind up melting them under the laser :).

That is correct. I had to coordinate between Midwest panel builders and Tosten to get the shaft attached. You can order just the grips from Midwest and attach whatever control shaft you want. I like them better than the sticker on top of the one sold by Van's. I end up at same place but more permanent solution. https://store.vansaircraft.com/pre-wired-control-stick-with-tosten-grip-right-cs-00008t-r.html

My Tosten Grips that I had Midwest Panel builders laser etch came in. I also had Tosten attach and wire them to their RV-14 control shaft and then send to Midwest Panel Builders to etch. Great support from both sides to achieve. I have deleted the control shafts from Van's from my kit. Now if my QB will ever show up so I have something to attach them to.

Co-Pilot side shown.
View attachment 29869 View attachment 29870 View attachment 29871

Is Midwest panel builders doing your whole panel and wiring and if so, what’s their lead time?

I have not asked about RV Panels. They seem to focus on Sling Panels not RV's. But they have a few things that can be used on RV's like their grips and their Intellikey start button. https://youtu.be/mi-mbDHIwgc

I purchased all my avionics from Midwest Panel and plan to have them cut and label the panel. They provided a nice wiring diagram, and have been amazing at answering the phone and returning emails with my stupid questions. They've done several RV panels and other planes. Highly recommended.

Co-Pilot side shown.
View attachment 29869 View attachment 29870 View attachment 29871

You're going to wind up hitting that com swap button on accident a LOT. I was going to use it for a horn but after transition training I realized that was going to be a mistake.

You're going to wind up hitting that com swap button on accident a LOT. I was going to use it for a horn but after transition training I realized that was going to be a mistake.

Luckily it is only a pin removal from disablement.

I learned about the laser labeling of the Tosten grips at Airventure. I’m definitely going to use this feature. Now I learn about intelli key. Cool.

Back