What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Vizion controlled by Dynon HDX

cbailey

I hope I can tap into the the VAF brain trust.

I have a RV8 built in 2002 IFR with all steam gauges. Looking to upgrade to Dynon Skyview HDX and doing the research for what I need.

Currently installed; Avidyne IFD 440 navigator, Garmin 106 CDI, and a TruTrak Vizion 385. All are working perfectly and the TruTrak does everything from Head Bug and Altitude, GPSS and Altitude, and flying RNAV approaches with vertical guidance.

I am looking for help finding out how to wire the TruTrak to the Dynon to do the same things now plus have the Dynon control Head bug, altitude bug, vertical speed, and baro. I found a supplement installation manual from TruTrak but I think it is missing some things.

To me it looks like I need a way to switch the ARINC signal from the IFD and the Dynon. Dynon says I can control everything from the HDX including providing the ARINC signal for RNAV approaches. I am really not sure it will.

Can I do what I am describing? Has anyone done this?

I hate to replace something that is working just fine.

Thank you, Carlton

What you are describing works just fine. Many of the early certified aircraft have installed the Bendix version of the Vizion since the Dynon servo certification was delayed by the FAA.

I have the Vizion in my RV, but I have AFS screens, which hook up just like the HDX. You didn’t mention that you have the SV-Arinc module. You’ll need that to make things work.

My next question is why do you want to use the Vizion head? The support from Bendix is minimal at best. You don’t need the head with the HDX. Replace the Trutrak servos with Dynon servos that connect the SV-network. You also a few features going that route that using the Vizion head. For example, you can’t set the AP to fly an indicated airspeed on your Vizion.

Back