What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QT Halo headset fix

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
The other day I noticed there was no sound from the right side of my Halo headset. I checked the audio system with a neighbors Bose and all was well there. After searching the archives here I discovered that a buildup of gunk in the ear tubes might be the problem. I checked mine out and sure enough there were liquid droplets and gunk in the tube. I started to order new tubes but thought this can be fixed or if I mess them up I'll be getting new ones anyway so why not try. After removing the tubes and earpieces I just took a can of brake parts cleaner and inserted the spray straw into the ear tube and gave it a squirt. The cleaner removed the liquid and gunk and after blowing the ear tube dry with my air gun I reinstalled everything. The end result is I now have a fully functional headset. Cheap and easy fix!!

The baffle in the tube gets clogged with sweat/moisture and eventually no sound passes. The other is the extremely sensitive and poor quality volume pot.

Last edited:
I had this issue and QT replaced the tubes at no charge. He recommended not leaving them in the plane as it can add to condensation in the tubes.

John Morgan

Scott,
I have not had problems with my Volume pot but it may be that they have changed this. The newer set I bought my wife now has a left and right. Where my set from two years ago has only one.
I'll start keeping an eye on the crud in the tubes.

The other day I noticed there was no sound from the right side of my Halo headset. I checked the audio system with a neighbors Bose and all was well there. After searching the archives here I discovered that a buildup of gunk in the ear tubes might be the problem. I checked mine out and sure enough there were liquid droplets and gunk in the tube. I started to order new tubes but thought this can be fixed or if I mess them up I'll be getting new ones anyway so why not try. After removing the tubes and earpieces I just took a can of brake parts cleaner and inserted the spray straw into the ear tube and gave it a squirt. The cleaner removed the liquid and gunk and after blowing the ear tube dry with my air gun I reinstalled everything. The end result is I now have a fully functional headset. Cheap and easy fix!!

I just had the same problem with mine last night after 10 years of use. I used 25psi of compressed air to blow out the offending tube (no brake cleaner needed) and am all good to go again. It's interesting how just a bit of air and/or ear gunk can completely block the sound. FWIW, QT's website now has a troubleshooting page that indicates drying out the tubes and/or cutting out the dampener (which only exists to make music sound better apparently) is the recommended solution to this known issue.

While I know there is a competitor to the QT now who has improved upon the design a bit, I'm glad I found an easy solution to my issue as I really like supporting the company that came up with the design idea in the first place. I'm guessing I should get another 10 years out of the headset pretty easily.

Hope resurrecting/updating this old thread helps the next person.

Last edited:
Static problem?

I've emailed QT for advise, but their 'sales' email just kicks back as 'undeliverable'....I tried the personal one at the bottom of their webpage...waiting for a reply. Nothing on their site troubleshooting this issue.

I have only used mine a few hours last year.( bought used... here... many years ago) and they seemed ok regarding mic and ear speaker performance. This year, lots of static upon keying the mic ( VOX) making them nearly unusable!
My other headsets seem to work ok using the same jacks,

Halo tubes are clean, mic...well, not sure what to even look for there?

I hadn't thought of the pot, mine has just the single volume and M-S switch on the box, so a good cleaning wouldn't hurt I'm sure.
....any other ideas from our electronics experts? I'm all ears! :D

Back