What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Prop selection

jpkindred

I'm New Here
I am trying to make a prop selection for my RV -10 and need some feedback on the props available. I am looking at the MTV- 12B/ 193-53 or Hartzell C3Y1R-1N/N7605C. My important issues are weight, maintenance, reliability issues and performance. Vans has told me that the composite Hartzell weighs 74 pounds, which is 50 % more than the MT hybrid prop. Not sure I buy that.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

I'm sure 10 owners will chime in accordingly but keep CG in mind, a lighter prop isn't always better when considering CG and your mission.

Anyone with a 3-blade, did you have to modify the engine cowl for clearance?

On the 14A, would be almost impossible to get the bottom cowling off without scratching the paint with 3 blades, if it could come off at all.

Prop

The MT is awesome. Be aware that the MTV-12 is rated for 300hp maximum; if you are using an engine with higher compression and CAI, you are probably closer to 300 than the stock 260. MT in that case, recommends the MTV-9, which is rated for higher Hp.

I have the MT-9 and love it…and yes the Hartzell is significantly heavier. The MTV-9 is about 10 lbs more than the MTV-12.

On the 14A, would be almost impossible to get the bottom cowling off without scratching the paint with 3 blades, if it could come off at all.

I have the 2-blade, but if memory serves, the guys that go the 3-blade route modify the lower cowl with a removable section, or something similar to facilitate removal of the cowl.

As to the OP's question on weight, I believe someone transposed the numbers as I think the Hartzell composite prop weighs around 47 lbs.

As already mentioned, anything lighter than the stock 2 blade, you’ll want to compensate to keep the cg from moving aft. Maybe move the battery forward?

I have the Hartzell 3 blade and split the (showplanes) cowl.
Now that the aircraft is in service and I’ve R&R the cowl many times, I actually find that I can get the lower cowl on and off solo without splitting it if I am careful

So it’s probably not “absolutely” necessary but as mentioned it’s not super hard to do and gives you options.

I extended the slot and added a removable plate. I felt it was the simplest way to do it. I’m still able to remove the lower cowl by myself with the help of a stool and roller seat.

I’m getting about 165-170 knots true, 13 gallons and hour (ROP), and it feels very smooth. In all honesty, the biggest reason for me is that it just looks cool. Kind of an expensive reasoning but the wife approved. :)

Attachments

• 1F096BDF-DFBD-4037-8135-5557D3E327C7.jpeg
    1F096BDF-DFBD-4037-8135-5557D3E327C7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • C9591A1D-271B-4B73-8C2B-FE6BC67C3C1A.jpeg
    C9591A1D-271B-4B73-8C2B-FE6BC67C3C1A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
The MT is awesome. Be aware that the MTV-12 is rated for 300hp maximum; if you are using an engine with higher compression and CAI, you are probably closer to 300 than the stock 260. MT in that case, recommends the MTV-9, which is rated for higher Hp.

I have the MT-9 and love it…and yes the Hartzell is significantly heavier. The MTV-9 is about 10 lbs more than the MTV-12.
Bob,

Have you noticed any "cracks" in the unit? I saw several posts inidcating there were crack-like lines, but not really a factor.

For clarity, the HC-C3Y1R-1NX/N7605CX weighs ~58 lbf. This uses the lightweight hub variant (denoted by the 1 in C3Y1R), the standard variant is ~4 lbf heavier.

The 3C1-R430A1X/76C(S)04X weighs ~42-50 lbf, depending on how the blades are configured.

I have the MT composite 3 blade. Only mod is I had to do was to split the lower cowl. No other way to get the lower cowl off with a 3 blade. I can take one half off, change the oil, check things, etc wo taking both halves off. I like the split lower cowl.

I second this. I have a WW 330-3B/78G-78. Weighs 55 pounds with spinner. Beautiful craftsmanship as well.

I really wanted to be able to consider the WW 300 props, but since the engine I am using produces more power than a stock IO-540, Whirlwind cautioned me away from it.

That might be true for the 300 prop, but I worked with their engineers on the 330 series that has some elements designed around my engine as tested. They developed the 330 series specifically for engines over 300Hp, up to 350 Hp.

How much power is your engine producing?

Last edited:
That might be true for the 300 prop, but I worked with their engineers on the 330 series that has some elements designed around my engine as tested. They developed the 330 series specifically for engines over 300Hp, up to 400 Hp.

How much power is your engine producing?

I bought my engine second-hand from a member here and have not installed it yet. That said, it came with documentation of a dyno run that showed it developing a little over 280 hp at 2700 rpm when corrected to sea level conditions.

I should say that I was talking to them about the 330 series, I thought at the time. If they have increased the capabilities of that line, I'd love to know.

Last edited:
FYI, the 2-bladed metal Hartzell that Vans recommends is also 55 lbs, a little faster, and a whole lot cheaper.

3 bladed prop

I remove top and bottom cowling every 25 hrs without any issues and never put a scratch in Evoke’s beautiful paint. WW 3 bladed prop. Takes 5 minutes, 8 minutes to put back on. Bottom cowling not split. So far the 10 is working out the same. Very smooth. Just another data point but really like and recommend my WW.

Maintenance and repair costs

Can anyone share relative convenience and cost of maintenance between Hartzell, MT and Whirlwind?

Last edited:
Back