What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel and Oil Pressure Sensors

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The power wires from the fuel and oil pressure sensors can be combined on the same pin on the Dynon EMS. The same is true for the ground wires. Instead of running four wires to the EMS, why can't I just splice the power wires together and the ground wires together at the sensor, then run one red and one black wire to the EMS?

If this is acceptable practice, what is the recognized method to splice the wires at the pressure sensors? Solder crimps? Just use butt splices with shrink tube over it?

Fuel and Oil Press Sensors.jpg

Where to ground a sensor depends on it´s construction.
There are sensors that grounds to the engine and there are sensors that grounds at the instrument. Not the same type.
You need to have a good knowledge and a good reason not to follow the
manufacturers diagram. After ten years when a sensor goes bad, you can
use the standard diagram.
I have used butt splices.

Good luck

The power wires from the fuel and oil pressure sensors can be combined on the same pin on the Dynon EMS. The same is true for the ground wires. Instead of running four wires to the EMS, why can't I just splice the power wires together and the ground wires together at the sensor, then run one red and one black wire to the EMS?

If this is acceptable practice, what is the recognized method to splice the wires at the pressure sensors? Solder crimps? Just use butt splices with shrink tube over it?

View attachment 37826

It looks like extatically what Dynon shows....
dynon.JPG

No need in running that extra wire if not needed.....:D

I did this, only I just bought new pins or connectors (I forget which) and daisy-chained the power and ground for FP and OP. Works fine.

Any idea why the wires out of the pressure senders are 18AWG when they only carry 300mA?

Probably because they just bought a stock/standard part for the connectors.

I replaced the connectors and used the existing signal wires and power wires, and ran a new ground wire (as noted, power and ground daisy-chained) using smaller gauge wire. (Replaced cruddy VDOs with the replacement Kavlico transducers). I think the connector, IIRC, is just a Deutsch connector or similar. I can check my records and find out.

Back