What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RIVET Question

rjm727

Well Known Member
I was squeezing rivets this morning and getting extremely frustrated because, while riveting the same parts, some were over-squeezing without an apparent reason. I drilled out, re-adjusted squeezer, and then the same rivet hole would under-squeeze. I measured rivet lengths, rivet diameters, looked at primer/powder coating thicknesses…everything seemed ok. Started thinking there was something wrong with my squeezer. THEN I noticed, the rivets LOOKED different. Closer inspection revealed some of the rivets did not have the AN dimple! Some have a stamping that reads 01DC?! I’m thinking must be different alloy? Please advise…

033580F4-B15F-4DD5-9D31-B55B02A29852.jpeg

I was squeezing rivets this morning and getting extremely frustrated because, while riveting the same parts, some were over-squeezing without an apparent reason. I drilled out, re-adjusted squeezer, and then the same rivet hole would under-squeeze. I measured rivet lengths, rivet diameters, looked at primer/powder coating thicknesses…everything seemed ok. Started thinking there was something wrong with my squeezer. THEN I noticed, the rivets LOOKED different. Closer inspection revealed some of the rivets did not have the AN dimple! Some have a stamping that reads 01DC?! I’m thinking must be different alloy? Please advise…

View attachment 29459

No marking generally indicates a soft rivet, 1100 or 3003. Definitely not an AD rivet...

No marking generally indicates a soft rivet, 1100 or 3003. Definitely not an AD rivet...

That is what I just read in the Standard Aircraft Handbook…yikes…no idea where those rivers came. We have separated all of the 470 4-4 but now have to go through all of them. I had some rivets from a previous builder, some rivets from Vans, and some I ordered from Aircraft Spruce. Going to have to drill out…wow…

Rivets

That is what I just read in the Standard Aircraft Handbook…yikes…no idea where those rivers came. We have separated all of the 470 4-4 but now have to go through all of them. I had some rivets from a previous builder, some rivets from Vans, and some I ordered from Aircraft Spruce. Going to have to drill out…wow…

Some builders use soft rivets to hold nutplates. Easier to set. Not 470 though. That's very odd. It sounds like you caught it early.

Some builders use soft rivets to hold nutplates. Easier to set. Not 470 though. That's very odd. It sounds like you caught it early.

I did catch it early, but wish I had caught it a little earlier. The only other place I see they were used was attaching the doubler to the rear spare of the HS. Going to consult with Vans tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!

Always verify you are using the correct rivets in the correct places. If you believe or discover you have received the wrong rivets, always contact us. You can verify by emailing [email protected].

Make sure you look through your inventory and are aware of what rivets are included and used, and where.

Back