What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit - how to protect surfaces

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm getting ready to start work on the fuselage in the next few weeks. I am super close to running out of my current primer (Stewart EkoPrime - has worked great), so need to order something for the rest of the build. EkoPrime is great, and would be completely fine on anything that's not going to be abused, but on its own I don't think it's a good choice for cockpit surfaces that will be handled a lot.

A few options:
- buy more EkoPrime and use it on everything, but also buy paint to top all cockpit surfaces for durability
- buy a 2 part epoxy primer to finish the build and leave that as the only surface in the cockpit, assuming that would be durable enough (?)

I don't really know which surfaces to worry about. My plan is to have, at a minimum, side panels and front cockpit carpet.

Primer

<snip>...

A few options:
<snip>
- buy a 2 part epoxy primer to finish the build and leave that as the only surface in the cockpit, assuming that would be durable enough (?)
<snip>

That's what I wish I did. Save weight. I used SW P60G2 and Jet Flex. It's tough but nothing like EnduroPrime. I am not installing carpets or side panels so I wanted parts to look good.
Spray a tough epoxy primer as an interior paint. Kirker Enduro Prime. Available in white, gray and black. Spray as is or mix any neutral shade. I sprayed the wheels on my 4x4 to see how it survives. Two years of Colorado road salt and intense sun. They still look just like the day I painted them. It's my go to primer. Also use Kirker Ultra Glo single stage paint.

Another option

Another option; what I did:
- Painted all of the cabin areas with 2-pack polyurethane satin finish. The reason for using polyurethane is that it is tough wearing and resistant to fluids and solvents.
- Primed with a solvent based etch primer.
- The floor panels and skins were painted before riveting them in.
- The internal sides were painted before installing the fwd top skin and panel/sub-panel structure while access was still reasonable.
- I used a temporary paint booth "tent" with an extractor fan and duct.
- I used a face mask with fresh air supply.

The biggest challenge was being able to see the internal surfaces clearly for how much paint to apply, since it was difficult to see reflections.

There will be padded arm rests/elbow panels sides and floor mats but the rest will be left without upholstery.

Attachments

• 20220507_104004.jpg
    20220507_104004.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220702_164318.jpg
    20220702_164318.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 100
I used Stewart EkoPoxy for the interior, which has held up pretty well. I'm not flying but the interior parts are in. The seat bottom, back and baggage floor are all white and stacked on a shelf now. They've taken quite a bit of abuse without marring.
Dave
RV-3B, working on the cowl now.

Back