What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip measuring micro

wirejock

Well Known Member
We all use Micro Balloons mixed in epoxy as a filler. It works great, but what happens if you need another batch? The different batches are slightly different densities and sand at different rates. It can cause irregularities in the surface. My Mentor, Dave Paule gave me this idea.
Micro Balloons are light. It's too light to weigh accurately. However, it is basically a liquid. It's very viscous. Measure it by volume.
Use a huge syringe to measure the micro balloons. It pours out really fast. If it won't flow, just pour it. No need for the plunger.
I cut the tip off the syringe at the widest point. Hold a finger over it. Pour in micro. Release the finger and it flows out like water. Turn it upside down to dump the residual in the bottom or you'll have a mess. Just keep track of the measurements and every batch will be very similar in density.
20220121_131238.jpg

Coffee can and a small measuring cup. Pretty easy to settle on how many cups per 100 grams of resin, or whatever recipe you like.

Pouring micro tends to put too much of it in the air.

Delete

Coffee can and a small measuring cup. Pretty easy to settle on how many cups per 100 grams of resin, or whatever recipe you like.

Pouring micro tends to put too much of it in the air.

Maybe the Moderators should delete this thread. I don't want anyone, including mysef, to incur liability.

We can leave the thread up... but if anyone has a few tips for eliminating the micro or Cab-O-Sil floating around in the air, I'd be interested.

Perhaps one could leave the nozzle of the shop vac near the operation to suck the errant particles up.

Dave

IDK about you guys but I just always wear a mask when I use the stuff. I think just about anything will put the micro in the air.

Cloud

We can leave the thread up... but if anyone has a few tips for eliminating the micro or Cab-O-Sil floating around in the air, I'd be interested.

Perhaps one could leave the nozzle of the shop vac near the operation to suck the errant particles up.

Dave

That's my concern. The particles from mixing are nothing compared to the cloud from sanding. Yes, I wear a respirator and today I used a vacuum attached to the sander.
Particles don't magically dissappear. Even if you don't see the cloud, they are still airborne. Turn off the lights and shine a flash light.
I'm going to try running my bildge blower to pull air out of the shop. Maybe some of the particulates will go out.
I wonder if a big air cleaner would help? Probably have to clean it a lot.

Back