What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Fiberglass Parts?

Duhg

Well Known Member
Is there any concerns or issues with using older fiberglass parts? I'm considering an untouched cowl that has been sitting on a shelf since 2007.

I think it should be fine to use if it has been stored inside, mine is from 2001 and I will be using it. There's plenty of older airplanes flying around with fibre glass parts from the 90's.

I think it should be fine to use if it has been stored inside, mine is from 2001 and I will be using it. There's plenty of older airplanes flying around with fibre glass parts from the 90's.

I figured it would be fine finished but didn't know if it's more difficult to work with over time. Been able to avoid the fiberglass work so far, but not much longer.

I would be more aggressive with the prep sanding in order to get a good bond if bonding to the old part.

A new cowl will set you back around $1500 or more plus shipping, I would use what you have! Composite components don't really degrade unless exposed to UV for a while without any cover layer.

One caveat...the older polyester/glass cowls were not nearly as good as later epoxy/glass with honeycomb and foam core. I see your signature says RV8, so not a factor for you....it's an epoxy cowl.

Really, I'd rather have that 2007 vintage cowl, plain green, no gel coat.

Last edited:
One caveat...the older polyester/glass cowls were not nearly as good as later epoxy/glass with honeycomb and foam core. I see your signature says RV8, so not a factor for you....it's an epoxy cowl.

Really, I'd rather have that 2007 vintage cowl, plain green, no gel coat.

Yes, I should have clarified RV-8. Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

Back