What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Kit Reporting Log thread

Received notification for payment for the following kit # 140892:
Propellor: 10/17
QB Wings: 10/28
Finishing Kit: 11/2
QB Fuselage: TBD (EST Crating Date Sep 28, 2022-Jun 4, 2023)

Ordered QB's back in May of '21.

Only thing I have received is the prop. But maybe I will have something soon to start building again.

Got notice of change in kit schedule.
QB fuse bumped up a few months to Apr 1 2023 - Aug 12 2023.
Problem is, I dont remember the exact dates before. :eek:
Good news nontheless.

Ordered all in 10/21.

Lead Times Improved

I noticed on the website that the finish kit lead time (the only one I haven't ordered) has been reduced from 14 months to this Spring! That's a major improvement!!

Finish kit ordered and paid for in July 2021. 16 months later, still no word on exact crating date. Good luck getting anything in the Spring....

Kit Type:RV-14

Serial #: 141241

Date- Order Acknowledgement: Late Feb for all kits

RV-14 FINISH KIT EXP119 Dec 16 2022 - Jan 13 2023
RV-14 FUSELAGE KIT Parts Being Produced Mar 16 2023 - Apr 13 2023
RV-14 WING KIT DELIVERED Sept 28 2022
RV-14 EMP/CONE KIT Assigned to Crating Oct 20 2022 - Dec 20 2022

Propeller
Delivery Date: ~Nov 01 2022

Engine
Delivery Date:

Builds #141140
Ordered emp; QB wing & QB fuse 10/1/2021.
Initial projected delivery emp jan 2022; QB July 22

Emp delivered July 2022 and current estimates for QB fuse July 2023; QB wings sept 2023

Update yesterday that fuse parts shipping overseas. No change in ETA.

Anyone with experience of time to ship, build and return.

With emp - was notified crating and needed full payment. I paid and then notice that crating delayed for >2 mos. Bitchy response when asked how could be in crating and need $$, then suddenly it’s not but you cashed the check. Oh well… the emp looks amazing (completed 10/22)

Empennage 'shipped'. Says some items on backorder. Will order wings soon, says August 23 which should work out, providing 8 months to complete the empennage.

Things are finally start move. After ordering QB's in May '21 and finishing kit in Sept of '21 will finally have everything to get my build going again this spring. Been waiting with a finished empennage for most of this year.

Status.png

RV-14A

Empennage kit ordered 4/14/2022
Assigned Serial Number 141276
Received shipping notice 12/6/2022

QB Wings ordered 5/4/2022
Estimated crating window July to October 2023

Fuselage Kit ordered 10/13/2022
Estimated crating window April 2023.

It’s all about to get real.

Picked up finish kit last Friday at Vans.
Backordered items = exhaust, wheels/brakes, gear legs.

S/N 141163
Ordered 10/21.

Dont have QB fuse or wings until mid-2023, but figured I should take the finish kit regardless.

BTW, looking around the receiving/stock area of the Vans shop while waiting for pick up, looks like a LOT of volume going thru. And they have three auxiliary tents out on the ramp with parts stock and ready crates. Impressive operation.

with or without b.o. parts?

#141208 received nov 4 with too much b.o. part to start building

These appear to be the back ordered parts: (based on my assumption that a “-“ after the quantity denotes a B.O. part)

BAG 1902
F-01411D
F-01412C
F-14113
E-912
R-909
R-911

I got a shipping notification for my EMP this morning!

I edited this post as my original comment was based on an incorrect assumption. I had tried to figure out how many kits a day Vans was shipping by looking at tail kit serial numbers and ship dates. I confirmed this morning that Vans does not strictly adhere to serial order number for tail kits, so the assumptions I had made were in error.

Or as my wife loves me to say it…. “I was wrong”

Last edited:
Kit Type: RV14A - Empennage

Serial #: 141288

Date- Order Acknowledgement: 5/20/2022

Actual Crating Date: Early December

Delivery Date:January 17

Comments:
Ready to ship was Dec 14 - handful of parts on backorder
Actual ship date / pickup was Jan 6 - delay was my fault, not Van's
Arrived at destination hub Jan 7th. (yes - one day travel time - Northern California)
Crate then sat at destination hub due to freight company trying to call an incorrect number until Jan 14. Delivered on Jan 17.
Zero issues with crate found so far.

141074. Ordered completed QB kit on 9/21. Empennage and FWF delivered. Fuselage, wings, and finish kit all scheduled to crate between 3/6-7/4/23.

Bad news from our house. Vans just expanded our QB Fuse crating window.

From

Mid March to late April

To

Early March to early July

So not necessarily a delay, but potentially a big delay and certainly less precision on the delivery window. Honestly disappointed considering we are getting close to this window. We're pretty much blocked by this delivery.

Bad news from our house. Vans just expanded our QB Fuse crating window.

From

Mid March to late April

To

Early March to early July

So not necessarily a delay, but potentially a big delay and certainly less precision on the delivery window. Honestly disappointed considering we are getting close to this window. We're pretty much blocked by this delivery.

We understand that it's not optimal to get a longer window. We update the timeframes when we know something affects the timeline to get everything. In the case of QB's we are still seeing shipping container delays and other related long-run production issues. We're doing everything we can to keep things as tight as possible, despite a number of delays that can occur outside of our control and we do our best to update timelines to reflect reality, of course, to keep you informed.

The good news is, overall kit timelines are improving - albeit slower than we would like in some cases. Lead times for most kits have come down and we are delivering close to the established schedule. There are still some issues: Predictability around getting a number of third-party parts for finish kits is still an issue, which we have been working closely with our various vendors and suppliers on (and the situation's improving overall). And at times we have materials supply issues, which we have worked to mitigate wherever possible.

These words don't alter reality, of course. But hopefully they provide a little context. :)

We understand that it's not optimal to get a longer window. We update the timeframes when we know something affects the timeline to get everything. In the case of QB's we are still seeing shipping container delays and other related long-run production issues. We're doing everything we can to keep things as tight as possible, despite a number of delays that can occur outside of our control and we do our best to update timelines to reflect reality, of course, to keep you informed.

The good news is, overall kit timelines are improving - albeit slower than we would like in some cases. Lead times for most kits have come down and we are delivering close to the established schedule. There are still some issues: Predictability around getting a number of third-party parts for finish kits is still an issue, which we have been working closely with our various vendors and suppliers on (and the situation's improving overall). And at times we have materials supply issues, which we have worked to mitigate wherever possible.

These words don't alter reality, of course. But hopefully they provide a little context. :)

Thanks a lot for that context, Greg, it does help. Hoping for the best!

-G

Greg,

Any light you can shed on backordered parts?
I am sure that this is a BIG question since Vans may well have back ordered parts on 4 different kits across 5 or 6 different aircraft… But anything you can share?

Thanks!!
Tim

Just adding another request for info regarding backordered parts.

The Kit Status portal has been great but there is no information regarding back orders unless I query the head shed directly. I have backordered parts from my Firewall FWD kit and QB Wing kit.

Ordered my QB Fuselage May '21 finally see it is "In Warehouse Pending Inspection." Got my wings last month that I ordered at same time.

Estimated crating window starts today for me but no word from Vans and kit status page has not updated since Feb 13. Paid if full first of the month.

Estimated crating window starts today for me but no word from Vans and kit status page has not updated since Feb 13. Paid if full first of the month.

My QB Fuse was assigned to crating over a month ago and is now past the crating window (Feb10-24). When I picked up my wings at the mothership, they said they had the Fuse. So, it's there I suspect they are just really backed up in crating.

Just got notification that my Finishing kit is ready at Will Call. Ordered 9/14/21. Now if I can get notification of the Fuselage.

Of course, the other problem I have is I'm laid off looking for a job so I can't afford ship or pickup either. Just having a friend take them up to Hillsboro Oregon where they can sit until I am employed again.

Finishing kit on way

Like many who ordered their finishing kit in 11/2021, mine has shipped and will be here next week. I was prepared for higher freight costs but astounded that it's 3-4X higher than what we were paying for freight as late as 2020. I get inflation, driver shortage, etc.... but $1300 to NJ, ooofff. Van's has done an amazing job keeping kit prices in line and trying to ensure they get us the best freight deals, but between the engine pricing and freight, it's daunting for any new builder just starting out. I feel like I'm just lucky to be nearing the end.

For new builders who are staging out their build across 4-5 years, you can't plan for "today's" prices unfortunately. As each year passes, I would easily add 10-15% to remaining kits/engine/avionics, etc to have a more conservative estimate.

QB Fuselage order May 18th, 2021 (5/18/2021).

March 14th, 2023 (3/14/23), I received notification that it is ready at will call. So almost twenty-two months for my QB kit. My finishing kit is also ready for pickup.

Builder #: 140892

QB wings ordered 09/21/21. Crating window Mar 31 2023 - Apr 14 2023
  • 3/15/23 Received Enroute to Van's from Assembly Facility email
  • 3/16/23 Received balance payment request (paid half of remaining balance)
  • 3/17/23 Received In Warehouse Pending Inspection + payment in full request
  • 3/20/23 Paying the remainder
Happy to get them coming! Now I gotta build a wing cradle...

Slow build fuse ordered 9/19/22, being picked up by Old Dominion at Vans on 3/27/23. My kit status portal had been showing a crating date range of 3/30/23 to late April 23. There are 7 items on back order including the step attach weldments, canopy cradle, and nose gear and lower engine mount brackets. That was the guesstimate wait time by Vans when I cancelled my QB fuse order and switched to the slow build kit. I’d still be waiting another 9 to 12 months if I kept the original QB fuse order. I’m happy.

I ordered my fuselage kit in late October of 2022. A that time Vans was projecting crating dates in April of 2023.

Got word today that is is shipping.
All good… 3 days early.

QB wing & fuse ordered end of July 2021.

I picked up my QB wings yesterday, April 6, 2023. A few items backordered.

QB fuselage estimated crating early May.

Finish kit ordered Feb 2022 is "assigned to crating".

Lemke seat & interior ordered April 2022. Received March 2023.

Just got notice that QB fuse bumped back 3 months from Apr-June 2023 to Jul-Oct 23. Now same as QB wings.

QB Wing and fuse ordered Oct 21.

Like others, I received an emailed updating me on the status of my order.
1. QB wings have been assigned to crating this month.
2. Finishing kit, June/July.
3. QB fuselage, pushed back to July/August.

Just got the call from Stewart with my QB Wings. They said they are planning to pick them up on Friday and hold in Arizona. $1600 to Central Texas. Delivery expected around the end of the month (I needed to push to then anyway so that worked out).

First kit is ready!

Ordered SB Fuselage on 11/29/22.

Estimated crating window was 3/30/23-4/27/23

Email received on 4/10/23 - ready for will call minus a handful of items on B/O.

Yay!

SN: 141307
EMP Kit ordered 07/23 arrived 12/30

Backordered parts:
Bag 9002
F-01414
F-01411D
F-01412C
F-14113
R-909
R-911

Wing kit delivered Yesterday, Ordered 10-Aug-23, a couple of back ordered parts.

I am also still waiting on Bag 9002 from my Epm kit that was delivered 30-Dec-22

Wing kit delivered Yesterday, Ordered 10-Aug-23, a couple of back ordered parts.

I am also still waiting on Bag 9002 from my Epm kit that was delivered 30-Dec-22

If you mean bag 1902 (I don't see 9002 on my emp kit packing list), I was also shipped my emp kit with that back ordered (kit delivered in October-22). I ended up calling and told them I was waiting on some of those parts. They were really only short one part in that bag (MD3614M) and they sent me the rest of the parts. Otherwise there is a vertical stabilizer part and nutplates for the rudder in that bag. Makes it tough to make progress. Anyway, right now I'm just waiting for the one rod end bearing and I was told it just came in and I should get it shipped out soon.

Last edited:
Yes, its 1902, not sure where I got 9002 from. Since I'm building in Canada, I cant close up the control surfaces until I have a pre-close inspection, its not a huge hold up for me yet, but would be nice to get them in place.

Either way, I have a lot of work to do on the Wings now, just starting my inventory.

Back