What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron/control stick movement

ctennis

Well Known Member
I had my final airworthiness inspection this past week, and one discrepancy my DAR noted was that the control stick wasn't able to make full aileron movement when a pilot is sitting in the left seat as it basically hits their knees (in my case, particularly when going to the right).

I got in the plane and verified and indeed, I'm not able to get full right deflection as my leg/knee is in the way. We did some angle measurements of the aileron up and down action, and it seems like it isn't getting to the minimum travel required due to this. Of course, it travels just fine and goes to the stops if I'm not actually sitting in the seat. The amount of total travel is smaller the further back the stick is, as it starts hitting into your thigh.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is to re-rig so the stick is biased slightly left of vertical, but I'm pretty confident in how it's currently rigged at full vertical per plans. I also think doing that would just cause it to impede more along the left leg of someone sitting in the co-pilot seat, and just run into the same problem in reverse.

I'm guessing this isn't a unique problem to me and maybe not an issue in practice, but was curious how others viewed this or have dealt with it. Since he noted it as an issue in his notes, he asked me to document how I am meeting the min travel requirements to resolve the discrepancy.

I had my final airworthiness inspection this past week, and one discrepancy my DAR noted was that the control stick wasn't able to make full aileron movement when a pilot is sitting in the left seat as it basically hits their knees (in my case, particularly when going to the right).

I got in the plane and verified and indeed, I'm not able to get full right deflection as my leg/knee is in the way. We did some angle measurements of the aileron up and down action, and it seems like it isn't getting to the minimum travel required due to this. Of course, it travels just fine and goes to the stops if I'm not actually sitting in the seat. The amount of total travel is smaller the further back the stick is, as it starts hitting into your thigh.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is to re-rig so the stick is biased slightly left of vertical, but I'm pretty confident in how it's currently rigged at full vertical per plans. I also think doing that would just cause it to impede more along the left leg of someone sitting in the co-pilot seat, and just run into the same problem in reverse.

I'm guessing this isn't a unique problem to me and maybe not an issue in practice, but was curious how others viewed this or have dealt with it. Since he noted it as an issue in his notes, he asked me to document how I am meeting the min travel requirements to resolve the discrepancy.

It is possible that your stops are allowing more travel than required. I would ensure that full right stick against your thigh delivers the minimum deflection angle called out in the plans. If that is the case, you're good to go. Have you used the jigs to ensure that the bell crank is adjusted correctly? This is an important step for setting up aileron symmetry.

Did you install aftermarket products in the center tunnel area? Read “Mod’s and Improvements for a completed airplane” post #23.

...and

There is no possible way to get to the aileron stops while seated unless you are like 5’10” and 150 lbs...even then, as the stick moves aft there is even less of a chance...

Did you install aftermarket products in the center tunnel area? Read “Mod’s and Improvements for a completed airplane” post #23.

I did, and I saw that very post, but I sat there and don't see how if the center console stuff wasn't there it would change anything. Granted, without it, I could slide my leg up onto the tunnel, but it wouldn't be able to touch on the rudder pedal at that point.

There is no possible way to get to the aileron stops while seated unless you are like 5’10” and 150 lbs...even then, as the stick moves aft there is even less of a chance...

That's kind of what I was thinking too - I just don't see it physically possible (center console or not), and maybe it's not even intended - but now I have this "thing" looming over my head I need to at least be able to explain.

I agree with Bob - no way when seated you get move from stop to stop. I think the requirement is that the stick cannot have interference with anything in the cockpit when you’re not seated in there. The only way I can do it with me in the plane is to lift my legs. Reality is that you’ll never need that much travel.

Back