What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendations for left handed wire strippers

humptybump

Well Known Member
Stop laughing. OK. Now that you're over the giggling, I hope you can add to this thread.

I'm looking for recommendations for wire strippers. They need to work down to at least 28 gauge wire. They also need to work well from the left hand.

If you're familiar with the Stripmaster design - I have two pair I use daily - then you will notice the blades and their markings are easy to see and align with the wire when using your right hand. When using the left hand, you either need to torque the wrist or you can't see the individual cutting spots.

Found an interesting design and ordered it. It comes in several wire gauge ranges. I chose the 18-28 gauge. It feel really cheap but it works well on my initial tests. It's also small and light weight.

71sUWFnlEGL._SX522_.jpg

You dial the wire gauge on the white ring on the end. You slide the center black slider to the cut length. There is a hole in the center of the white ring. Insert the wire, gently squeeze the body of the cutter to engage the blades (2 "V" cutters), and pull on the wire.

I DO know which ones to NEVER EVER get. The yellow and blue ones the guy sells at Oshkosh. Don’t know what stripper the guy demonstrating the stripper is using but the one you get in the box works like **** on ALL wire sizes. I have talked to dozens of people that bought a pair and all say the one in the box does not work like the one the guy demonstrating.

I have used a Stripmaster for years. I am both left and right handed in my tool use and have never noticed I prefers one way or the other.

I DO know which ones to NEVER EVER get. The yellow and blue ones the guy sells at Oshkosh. Don?t know what stripper the guy demonstrating the stripper is using but the one you get in the box works like **** on ALL wire sizes. I have talked to dozens of people that bought a pair and all say the one in the box does not work like the one the guy demonstrating.

I have used a Stripmaster for years. I am both left and right handed in my tool use and have never noticed I prefers one way or the other.

Amen to that! I bought a set at OSH, tried it over a period of a month on several different wires, and the internal mechanism that is supposed to pull the wire just did not hold. I literally threw in the garbage without having so much as 1 wire stripped correctly.

A couple of years ago I asked the wire stripper salesman at OSH if his tool
works on Tefzel. He said, "OH no, it will not work work with Tefzel."
Evidently his wire insulation is a soft material, perhaps PVC, that strips easily.

Take a look at AC43.13, specifically at the workmanship standards around wires. In reading this wonderful tome we'll find the acceptable amount of nicked or damaged strands for our most common wire size, 22ga, is... ZERO.

There are several strippers referenced here, particularly the ones immediately above, which will not strip Tefzel wire without nicking a strand or peeling a sliver off a strand or removing a complete strand. Definitely NOT acceptable for aircraft use.

Yes, I know, I'm Debbie Downer... Sometimes we have to pay a little extra to get aircraft quality. Hmmm... maybe that's why not many of us fly behind a Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh engine! :)

A couple of years ago I asked the wire stripper salesman at OSH if his tool
works on Tefzel. He said, "OH no, it will not work work with Tefzel."
Evidently his wire insulation is a soft material, perhaps PVC, that strips easily.

Yeah, at least he’s honest about that when you ask him. I didn’t buy a pair because I was using Tefzel insulated wire. If you’re using cheap vinyl insulated hookup wire, they probably work.

Back