What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PRP-26A Rivet puller won't grip rivets

JimMac

I bought a new PRP-26A rivet puller for my RV-12 project and after pulling less than 30 rivets it will no longer grip the rivets. I took it apart once and cleaned and brushed the gripping jaw and it worked for a few more rivets, but then started slipping again. Does anyone know a remedy for this? It seems like a $65 rivet tool should work for more than 50 rivets.
Thanks,
Jim

Might need internal adjustment

I had trouble with mine until I realized I needed to adjust it:

http://www.avraero.com/blog/?p=203

You might see if a similar adjustment is needed for yours.

edit: I see now that the PRP-26A is a manual puller, so there may be no such adjustment.

Alex

Last edited:
Do exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. Oil it with a light machine oil.
Should take care of the problem.

Steve
RV-12 120255

Jim,

I had the same problem. Took it apart and cleaned it like you did. I looked for parts and could not find them. Then I did something that made it work for the rest of the project. It was about a year ago and i don't rememeber for sure, but I think I lubed the angle on the back side of the grip. I remember thinking that what I did was not completely logical, but it worked. I may have just sprayed the mechanism with WD-40.

I'm sorry my pea brain does not remember these things. I hesitate to post such a lame answer, but we are among friends.

Luck with your project.

Thanks Little Joe,
I'll put some oil or grease on that angled part and try it again. When I assembled it I did dry everything off thoroughly because I didn't think it should have any oil on the jaw that grips the rivet stem. But after reading your comment, it does make sense that the part of the jaw that slides on that inclined part might need some lubrication.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Yes, it's completely counter-intuitive but oiling is more important than cleaning it. I had a similar problem after a few hundred rivets. After applying Break-Free, the puller worked fine ever since.

Oiling Works!!

Wow... What a time saver this post was for me. I had the exact same problem (except I've been using my PRP-26A for several years). Added a little 3-in-1 oil and BAM! Success. Thanks all for this thread!

Mike

Back