What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin SL40/intercom trubleshooting

mdoyle

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a legacy RV12 with the Dynon D180 and a Garmin SL40. I flew today and realized the Radio will neither transmit nor receive but it powers up. The intercom worked fine I could hear myself talk. I switched to bypass and there was no difference. I tried the passenger side headset, but still nothing. The radio does not indicate I am transmitting when I key the push-to-talk buttons on the sticks. I removed the radio and tried contact cleaner on the connectors, but still no luck.
Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I have had no problems with this radio/intercom for 12 years.

Thanks

I have same setup and same equipment age, radio stopped being readable by tower at low end (118.--). Turns out radio needed repair. I didn't use Garmin. Tech installed new crystal and tuned it up and works good as new again. If you want info on where sent for repair, send PM.

I would check to make sure that the ground going to the ptt switch is not broken off. Also to see if the ptt switch line from the radio to the intercom is not broken.

Back