What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring harness dilemma

joew

Well Known Member
I had Stein build out my panel- it is truly a work of art and very well done. I had all the boxes fitted to my sub panel and configured the GTX 45 to fit behind the panel. When I got the panel back, I noticed the GTX portion was about 8 inches too short and won’t allow the transponder to fit where I intended.
All of the other space is accounted for on the sub panel.

Any suggestions on how to get the length I need or am I stuck trying to splice into the transponder (I don’t like that thought at all).

The photo shows the wires forward. They should be toward the firewall so the transponder could slide from the front. If I reverse the mount, I have no room to slide the box in considering the firewall and rudder pedals.

Attachments

• 6031574D-6D3F-452A-89B1-F2F573AF0999.jpg
    6031574D-6D3F-452A-89B1-F2F573AF0999.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 45329CFE-6562-4EEA-B0BF-67951774835D.jpg
    45329CFE-6562-4EEA-B0BF-67951774835D.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 286
I will guess that you have a GTX 45R, not a GTX 45.

I would not consider splicing the transponder wires. You probably have more than one RS 232 circuit and probably the HSDB ethernet cable, which is very expensive and not spliceable. Talk to Stein. There must have been a misunderstanding somewhere about the length or connector orientation. Did you cross-check their transponder harness length vs. the length you ordered?

If no luck with Stein then my Plan A would be to relocate the GTX 45R to get the harness to work as is.

Depends on how much avionics wiring you have done.
45R is pretty straight forward.
Two pairs of HSDB to/from the GTN.
One serial back to rack GDU
One serial from the ADAHRS
Power/ground/ident.

With the right tools I think you are better off to replace rather than splice.
Or move the box.

The Garmin manual is comprehensive. Definitely doable if you can build an airplane.

Consider making a hinged mount for the tray and using it as is, mounting it reversed. It would be rare that you would be removing the box

Did you provide a wrong wiring length or is the mistake on Stein's account? If the mistake is on their account then they need to fix it, perhaps by providing you another extension that is plug&play. If it is your mistake then it would be nice if they provide a solution with any appropriate/additional charge.

Call Stein - they're great to work with, if they made it too short, they'll find you a solution.

I also have a SteinAir panel, and to solve this issue, I made a tray for the remote transponder that screws into the underside of the panel and subpanel with 3 screws/nutplates each. Easy to install and remove. I've attached 2 pics, below.

_Alex

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.46.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.46.35 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.46.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.46.43 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 152
Back