What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uses for an Ancient iPad?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So this one is so old that the latest iOS it will run is 9.3.6. And when I sent it in to Apple as a tradein (they rejected for who knows what reason), I had to scrub all the apps off.

I've got ForeFlight on my iPhone as a backup nav source plus an aera 660, and a G5 for a backup flight instrument, but not sure what to do with the iPad.

The best idea so far is to load it up with all of the pdfs of the manuals, like I've already done on iPhone, and keep it in the hangar as a reference source. For sure it's lots easier to update pdfs than paper copies...

Installed my 1st Gen Mini behind my front seat with the free app FltPlan Go so my passenger can help me see ADS-B IN targets close to us and follow locations along the moving map.

Of course on the ground she has other interests :)

Not obsolete

My iPad Mini 1 was very capable of running my aviation app. I was using it for a repeater in the rear seat of my RV8 through Wi-Fi from my AFS system. True, it cannot be upgraded to the most current IOS, but that doesn't mean it is worthless. It just depends on what apps you intend to run.

I have a first gen and a third gen iPad (and a newer one). The two older ones are too slow to open the 9.5 mb file of my RV-3B plans. They'll do it, but we'll be in the middle of the next decade before then.

What they are good for is running 32 bit apps that no longer exist. My weight and balance app and the gps2tas app are the most-often used ones of these.

Dave

Just went through this trying to get my ipad 2 to update so I could use it to access my Echo in the hangar. No go. I did read that you could make it a full time photo frame with some app. Not sure if it can even download apps now. I couldn't get the ios 8 to update in my settings area.

Ipad vs. Ipad Mini

Don't confuse the iPad with the iPad Mini.
The iPad 2, 3 and 1st generation iPad Mini are all ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 10.

Back