What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

This Actually Worked!

md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
I have hated this rivet puller for many years. It's always physically exhausting for me to pop 'em with this. Half way through the 25 rivets needed to join the left elevator ribs, I took a rest. And while resting remembered that Van's had mentioned using pipes as handle extensions. Well, I don't have those particular tools on hand at the moment, but I do have these inexpensive hand clamps and gave them a try. Amazing! Could use one hand to tighten the clamp and the other to align the puller. Still wish I could find a puller that I could cycle more than a dozen times without a rest.

https://next.photobucket.com/u/md96...162adf/p/d899e782-84fd-460e-9c30-06945126d140

Thanks, guys, for the recommendation, but I already have one of those. I didn't even try using it, thinking it was too big to reach. Will check it out tomorrow. That would be a hoot if it would reach to the innermost holes given how hard I had to work the hand puller.

FWIW - I used a hydraulic rivet puller that I found relatively cheap on the auction site. Very easy to use and got into most places without a problem. :cool:

FWIW - Using a Hand Rivet Puller

I'm sure you already know this "trick" about operating plier type tools for pulling these rivets - but, if you don't:

You don't need to leave the handles in the full open position to begin the pulling process. You can close the handles to a level comfortable with your ability to close them further under the initial load of starting to pull the rivet. Each successive "pull" can also be made at a partially closed condition until the rivet is to the point of breaking the stem.

This method of "ratcheting" the handles may take a few more "cycles", but even larger diameter rivets can be pulled this way.

Think of the way pneumatic squeezers work - they only provide maximum power at the end of the stroke. That's all your doing here - operating at the end of the power stroke.

YMMV - but this works.

HFS

I usually stay away form Harbour Freight to buy tools. BUT I caved in and bought the $149.00 puller.
Love it. works great and fast.
I didn't buy the $49.00 one just because the cheaper one seemed not as good.
Spending more money usually will get a better tool Hope hope hope.
My three cents worth Art

The Harbor Freight puller works fine for a while. I have "worn out" 2 of them. Zenith Aircraft in Mexico MO. has a similar one for around $100 that works much better.
I've also fount that they work better if you turn the air down to around 50 psi.

I'm sure you already know this "trick" about operating plier type tools for pulling these rivets...

Yes, I'm familiar with the practice and usually use it. I'm thinking the teeth of the puller are wearing out or it's not adjusted correctly. There used to be at least two positions short of full open that I could use. Not anymore. Maybe one if I wiggle the handle just right. There is an adjustment point consisting of a slotted screw inside the head. I've "adjusted" it many times. I'm also getting some rivet stems/shafts that break in half which remain with the 90% pulled rivet. Bad news when that happens! I'm going to take it apart again to check the teeth of the 2-part "gripper" doo-hickey.

Back