What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Black Oxide Steel Fuel Fittings

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Thought this was worth it's own thread because I can't find an answer to this...

I planned on swapping out -6 and smaller aluminum fittings FWF for steel but there was mention in my red cube thread that the black oxide steel fittings readily available at ACS should not be used in fuel lines because of the possibility of corrosion from water in the fuel.

Is this really a concern? Seems the oxide conversion coating is on there for this exact purpose. Also, I don't run ethanol mogas.

I though about stainless but they're harder to find.

The main reason for swapping to steel...my red cube is "free-floating" and I want the extra strength in the fittings.

I have exactly the same black fittings on my red cube for the same reason. It is working fine and I am not worried about it. It is possible to overthink things, usually leading to excessive stomach acid.

I'm just decided to use the SS fittings. I'm not sure about a real problem created by the steel fittings, but I figured they would rust/oxidize to some extent at some point in the future. The SS fitting are available, but more expensive for sure the steel.

stainless

For stainless AN fittings: Rich Industries 928-788-2777
(or any aircraft hardware you can't find anywhere else).

In the last month I have dealt with two fuel selectors in Cherokee 6's that have steel components inside that had pretty severe internal rust.

It is possible to overthink things, usually leading to excessive stomach acid.

I did not consider black oxide unsuitable until I field-stripped an AOG RV and found steel fuel fittings full of rust.

Stainless Steel Galling

Just a heads up, I had used stainless steel screws firewall forward and I had them gall on me. I had to cut the adel clamps to replace.

I would suggest one use a anti seize or a good thread sealant if using stainless steel into aluminum.
I never do this personally due to the galling concern; I much prefer aluminum fittings in an aluminum housing. but that is just me. YMMV

Good prices can also be found from one of our own. Tom S or Steve.

I'll have to place an order when I figure out my fuel hose length...kinda sucks I spend $150 at ACS on the steel. Kinda pricey for something that shouldn't be used

Last edited:
WE like stainless adapters for all the reasons given here-----except the high prices which we dont like either. But for overall reliability with a variety of fluids ( some of which we dont the chemicals in them), I personally believe that stainless is very suitable for or purposes. WE have some stainless that have been flying for over 10 years, and no internal corrosion. Like Dan pointed out a black steel fitting isnt necessarily protected. So it alot in the industrial days.

Tom

Back